Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.9°F | Humidity: 89% | Pressure: 29.80in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 4.5mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

LICEN$E PLATES CA
updated: Jan 20, 2013, 7:15 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

The DMV has rejected my request for "WTFRACK" as a personalized license plate ("offensive"). Who else has had their idea rejected by the DMV, and what was it (assuming it's printable here)?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 365502 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:21 AM

Lol, love that, too bad it was denied.

COMMENT 365506 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:29 AM

Faggio ( scooter plate I wanted, grand theft auto joke )

COMMENT 365511P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:38 AM

OP, I hope you were not surprised at the rejection.

COMMENT 365514P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:46 AM

Off the point, but still makes me laugh; A car on the block of a house I shared (late 80's) while attending college had a plate that read UBONER

COMMENT 365515 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:47 AM

Years ago in Sherman Oaks I saw FN 405 This is down in LA where people sit on the freeway for hours. The censors didn't catch it. It was on a high end Porche. We used to say "effen'" alot back then tooo.

But now in this day of texting and abbreviations, maybe people are more saavy at guessing meanings or acronyms., WTF shouts out "what the f@ck" to everyone.

COMMENT 365518 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:49 AM

There was a story on the news a few years ago about a women who had the license plate "ILOVETOFU" and didn't realize the OTHER meaning with that one.

COMMENT 365528 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 11:16 AM

There was a story in the news probably fifteen or so years ago about a guy who couldn't get his last name, Schmuck, on his license plate.

COMMENT 365538 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:09 PM

3M TA3 got through....That's my favorite.

COMMENT 365539P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:11 PM

WTFRACK.org is an anti-fracking organization in Colorado. So. I guess being against fracking is "offensive" to the DMV. And yes, I know what WTF stands for.

COMMENT 365541 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:13 PM

lol

COMMENT 365542 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:14 PM

538, that's so awesome.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:41 PM

Had a friend years ago his said NE1469, and he got away with it.

COMMENT 365557P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:50 PM

Decades ago there was a sports car in Santa Barbara whose license plate read "smegma."

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 01:05 PM

My favorite NONpersonalized plate was on a car I saw years ago in San Francisco (where else?)--2BIG269.

When personalized plates came out around 1970, a local guy named Bill Riordan asked for, and was issued, the license plate "PUSSY" for his Ford Pinto. He had it for several months before it was revoked by the DMV. Apparently, cops used to stop Riordan all the time, thinking he must have a counterfeit plate.

I was amazed to see "UNCL FKA" on a car near San Diego a couple of years ago. And in another homage to "South Park," I saw a handicapped Virginia plate on the Internet, with the embossed wheelchair icon, bearing the letters "TIMMAY."

A dude in LA had the personalized plate "9 INCH," which could have stood for anything, until you saw the surrounding license plate frame, which said "Try it, you'll like it."

So few letter combinations, so much censorship...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 01:18 PM

I remember smegma...A white BMW with YUP YERS..around the same time.

COMMENT 365584P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 01:47 PM

Many years ago, a local lady had the license plate "MRS HEAD". It was much more innocent time.

COMMENT 365588 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 01:53 PM

527, these laws have been in effect a long, long time and are in every single state. Hardly CA just being a nanny state.

COMMENT 365593P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 02:05 PM

I knew a guy with SUCKS4U. His first name was Sukedu and he was able to explain it to the DMV with the reasoning that his nickname was Su (lie #1) and that he likes to cook (lie #2). :-)

PATRICK agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 02:06 PM

I remember back when they first had personalized license plates, a guy in SF had FU NXN. After the DMV issued it, I guess they realized what the message was and sent him new plates, so he proudly displayed the personalized plates in his front window.

COMMENT 365608 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 02:50 PM

I once saw the CA license plate O2BNU here
in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 365648 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 05:23 PM

I would rather spend a few days in jail then deal with the DMV!

