Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 72.1°F | Humidity: 68% | Pressure: 30.04in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 1.9mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15932 Subscribers
      650 Paid (4.1%)
     51 Commenters
     44159 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Dec 20, 2012, 4:15 PM

The Santa Barbara Police Department's "Coffee with a Cop" is getting kudos from the officer who started the national program.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 356157 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:54 PM

LOL It's like having City Council meetings in the middle of the week, during "working hours"... MOST citizens are at WORK and unable to attend 'cause we WORK our butts off to live here...
Have these meetings in the evening please...!

COMMENT 356181 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 05:44 PM

I'm okay with morning times, but it'd be nice if some of them weren't on Thursday since the secondary schools have late start that morning. Even so, I hope to make it to one soon and will just feel a bit embarrassed about walking in late. :-)

COMMENT 356283 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 10:32 PM

I attended today and was surprised to see how many cops were there. I thought it was going to be a Mesa event with the one local beat cop. They were friendly and happy to have people to chat with. You don't need to show up at the start time, it's more of an open house type event, with informal discussions.

COMMENT 356315 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 07:58 AM

I tried but I couldn't make my way through all the gang thugs and panhandlers to meet the cops at a doughnut shop.

COMMENT 356336 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 08:54 AM

This is a wonderful program, and a great opportunity to build community relations. Perhaps it could be expanded and/or modified to include alternative hours (such as early evening and weekends) to accommodate more people. Thank you SBPD for your support of our community!!

COMMENT 356370 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 09:52 AM

I agree with 6157--by holding the Coffee with a Cop during hours in which most people work they're avoiding a large segment of the population. Great idea but evening or weekend sessions would be appreciated.

COMMENT 356486P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 04:06 PM

I sure would've liked to have met Chris Cognac, the Hungry Detective! Seems like one heck of a man and cop. I had no idea he started or was involved with the program.
(When I have a question, I just run into a cop in my neighborhood, or call the PD. I think it's a great program. Agree that it should be held when 8-5 workers can attend.)

14% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.