Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 47.7°F | Humidity: 86% | Pressure: 30.10in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15903 Subscribers
      665 Paid (4.2%)
     1 Commenters
     1421 Page Views

Free Flu Shots
Free Flu Shots

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

La Colina Sidewalk Project
updated: Dec 12, 2012, 12:48 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

I don't have pictures, but I noticed last night that the sidewalk project on La Colina is underway. The City is building a sidewalk where there was none between Pesetas Ln and Lee Dr. That means quite a few front yards have been dug up. The winning concrete bid apparently went to Mendez Concrete Inc from Santa Paula. Apparently this is part of Measure A, Safe Routes to School. This stretch is across from both Bishop HS and Hope School.

Click this link with more information.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 353353 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:04 PM

They should do the unpaved sections of La Cumbre as part of safe routes to school too. Living on the street, I would hate to have part of my "yard" "taken" but there are so many sections with just dirt or worse bushes blocking and so many Jr High students that often step out in the street, it is dangerous, I have been nearly hit many times.

COMMENT 353363 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:18 PM

I drove by last night, we lived across the street from Hope school years ago in one of those houses and its more than a little piece of the yard they lost, but new driveways would be cool Interesting to see how they will deal with the drainage being below street grade, because the houses were built before the road was paved.

COMMENT 353364P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:20 PM

They didn't "lose" any yard, it wasn't theirs to begin with. You'd be blown away by how much of your front yard is actually owned by the city. Tens of feet from the roadway in many locations.

COMMENT 353373 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:34 PM

At the Modoc and Portesuello intersection (by La Cumbre Jr. High) that was recently reconfigured for pedestrian safety, one of the houses _gained_ a bunch of front yard. Even if they don't actually own it, what a nice thing to happen!

COMMENT 353383 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 02:56 PM

On live on Lee Dr. and saw the work they were doing this morning. It appears the street is going to be more narrow in order to accommodate the sidewalk. Will there still be parking on both sides of La Colina with street being so narrow?

COMMENT 353439 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 05:44 PM

By all the front yard space that was removed, I'm not sure why you would deduce that the street would be narrowed at all. That seems like it would become unsafe for traffic - going from wide to narrow to wide again, along that stretch of La Colina. Unless this is a new bulb-out type of situation, designed to make the sidewalks ultra-safe? I guess I should read the link to see what's proposed... Please excuse me as I go do that now... ;-)

COMMENT 353446 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 05:52 PM

Wow, it's the City's longest bulb-out? Found this at measure a dot net: "Provide safe pedestrian route of travel along the South Side of La Colina Road from Pesetas Lane to Lee Drive. The Project will: replace 4 existing non-ADA compliant ramps; install 3 additional ADA compliant ramps; install approximately 900 linear feet of sidewalk and driveway improvements, and street width will be narrowed to accommodate the new sidewalk and reduce traffic speed in the area. Some repair work to the north side of the road will be included in the project. the project is currently in at 60% design phase in Fall 2011."

I haven't found any other online docs saying the design changed. I'm of course, all for school safety for kids walking - but if I owned those houses I'd be livid to lose my on-street parking. We already have a crossing guard on duty for Hope School, and lots of signs.

COMMENT 353543 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 07:17 AM

My on-street parking is more important than dead pedestrians. And I own that land now because I planted a hedge on it along the street.

COMMENT 353603 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 09:41 AM

The speeders are the problem. I suspect this project won't slow them down.

COMMENT 353609 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 09:59 AM

603, viability (or the lack of it) is a big issue too at the La Colina/La Cumbre school crossing.

For fun, try and turn left from La Colina to La Cumbre; Very tricky to see cars coming down La Cumbre and just across the street is one of those areas with no sidewalk and lots of home owner bushes.

Add to that people passing on the right shoulder when someone is turning on to La Colina. It is a deadly accident just waiting to happen there (and a spot I was brushed by a car too)

10% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.