Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.9°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.83in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15685 Subscribers
      688 Paid (4.4%)
     167 Commenters
     102966 Page Views

Bike MS
Bike MS

Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)
Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)

The Winehound
The Winehound

Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours
Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

UPS and FedEx Package Thefts
updated: Dec 20, 2012, 5:19 PM

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

The Santa Barbara Police Department has begun receiving reports of UPS and FedEx package thefts. The parcels are being stolen from front doorsteps after they have been delivered. On December 18, 2012 a package was taken from a residence on 1400 W. Valerio Street and on December 20, 2012 packages were taken from residences on 1500 W. Valerio Street and 600 W. De La Guerra Street.

Although the thefts have thus far occurred on the Westside, residents throughout the city should remain vigilant and report suspicious activity immediately to the Santa Barbara Police Department by calling 9-1- 1. Residents expecting the delivery of packages are encouraged to use online tracking services provided by UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service and to retrieve their packages as soon as possible after delivery.

Suspicious circumstances near Cannon Drive at Madrona, be on the lookout for a 2-door white Ford Focus with a Hispanic couple inside following a UPS Truck. (12/07/12)
2347 13

Back to Main Story

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 06:42 PM

I saw a guy walking around my HOOD today dressed in a UPS Uniform but I didn't see a truck unless it was in the back of the parking lot next door. He was walking around drinking an orange soda and watching the mail woman as she was crusing up the street delievering male. So of course I watched him for a second and greeted him he smiled greeting me back nothing seemed to be out of the ordanary. Just in case he was about 5'10 large but not fat build short black hair hispanic male adult 28-32. He was also wearing what looked like a brown UPS uniform with black shoes. He was not our regular UPS Man. I have never seen a UPS Man walking around like he had nothing to do drinking a sota especally around Christmas.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 06:42 PM

Mail, must be the tea..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 06:43 PM

Soda hahaha...I'm bad.

COMMENT 356209P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 06:52 PM

This time of year the drivers have helpers, who sometimes jump out to deliver a package and meet the truck a few houses further ahead. Also, tonight we got a package delivered by a tiny, quiet UPS mini-van. (My dogs usually hear the big trucks a mile away, because they get cookies from the driver. What can Brown do for you)!
This might explain how you could see a UPS person without a truck close by, but yes, your observation seems well-taken. What's to stop someone from donning a brown shirt and shorts and posing?

COMMENT 356246P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 08:07 PM

Glad you clarified that Roger, I was gonna order a male!

COMMENT 356247P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 08:09 PM

Thanks 209P, for the accurate info. I've seen new or unknown guys in my neighborhood. They work their butts off, and my mail woman is working until 6 or 7 p.m.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 09:05 PM

I know they work late during the holidays I'm not tupid ya know...Just an observation I'm going to watch my male get delievered tomorrow too, hopefully I could trade him in for a female.

COMMENT 356294 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 06:59 AM

Perhaps decoy packages containing dog excrement placed where thefts have happened. Maybe the wrapping is flimsy and not up to UPS standard as well :)

COMMENT 356320 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 08:26 AM

Just yesterday afternoon I found a postal package in front of my house on the westside. It was from a different neighborhood and had been ripped open and discarded with empty Christmas wrappings inside. The police came and took it. Sad that someone took the time and trouble to send a gift to friends or family, only to have it stolen!

COMMENT 356348 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 09:19 AM

Heard about this a couple weeks ago on edhat and remembered to ask for signature verification. HoHoHo!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 10:35 AM

Really sad people getting their gifts ripped off..Life is hard enough.

COMMENT 356418 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 11:45 AM

I recommend all packages be sent with "signature required". This should add less than $2 to the cost of shipping, but the UPS man will hand it to you personally and not leave it to be stolen. Whenever you order anything, just request such, and there should be no problem. This is the way I sent out my Christmas gifts this year, even though most of them were not wine and did not require a signature. Good luck.

COMMENT 356421 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 12:02 PM

Stealing packages would be pretty easy. Just driving around town I have seen packages on the front porches of numerous houses.

COMMENT 356437 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 12:36 PM

Seems like the UPS and Fedex drivers will have to keep an eye out behind them to see if they are being tailed. If they are, a quick call to the PD should take care of this problem. Unless it is your neighbor doing the stealing, then a small camera should also be a quick fix.

I hope jail is an enjoyable place for the thieves this time of year!

Does anyone know who is liable if UPS says they delivered a package but have no proof, and you say you never received It? Can you dispute the charge on your credit card?

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 02:10 PM

Recently I have had FedEX "Home Delivery" toss several fragile boxes over the fence and into my yard. The UPS guys always take the extra steps to walk the package to the front door where it will be concealed from the street. Call FedEX to complain? You are told that their "Home Delivery" is a separate company that uses independent contractors and it is not their problem.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 02:41 PM

Alot of citizens out there watching had a report on Soledad little while ago turned out to be a real UPS Worker.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 05:37 PM

Maybe the assistant who delivers the packages should ride shotgun---literally.

COMMENT 356539 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 06:34 PM

I'm sending several packages of hot, steaming dog turds to myself via UPS and FEDEX as bait.

Ok, package thieves, bring it on!

COMMENT 356813 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 07:17 PM

Sometimes it's even an inside job.

Did you see the news report from Houston (including surveillance video) showing a UPS driver stealing an iPad Mini from a front porch shortly after it was delivered by a FEDEX driver!?

You can't make this stuff up!

COMMENT 359322 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-02 01:16 PM

Things get stolen off doorsteps in Oak Park often. Recently had a blender snapped up before I could get home to retrieve it!

55% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.