Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 71.2°F | Humidity: 66% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15841 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this
HISTORY

Got A Light?
updated: Dec 11, 2012, 4:30 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

UPDATE: To go along with the posting of vintage matchbooks of local businesses and recent postings of menus of restaurants gone by, thought I'd share my collection of local matchbooks. Great memories of great meals at these places.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Sunburst Farms gave out matches at their Gaviota restaurant. Hope everyone sees a place that causes them to smile.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 352035 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:36 PM

Amazing how many memories... Great collection!

COMMENT 352050P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:06 PM

Orange one reads "Bray's."

COMMENT 352065 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:56 PM

Wow
I feel old because I remember those places!!!
Great Collection!

COMMENT 352069P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 11:11 PM

I smiled!

COMMENT 352075P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 11:53 PM

"Got a light?" was usually safer than "Got a match?". The latter usually led to replies unrelated to smoking.

I had this hobby for about twelve years. When I graduated from high school and moved away, I left them behind and never thought about them again til now. I would guess I had about three or four hundred from nearly all fifty states, four Canadian provinces and a few other places.

Thanks for sharing this photo. I remember a lot of these businesses!

COMMENT 352080 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:39 AM

Unfortunately lighters are replacing the matchbook. How cool your collection is. Thanks for sharing!

TOTCH agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:26 AM

Great collection: Harry's Plaza was a favorite.
Anyone remember when he had his place in the La Arcada? Jimmy Campiglia played his violin with two others filling out the trio. Good food!

COMMENT 352088 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:29 AM

Interesting collection and it is nice to see the names of the oldtime local businesses. But it is kind of like have an asbestos collection, isn't it?

It brings back memories for me of asthma and coughing in a world where every business encouraged people to make themselves and everyone else around them sick (and worse) from tobacco smoke. I'll stay in the present where the air is cleaner rather tan traveling back in time.

RONNIEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:37 AM

Terrific! A few years ago I found a matchbook on eBay from the Northside Laundomat & Cleaners, which my parents opened at 3040 State Street around 1947. I also found a radio tube on eBay from the radio/music store at 715 State Street that my grandfather Val Felger owned in the 1920s and 1930s. (Paseo Nuevo is there now.) Treasures are out there if you look for them!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:14 AM

Great collection, thanks for the memories.

COMMENT 352140 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:38 AM

Ahh, Bray's....Been trying to replicate their fluffy square bisquits for 20 years...

COMMENT 352187 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:57 AM

Harry sold out his interest in the El Cielito restaurant in La Arcada to Josie when he opened his new restaurant in Loreto Plaza. (not Harry's Townhouse Restaurant up above the plaza and across the street from 11th hole of the Municipal Golf Course) Josie ran El Cielito for years until she sold out (or moved out) and later opened her restaurant and bar in San Roque using her own name "Josie's". The Acapulco Mexican chain opened a resteraunt in the old El Cielito space after Josie left.

COMMENT 352193 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 10:12 AM

088- Give your self-rightousness a rest.Matches were an intrigual part of life not to long ago. I still carry them just in case and no, I dont smoke.

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:17 AM

What a great collection! Thanks for sharing. I smiled in happy memories at quite a few of those places.

COMMENT 352282 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:11 PM

Happy Steak rocked!

COMMENT 352611P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 03:49 AM

OP, here. Happy Steak is my favorite of all of these matchbooks.

FANGIRL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 04:36 PM

I worked at Fred C. Dobbs in my early 20's. How fun to see the matchbook cover! Spent a lot of time at 1129 in the 70's.

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 04:47 PM

Oh no, I remember all those places. I knew I was old, but not that old! Thanks for the memory jogs.

COMMENT 353004 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 04:53 PM

nice collection, lisa. thanks for sharing! :)

COMMENT 353023 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 05:51 PM

I also worked at Fred C. Dobbs - the one in the Von's shopping center, back in the early 1970's. We wore "hogwashers" for our uniforms, which were blue denim overalls redesigned into overall dresses. They made a killer roast beef on sourdough and Dobb's was the very first place in town I remember offering Ranch dressing...very gourmet! I too have a collection of vintage local matches. I'll dig them out and post a photo of any I have that aren't included in this poster's really great collection.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 06:54 PM

Thanks for the memories of Hary's El Cielito. I remember eating there with my folks as a teenager. The new so-called "El Cielito" sure can't live up to it.

COMMENT 353098P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 09:00 PM

These are so fun! My mother waitressed at a lot of these restaurants, her first job being at The Presidio.

She was also the first waitress at Joe's Cafe. Back in the very beginning it was only waiters, but Harry Davis was a forward-thinking kinda guy. The men gave "Millie" a hard time at first, but they soon got over it, and everyone became good friends.

Wish I had that Hamm's Beer sign that was behind the bar at Joe's. A waterfall that fascinated me for hours. Age 6 and they let me sit at the bar. Times have changed.

COMMENT 353120P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 10:47 PM

Charming - don't recall where the locations of Second Story and Le Petit Cabaret were, but the names are familiar. Thank you for posting these. Where else but Edhat would have these shared memories revived?

COMMENT 353166 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 08:33 AM

aw rockys and the long bar.. great times...

COMMENT 353171 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 08:44 AM

Great post. i was a pearl diver (dishwasher) at John Dory's, now Brophys. We were all so proud when we had a $1,000 day. Probably what Brophy's drags down in an hour at the bar now. .

COMMENT 353175 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 08:47 AM

The Feed store #1

COMMENT 353202 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 09:31 AM

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

COMMENT 353203 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 09:32 AM

Kelly's Korner used to signify the End of Town for us, long ago.

As for carrying matches, I think most of us over the age of getting into trouble for playing with them had a pack somewhere in purse or pocket in those days before the instant throwaway lighter.

One might always need to light a candle rather than to curse the - - well, you know.

46% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.