Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 68.5°F | Humidity: 18% | Pressure: 29.90in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Milpas Holiday Parade
updated: Dec 20, 2012, 3:45 PM

By Joe Rockwell

Wanted to share a few pictures from the Milpas Holiday Parade last weekend. Amazed at how low the turnout for this was.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 356129 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 03:48 PM

Low turnout...I can't imagine why?

COMMENT 356136 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:02 PM

Obviously most people here have no appreciation for what it takes to build and restore these cars and the lowrider bikes. I used to build the bikes for fun while I was in law school and I'm about as non-gangster as it gets. Maybe it's not your White Christmas, but it is still pretty darn cool!

COMMENT 356140 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:17 PM

Personally, I'm not big on parades in general, and especially one where everyone has to breath in the exhaust of all of those cars! Everyone must have been looking out for their potential future health issues - ie: a good explanation for the low turnout...

and I will admit, I have no appreciation for what it takes to build and restore these cars...the bike part is cool though...

COMMENT 356143 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:18 PM

Um, so if you drive a certain type of car and work on it to get it hydraulically altered you're a gangster?

Ridiculous.

COMMENT 356144 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:19 PM

gee, i'd love to have a little less racism for christmas!

COMMENT 356158 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 04:54 PM

BEST parade ever. It's a shame how divided our community is, and how many uneducated/racist people exist in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 356182P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 05:46 PM

why anyone would want to put small diameter wheels on their car and then stretch the cheapest economy tire they can find on a rim 2 inches too wide is beyond me. i'm surprised these guys don't have blowouts all the time, it's actually pretty dangerous to grossly under size your tires. can't turn or stop very well and you end up driving on your sidewalls. oh well, to each their own.

COMMENT 356213P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 07:03 PM

Frankly, I am ashamed of my town right now. These pictures made it look like it was nothing but low-rider cars, and the reactions show what people really think...very ugly. There were a lot of youth from area schools, the mayor and council, a county official, and the sheriff. I saw luxury, historic cars and a race car driven by a kid at one of the schools here. I totally enjoyed that parade, and embrace that we have a Latino culture in this city. I liked this parade a lot better than the bland downtown parade. I am, however, a lot less certain about the open-mindedness of my fellow citizens after reading this thread.

COMMENT 356215P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 07:07 PM

I loved the Chinese lion dance team in this parade! Why didn't you catch them? What a treat! The low-rider cars were interesting, not my thing, but ok. My kid was in the La Cumbre Jr High marching band, and they were great! Agreed, though, some small minds out there.

COMMENT 356238 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 07:55 PM

You know, poo-pooers will always exist, casting aspersions where they can, sowing disdain, and downing the efforts of others in which they have not participated. Why? Because it costs them nothing to do so, and they pat themselves on the back that they have imagined themselves somehow superior to those they have just disdained. Real courage is showing up and being part of an integrated, unified community, if only for one day. Ah, but that would take courage and effort, and poo-pooers have no courage, which is why they take anonymous potshots. They won't expend effort - too costly. Better to continue to think highly of oneself while disdaining others. Thus does imagined superiority perpetuate itself. For those engaging in it, you missed a chance to display openness, acceptance, and a willingness to experience something special. One can only hope your imagined superiority offers cold comfort to you instead.

COMMENT 356239P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 07:57 PM

Why did the photographer focus only on the vehicles in the parade? I'd like to see some of the other entries.

LOUWHO? agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-20 08:01 PM

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that I missed it. Looks like a lot of fun. I will make a point to attend next year!!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 10:30 AM

Wow was ill didn't go the cars are beautiful. I used to drive a 65 Pontiac LowRider It didn't look as good as these cars but it was fun.

COMMENT 356573P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-21 09:23 PM

Only a very small portion of the parade was cars, There were lots of our local school bands, a mariachi singer, dancers, etc. This photographer evidently just likes cars.

COMMENT 356686P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-22 10:07 AM

I would have agreed, 573P, but he only shot low-riders, and framed it like the parade was all about that. There were historic cars, the fire engine, luxury classic cars, and the sheriff's car that were really cool too.

53% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 5 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #