Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 69.8°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.96in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15538 Subscribers
      700 Paid (4.5%)
     24 Commenters
     28722 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Bike MS
Bike MS

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Structure Fire With Explosion
updated: Dec 10, 2012, 1:18 PM

Source: Santa Barbara County Fire Department

At 9:00 pm on December 8, 2012, the Santa Barbara County Fire Department responded to a gas leak in a residential structure located at 6624 Trigo Road in Isla-Vista. SBC FD responded three engines, one truck company and one battalion chief to the scene. SBC FD was assisted by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department.

Upon arrival to the scene, firefighters found a one story occupied duplex that had experienced an explosion. Firefighters were briefed by a Sheriff's deputy that an explosion had occurred and that a potential patient had fled the scene.

Upon entering the structure, firefighters confirmed that there had been an explosion with a fire flash that was out on arrival. The building presented with moderate damage to the kitchen from the ensuing fire and the windows and sliding glass door had been blown out.

The cause of the incident was investigated by Santa Barbara County Fire Department Investigators and Arson Task Force. The explosion resulted from the illegal act of obtaining "Hashish Oil" from marijuana plants.

Subsequent to the event, a person was taken into custody and detained by the Sheriff's Department at the Isla Vista Foot Patrol Office. Mathew David Bacon, 31 of Isla Vista was arrested by Santa Barbara County Fire Investigators for 451(b) PC (Arson), 11377.6 HS (Conspiracy) and bail was set at $250,000 dollars.

Mr. Bacon was transported to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital for treatment for minor burns to his face and arm.

Possible gas leak. Full fire response, 6624 Trigo. SBSO on scene. (12/09/12)
1047 4

Back to Main Story

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 352438P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:52 PM

Interesting. I doubt the arrested person was willfully and maliciously trying to burn the structure or property (he just wanted the end product) but I see in the law's language how he can be charged with "willfully caus[ing] ... the burning." If it was me, I might prefer a drug charge. I'd like to know what happens; it'll probably be pleaded out. wonder why there's no possession charge -- guess it all vaporized?

"451. A person is guilty of arson when he or she willfully and
maliciously sets fire to or burns or causes to be burned or who aids,
counsels, or procures the burning of, any structure, forest land, or
property.
(b) Arson that causes an inhabited structure or inhabited property
to burn is a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison
for three, five, or eight years."

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:58 PM

Idoit.

COMMENT 352449P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 04:06 PM

As are those who set their stoves and kitchens on fire on Turkey Day.

COMMENT 352452 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 04:09 PM

438p, a very nice woman in our neighborhood set her house on fire on Thanksgiving Day. She wasn't an idiot at all. She had a very nice home and maintained it well. Unfortunately, she had a short in her electric oven and a wall fire started.

Hardly an idiot. Why the rush to call people names rather than thank goodness that you're not the one with a burnt home?

COMMENT 352462P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 04:24 PM

438, me, was making a point! and did so badly, by responding as I did to the "idiot" comment. Sorry. I don't think someone who has a stove fire is an idiot. Though a multipurpose extinguisher is always a good idea

COMMENT 352478 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 05:09 PM

452, fair enough. I can see what you were saying, now. Thanks for that! :)

Poor lady had TWO extinguishers and it didn't help. She only lost her kitchen, though she was lucky.

COMMENT 352482 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 05:15 PM

I think it was Richard Pryor who wants said " I just mixed the milk with the cookies and pow".

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:44 PM

I think anyone whom mixes potently flammable matierals together with no reguard for other people or their neighbor is an idoit. I indulge but I put no one at risk I wasn't talkin Turkey I was talking hashish.

COMMENT 352532 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:51 PM

You are high! how would you know if you were putting people at risk?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:44 PM

There was an explosion they ought to throw the guy in jail.

COMMENT 352603P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 01:52 AM

I know better than to argue with ya Roger! you always somehow win.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 06:41 AM

Yea and it's aganist the law to pull scrap like that unless your rich of course..

COMMENT 352660P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:33 AM

438, continuing the discussion- (I probably misspoke here in more than one place but I'm just sharing some of my ideas and playing a thought game. I got no horse in this race. I find it interesting and entertaining.

Turkey and fat, even without deep frying, can cause a fire. I've seen people use a couple of sticks of butter under the turkey skin. They are mixing potentially flammable material, especially in a gas stove, not an lesser electric like mine.

Anyone who deep fries a turkey is mixing potentially flammable materials, and I know many who have done so, but only a few live in SB, and dayum those turkeys were Good! But if there's an accident on a concrete surface that a turkey frying is taking place on ? (Because you'd never fry on any other surface or inside a building, right? Right! And you have appropriate fire extinguishers directly at hand, right? Good.) If the oil, alight or not, got to a neighbor's or the cook's house? I don't think the law would be so quick to charge the cook with arson. Of course it would be a simple insurance issue. The turkey cooks didn't intend to burn anything down! But many people think that people who use turkey fryers are idiots, in great part because accidents do happen.

I think the arson charge is because marijuana product was involved, they're hitting him hard. (at this point I forgot the other charge.) I still am wondering if they hit him with it because there was no drug material left with which to charge him with possession, so they had to get him for something. Or used arson because it was a stronger charge, with more punishment, than a drug possession charge.

What I'm saying is that this guy trying to make hash oil might be as much of an "idiot" as someone trying to roast or fry a turkey, when the cooks are uneducated and/or inexperienced. I don't think he wanted to destroy or burn the building.
I dried pot in my parent's gas stove when I was a kid. Would I have been charged with arson if it blew? no way. Some other possibilities: What if the property owner or manager becomes somehow, to some extent, responsible because the oven hadn't been inspected or repaired? What if the Gas Co. were to get dragged in? Yeah, I'm getting gleeful now, in play. Very unlikely it would happen, but we'll never know if something other than how he used the stove caused the explosion. Sorry. I'm done. Pass it off to insomnia.

Ha... [ more ]

COMMENT 352665P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:47 AM

Roger I absolutely totally agree that money buys justice! On Sunday, 60 Minutes did a report on two of many Cook County cases in which all the black kids/ alleged perps gave false confessions. All those black men who were finally freed were teens at the time their confessions were coerced. DNA evidence was found and eventually tested and traced to serial killers and rapists who were already jailed... Oh my, how the system can fail so horribly.

COMMENT 352675P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:58 AM

The rest of my "continuing the discussion" post:

Having an accident does not make one an idiot. Well, it may do so, but it shouldn't make one an arsonist, just as peeing in public shouldn't make one a sex offender/ exhibitionist. Detailed facts are needed to decide the issue.

Sure, if it comes out that he ('the perp") was carrying, a big dealer, abusive to people, or whatever, I'd feel differently. And that's why there's limits on what is admissible in court. If anyone read this far, thanks!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 12:57 PM

Cooking food in a kitchen is different than preparing drugs in one..Most people that prepare drugs use a garage, or the better idea a trailer or rv far away from other units where people live. I am glad the perp is being fried for doing what he did. I remember other idoits on DLV near Carrillo basically did the same thing which pretty much took out an apartment building..Drying out pot in the oven would not result in an explosion unless there was a gas leak.

75% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.