Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 66.2°F | Humidity: 82% | Pressure: 29.71in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login Edhat, where you create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15635 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Santa Barbara Storm
updated: Dec 22, 2012, 3:00 PM

By Steve McGovern

It must be a bit disappointing to plan a trip to Santa Barbara and then get here for a weekend like this one is likely to be. Storm(s) coming in just in time for a gray Christmas (although the more optimistic forecasts say it will not rain on Christmas), and it will be gloomy around here. A small bit of wonder could have been had if one were up at sunrise or shortly after this morning though. The leading edge of the storm invaded a crystal clear sky and the clouds combined with the early sunlight made for stunning views. I was on the Wharf at 7:00 and here is some of what I saw.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 03:10 PM

Resembles a wave..

JAZZEE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 03:13 PM

Thanks for sharing. My fave is No. 3.

COMMENT 356763P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 03:25 PM

I woke up this morning, and saw a crisp-edged wave of clouds outside my window. Half the sky was blue, half was cobalt and steel gray. I wanted to laze in bed, but with a sight that remarkable I had to scramble for my camera. I love Santa Barbara weather. Even the approaching storms have intrinsic beauty and drama.

COMMENT 356780 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 04:19 PM

Caught that small bit of wonder too this morning at day break. Like a cloud blanket being pulled over the land. Put the dog in the car and chased the front up Mission, then APS for a better view and finished up with an East Beach walk... the view of which was your last photo. Was worth it to say goodby to the sun.

Thanks for the pics!

CHERIDIANE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 04:19 PM

Dramatic! Interesting pics. I too love Santa Barbara weather and love seeing photos of it. Well, I best love seeing the real thing, but often I appreciate seeing views like yours that I cannot see for myself or for the artistry of the photography. Thank you.

COMMENT 356790 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 04:46 PM

I love these storm photos

COMMENT 356794P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 05:15 PM

Really cool pictures of a once in a lifetime Santa Barbara weather event.

COMMENT 356803 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 06:14 PM

Its just not really clear, whether we live in a beautiful place or not. hmm. thanks for the great pictures!

COMMENT 356805 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 06:29 PM

Great photos Steve!

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 08:04 PM

cool when you can capture such a dramatic front coming in! very nice lighting effects too. nice job!

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-23 09:18 AM

Great shots, really get the feel. My favorite is also #3, the one with Moby Dick's. Nice composition and of course the light! Thanks for posting.

COMMENT 356917 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-23 10:34 AM

We sure live in a beautiful place! I am astounded by it anew regularly and I've been here over 30 years!

COMMENT 356928 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-23 11:19 AM

Lovely captures. Am surprised none made Pic of the Day.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-23 05:56 PM

Awesome pictures of the front. I love the lighting in photo #3

57% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.