COMMENT 365673P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 07:46 PM

Okay, I feel pretty stupid, but what does 3M TA3 mean?

COMMENT 365674P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 07:47 PM

Best one I've seen in sb is MRSNOB. Can't decide who drives it... Mr. Snob or Mrs. Nob?

COMMENT 365677 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 08:07 PM

My stepdads is up2dn2k

COMMENT 365679 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 08:13 PM

OP here:
In response to 511, no I wasn't surprised they rejected WTFRACK. And I'm not upset either. I do think it's really dumb, but dumb is what I expect from the DMV. Just think, it's someone's actual job (with all the California state employees' associated entitlements) to sit in an office in Sacramento and review these requests. I don't think they're going to take any chances on losing their cush job by letting something iffy slip by.

Do I think WTFRACK is offensive? No. Do I think anyone would truly be offended seeing it on my license plate? No way, at least not any reasonable person. I think that in our present culture of political correctness, we have the sanctioned arbiters of what's acceptable and what's not using the sensibilities of the most thin-skinned among us to guide their pronouncements.

BTW, I got the idea from an episode of "30 Rock" in which one of the characters was wearing a t-shirt that said, in large letters, "What the frack??". That was on prime-time network TV, but apparently is too saucy for people to see in real life. Oh well, WTF
?

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:10 PM

673, I didn't know either:

My favorite is still the red VW bus in SB long ago with a plate of, I think, "VAN GOGH" or "VAN GO"

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:27 PM

@673P: Pretend you see "3M TA3" in your rear-view mirror. What does it now spell?

COMMENT 365699 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:40 AM

@Seeco if you are using primetime tv as your moral yardstick.....

COMMENT 365711P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:09 AM

Glad I didn't get half those mentioned on here.....did like VAN GO....

MESAJIM agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:19 AM

My computer programmer buddy had FREEBSD rejected. apparently that's too close to ”free base”-- drug reference.

COMMENT 365715 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:21 AM

Ha!!! Thanks REX. I needed that laugh. Too early in the morning for me to have figured that out on my own.

COMMENT 365718 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:41 AM

9 years ago my wife bought me an SB8BALL license plate because I ran the local 8-ball pool league and that was the name of our website.

I got pulled over twice within one week of putting on the plate. One time CHP followed me as I exited at Turnpike, then pulled me over on Hollister. When he got to my window he apologized, saying that he thought my tags were expired. I think he figured out what SB8BALL meant when he read the "Pool Players Do It On Cue" license plate frame.

COMMENT 365721 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:50 AM

@699

Touche!

COMMENT 365726 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:10 AM

@ SECCO

Your view of our present culture (as well as government and government jobs) is based on ideology, not fact ... it used to be that people went hiking in suits and in dresses that covered them from neck to toe.

COMMENT 365727 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:10 AM

718 - your story only proves that the avg. cop is indeed well below avg. in intelligence.

COMMENT 365728 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:15 AM

I guy I worked with had TTTTTT9

COMMENT 365731 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:37 AM

Saw a white Mazda Miata driving northbound on 101 at the s-curve. License plate read "LESBIAN". I kid you not. I have a picture to prove it.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 12:56 PM

eat me! ha,ha,ha...

COMMENT 365812 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 01:12 PM

personalized plates are for DB's.

COMMENT 365816 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 01:16 PM

DB365812

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 02:53 PM

@816 "4D WIN."

COMMENT 365850 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 03:10 PM

Several years ago when I commuted between Santa Maria and SLO in the mornings I frequently passed a VW beetle whose plate read ESCARGO.

COMMENT 366033 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 08:53 AM

O2BNU was owned by Mr Roberts (RIP), he owned a few bldgs in IV and was quite a character....

COMMENT 366292 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:37 PM

I also just purchased one and am still waiting to find out if it's been aporved. Mine reads R.A.Y.T.A.R.D. Let's hope! It's only a nickname. How long did it take to find out? and did you end up having to pay anyway?

41% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.