Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 69.5°F | Humidity: 65% | Pressure: 30.06in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

MOHS Procedure
updated: Dec 13, 2012, 11:45 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

I received a phone message that at my last routine dermatology a biopsy resulted in something suspect. They want me to schedule a procedure called MOHS.

After some Internet research, MOHS appears to be a relative simple in-office procedure. My local dermatologist's office provided the name of Dr. Roy Grekin a dermatologic surgery specialist to preform the procedure. Does anybody know about him?

I have many options considering my medical insurance is an Anthem Blue Cross PPO plan. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 353670 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 12:38 PM

I've heard fantastic things about him. Great doc from SF, amazing at MOHS, but new in town, so not much of a local reputation yet. I work in a derm office, and am basing this off what I hear the docs say. Keep in mind, we maybe the same office that referred you, so I'm not sure how much stake you want to take in what I say except that the docs really do think he's currently the best in town for MOHS. We don't get commission or bonuses for referring you to him, and we still have to see you to follow up after the procedure, so we want you to get the best sx available (makes it easier to monitor down the road!). Hopefully some people who have gone to him for MOHS can chime in.

COMMENT 353752 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 04:44 PM

Are you really taking doctor referrals from strangers online?

SYVPEANUT agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 06:22 PM

As a blonde, blue eyed adult, I am currently experiencing basal cell carcinomas as the result of a lifetime outdoors. I have been going to Dr. Roberta Sengelmann who performs the MOHS technique. She is especially fantastic at reconstructing facial surgeries after MOHS. In my opinion the removal of the cancer is only the beginning. The reconstruction is the part you will live with for the rest of your life. Having a surgeon that expertly and artistically sews it together allows you to continue your life without carrying the cancer trauma forward.

COMMENT 353868P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 09:58 PM

Dr. Roberta Sengelman is an established expert in MOHS in town.

COMMENT 353889P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 02:00 AM

Mine on a cheek was done by Dr. Hammond, and you can't even see where it was. He's a great combo of friendly and efficient.

COMMENT 353906P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 07:18 AM

I would not recommend Dr.Sengleman, she left a very noticeable scar on my face, and since she couldn't fix that, I then had to go to LA to have it repaired. There are better MD;s for MOHS, Sadly I don' think SB has much f a choice,. Maybe this new guy is better.

COMMENT 353931 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 08:19 AM

My father went to UCLA for MOHS surgery of his lip and had to have lip reconstruction. They did a great job.

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 09:04 AM

752: this is why the question is asked on edhat. More information, not necessarily the decision.

COMMENT 353956 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 09:36 AM

I had MOHS surgery on my nose in San Jose by a surgeon who my regular dermatologist said had done the first MOHS operations in this area and teaches the technique to other surgeons.

Yes, I can see the scar if I look carefully but without any follow-up surgery. Only a slightly paler line that I have to look carefully to see.

So don't figure you will absolutely need follow up surgery.

COMMENT 353992 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-14 10:36 AM

Dr. Grekin is, according to my sources in the San Francisco medical community, probably the best MOHS guy on the West Coast. He's the Vice Chairman of the department at UCSF. I guess he's now spending half his time in Santa Barbara. Go figure. Anyway, if I was having someone cut into my face, he's the guy I'd go to.

HOOSIER NOT agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-15 09:37 AM

Scarring is also a matter of how deep they have to go to get all the "roots" so people can have varying scars based on how extensive the cancer is. I had a "one slice" pass over an area on my nose and the scar is only noticeable by me however, had it been deeper, the doctor advised that the scar would have been more obvious to the casual observer.

55% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.