Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 52.5°F | Humidity: 100% | Pressure: 29.87in (Steady) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15844 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Wedding Schtick
updated: Dec 09, 2012, 8:32 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Never seen that before... Driving along Cabrillo Blvd tonight, we saw balloons with some sort of flammable material inside, floating up from the Chase Palm Rec Center, from a gathering which appeared to be a wedding. The wind was taking them towards the West. Seriously? Sending burning material up in dozens of baloons into who knows where? Makes me wonder whether anyone at the party thought it was nuts to do?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 351896 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:54 AM

I say the same thing whenever I see a smoker flick their ashes out the car window.

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:00 AM

these are all the rage now as memorial "tributes" or to use at weddings. Sterno-fueled for limited flight, but still highly flammable until they burn out..

To my mind, they should be outlawed in the arid western U.S.

COMMENT 351921 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:01 AM

That's true, those can't be very safe... but they are romantic! Of course if you stop and think about the risk and the pollution, it could start to cause concern. Just remember that you happily pile your loved ones into a small metal box and hurdle them down the freeway without hesitation, so there's really no reason to start thinking too deeply about things now.

COMMENT 351941 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 11:17 AM

It is illegal and wrong to let balloons go on fire or not. How romantic is must be for a sea creature to die a slow death after eating your wedding trash errr balloon.

COMMENT 351976P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 02:40 PM

941: Thank you! Everyone needs to stop letting balloons go. Every holiday, I find big mylar ones at the beach and some smaller "special occasion" ones in the creeks.

921: a "hurdle" is a frame. "to hurtle" is to cause to move at great speed.

COMMENT 351986 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:02 PM

I clean trash from the beach daily and one of the most annoying things is balloon plastic string. It tangles in everything and takes time to collect. As long as the balloons are 100% biodegradable and we have had rain, what's the harm?

COMMENT 351989 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:08 PM

They look really cool

COMMENT 351991P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:18 PM

Then why are the balloons along the 101 right past the North Fairview exit allowed to keep continuing to pile up? I understand a young lady lost her life here but the trash is getting to be an eyesore. Would it be ok If the family was allowed to put a small plaque up instead? Please don't call me heartless because every time I drive by this memorial I think of the family and how tragic this death was.

COMMENT 351996 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:54 PM

These are illegal in some communities because of the fire danger. But they are made out of tissue paper. Imagine toilet paper when it hits the water.

I saw some being launched from West Beach on Fourth of July. We might see some more this evening during the boat parade.

COMMENT 352030 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:30 PM

Fourth of July is FIRE season!!! These are for the rainy season only, and then only when fire danger is extremely low.

COMMENT 352052P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:26 PM

030. Your point is? When was the Tea Fire? Um . . . Oh, yeah. November 13. According to you, four full months after fire season.

986. The harm is--- who buys biodegradable balloons? I assume you know that even biodegradable products often take a long, long, long time to break down. Plenty of time for some unsuspecting seal or dolphin or sea turtle to munch what it thinks is a jellyfish or other edible item.

How much rain have we had so far this year? How many months of the year do we even get any rain? I, too, am a beach litter picker-upper. Take a nice sharp Swiss Army knife with you on your beach walks. Makes it a lot easier to disentangle plastic rope, string, ribbon.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:26 AM

Never heard of bio-balloons, bet not many have. The regular old destructive ones are abundant, extremely harmful to enviorment, fish and animals. Can't even imagine anyone dumb enough to send fire into the air. Just what we need, another wildfire to wipe out a couple hundred homes.

COMMENT 352135P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:17 AM

These things typically end up in the ocean and are a hazard to birds, fish, etc.

COMMENT 352242 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:13 AM

I bet these were inspired by the floating candle lanterns in Disney's 2010 animated film "Tangled" (the Rapunzel story retold).

COMMENT 352339 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:40 PM

Google "sky lanterns" to see what these are. They are essentially paper lanterns, so the typical balloon that everyone pictures turtles eating isn't a problem. They do contain metal that can harm wildlife, but manufacturers now create biodegradable ones (rope instead of metal). Fire is an issue, which is why you aren't supposed to light them when it's windy. The ones lit on 4th of July stayed over the beach/ocean area. These lanterns have been in use for weddings for many years (before Tangled), and used in various festivals in Asia for far longer. I prefer the idea of sparklers for weddings. Safer, you have better control over the fire, and it still makes for great photos. I can see why people are concerned - too many idiots that don't think about stuff like that. There is no way to ensure your wedding has 0 wind, so planning for this at a wedding is just dumb. Pretty, but dumb.

COMMENT 352343P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:46 PM

I hate that people release balloons. A few months ago, at Goleta Beach, I saw a pelican trapped in what looked like kelp. As I walked closer, it became apparent that it was not only kelp. He also had a fishing line in his leg and was trailing party streamers, a plastic jug, and G'd help me, several Mylar balloons. I called Animal control and waited for about an hour. I couldn't stand to watch him struggle one more second so I went to him and cut the fishing line. His huge beak was clomping at me in the scariest way but cutting the line freed him except for the fishing hook. He ran to water, took off and, hopefully, caught something to eat. Animal control never came. I hope he doesn't get an infection and I'm not arrested for getting too close to a Pelican. Please stop releasing balloons!

COMMENT 352565 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:12 PM

These are "wish lanterns", not balloons, and supposedly they cannot descend until extinguished.

COMMENT 352680 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:09 AM

My question is, where did they get helium? It is in short supply and I had a hard time buying regular blowup balloons, because the stores aren't carrying them. Got some at the card place by Gelson's.

39% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.