Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.6°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 30.00in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15547 Subscribers
      700 Paid (4.5%)
     1 Commenters
     1563 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Bike MS
Bike MS

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Coastal Studying
updated: Dec 12, 2012, 2:41 PM

By Jason Chapman

Jason Chapman shows what it is like to study as a UCSB Gaucho.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 353385 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:57 PM

not a bad place to study! ;)

COMMENT 353397 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 03:33 PM

It looks nice now but can you remember back to the 70s when we had cheap tuition, cheap housing, and a guaranteed good-paying job when we graduated? Plus uncrowded surf spots? I'd trade my iphone and Prius in a Santa Barbara minute to be back there again.

COMMENT 353402 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 03:41 PM

I remember the 70s in SB. Relative to today, it was cheap. But relative to the rest of the country/state in the 70s, no. No, it was absolutely not cheap to live here.

We still have uncrowded surf spots compared to other places. We just aren't a well-kept secret anymore, sadly.

But we still live in paradise.

COMMENT 353407 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 03:47 PM

U Can Study Buzzed

COMMENT 353438 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 05:42 PM

3407-Had not heard that one yet. When we were kids we used to say"UCSurfBrat=instant californian.Just add seawater."

COMMENT 353445 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 05:52 PM

I moved here in '75 because it was cheaper than staying in NJ after I graduated college.

PATRICK agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 06:42 PM

Reminds me of an older guy I was talking to once, who recalled a discussion with his grandson who was heading off to UCSB. The grandfather asked the kid what he was going to take, and the kid replied "Both my short board and longboard".

COMMENT 353569 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 08:22 AM

I think my 1955 "incidental fee" was $52 a semester or maybe it was less and it got to $52 the 4th year...

The first year or two I parked free on the sand outside the clasroom in the Physical Science Building where my 8 AM class met.

It's a different world out there and rather than a beautiful spread out campus UCSB has become a maze of buildings each blocking out the sun from a nearby building. A collection of "fiefdoms" with lousy or no master planning resulting in a maze of wandering pathways... Sure not like a midwestern university I went to for a master's degree after graduating from UCSB.

COMMENT 353585 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 09:10 AM

I agree with 569. My fees in 1966 were about $100/quarter. And it was a beautiful, spread out campus with lots of open areas, easy (if not free) to find parking. I loved walking through the waist-high wildflower field between IV and the drama building to get to classes.

TROLLEY TOM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 02:06 PM

I can remember studying on the beach at UCSB in 1957...not an easy thing to do. I paid $100 a semester (remember what those were) and $85/month room and board. By the time my kids got there in '87 it was about $10,000/year including books, tuition, and room and board...now think what the costs are.

COMMENT 353841 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 08:45 PM

Funny, I remember my first quarter tuition in '68 as $50.00. It was paradise. I don't remember jobs available upon graduation. Maybe that's why I went to grad school. Where are the girls in the photo?

18% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.