Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 67.1°F | Humidity: 90% | Pressure: 29.79in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15580 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Migraine Medication
updated: Dec 24, 2012, 5:30 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Migraine sufferers: I use the injectable form of the drug Imitrex (generic is sumatriptan) and my local CVS tells me there is a shortage and it's backordered. It's the only thing that gets rid of my migraines. I'm stuck with double-dosing the tablets or nasal spray for only partial relief. Anyone else experience this or heard about it? Or have a pharmacy that has any?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 357194 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 05:34 PM

Go to Urgent care Got one the other day

COMMENT 357195 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 05:42 PM

Your insurance cover an Urgent Care prescription?? Mine does not. Just spent about $100 for infant Tamiflu. No pharmacy had it, only the clinic. If it were not for the baby, would have just suffered the flu. BTW we all had the flu shot this year.

COMMENT 357198 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 05:49 PM

Costco had Sumatriptan, the generic of Imitrix. It work really well. Relpax also works wonders, and is also cheaper than Imitrix.

COMMENT 357221 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:42 PM

Try calling other cvs"s......or call your doctor and ask for a sample dose. Physicians get samples...to pass out to get people to try the expensive meds so it should be available. Good luck, and I hope you dont get a migraine without you meds....sending you happy head thoughts.

COMMENT 357228P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:41 PM

Doctors don't get samples of drugs once they are released in generic form. If you want samples you have to get what the drug companies are currently pushing. For me, I have found that Zomig Nasal Spray works very well, but Sumatriptan gives me chest pains. Thinking about it, not too many people out there are ready and willing to take shots or give them to themselves, so while they work the best for you, they may be stopping them for that reason. I have suffered from crippling migraines from the time I was young. Having Imitrex finally gave all of us suffering from migraines some control over over them and by extension, our lives. All of the "triptans" are just variants of Sumatriptan, so perhaps your Dr's have a newer version of the drugs that would work well for you and give you a real break on the cost. From one sufferer to another, I hope you find some help with your headaches, and will have a pleasant holiday season. Just don't go overboard on the "bubbly!" LOL ; )

COMMENT 357230 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:09 PM

One bad thing about the U.S. health system is that things like effective over-the-counter migraine medications just aren't available. In Great Britain, where codeine products are sold over the counter without a prescription, you can buy some really great products. The Brits have something called "Migra-Leve" (sp?) specifically for migraines, You get a box with a few codeine-based pink pills and a few blue pills. At the very onset of a migraine you take (I think) the pink pill. Most of the time this is enough to vanquish the headache. But if it doesn't, you then take a blue pill--and the migraine really does go away. But since you can't buy codeine OTC in the U.S., we're out of luck.

But Britain isn't all codeine and skittles. In the U.K., you actually need a prescription to buy rubbing alcohol. Go figure.

ANDY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 06:41 AM

Imitrix in pill form? Will that work for you? Dr DiLeo (805 682 8153) really helped me with Migraines. He is a young very bright wonderful doctor. Really patient friendly.

COMMENT 357260P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:55 AM

Used Imitrex for. Years - switched to a generic on recommendation of my insurance! Generic wioks OK i admit it can sometimes take a larger dose to work - not always - and the label even comes with instructions to take more iafter an hour if it hasn't completely worked ( so it must be official: imitrex is stronger. But in a ponch you will find this a solution. Don't know if it's injectable- ask?1

COMMENT 357262 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:58 AM

Migraines SUCK

DANCING SHADOW agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:20 AM

A plant strong diet...salt, oil and sugar free vegan... totally cured my migraines (suffered for 45 years) check out Forks Over Knives. Good luck

COMMENT 357289 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 10:27 AM

So sorry to hear about your migraines. A dear friend was able to figure out that her migraine trigger was Splenda. She switched to stevia & honey, and presto, headaches gone. Not sure if you consume any artificial sweeteners, but they are a common migraine trigger. MSG, sodium benzoate and sulfites are other culprits. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas!

LILAC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 05:28 PM

My friend, who has suffered for many years with horrid migraines, has stopped eating anything with GMOs, especially gluten, canola oil and corn and no more migraines. Try and get a copy of a documentary called Genetic Roulette. An eye opener! There is also a book "The migraine brain". Amazon.

COMMENT 357373P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:59 PM

It is Dr. Delio and he is alot less expensive than his fellow office mates. In my opinion, and in my experience any one who is not willing to take a shot for the pain, has not really experienced a true migraine. Also, for those out there who say they've had "one" mirgaine, you do not ever have just "one" migraine. The pain is unbearable, sensitivity to light and sound. Auras, dizziness, floaters in your vision. Pain so unbearable that you cannot get out from under it for even a few minutes. I used to go to the Immedicenter about twice a month before Imitrex came out and they gave shots. Three to be exact. Which is better? One shot that you control where and when it happens, or finding someone to drive you, getting there, having to convince the Dr's and nurse that you are not "drug seeking," and then receiving them? I am also going to touch on cost here. A hundred dollars for Imitrex, or $340 for each visit to the Immedicenter, which, by the way, the insurance only covered one visit a month? Just saying. It has also come to my attention that with one of the new street drugs they are spending so much money on mimic the symptoms of my migraines. Whadda ya know!

COMMENT 357444 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-26 12:51 PM

OP here. Thank you for all the support, good wishes, and recommendations. I'm a long-time sufferer, "been there done that" with all the medications, preventative and "rescue". Have a great neurologist, do everything right, know my triggers and still get them now and then. Sumatriptan (Imitrex) injections are the only thing that will stop a bad one in its tracks. The shots are incredibly painful for about 30 seconds, but with total relief from a full body impairment in as little as 15 minutes sometimes, it's totally worth it. I don't think they aren't making the injections, just that there is a shortage for some reason. Must be the holiday rush! I did try to get my Rx transferred to another pharmacy at the 11th hour on Christmas Eve with no result. At least I had the tablets and was able to end the migraine eventually. Wondering now if/when I'll hear from one of the pharmacies about the refill....

COMMENT 357456P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-26 03:09 PM

I found that the injection is in and working before the loud click leaves my hearing. The first one I took made me feel something akin to lock jaw, AND at the same time feel like I'd peed my pants!

47% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.