Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 54.5°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 30.13in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15933 Subscribers
      652 Paid (4.1%)
     1 Commenters
     81044 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Ice Cream Lovers Unite
updated: Dec 08, 2012, 8:37 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Today was the grand opening of Rori's Organic Ice Cream in Montecito on Coast Village Road, next to Little Alex's in the Vons center. I had the chocolate coconut non-dairy, wow what a treat! Rori's is making the very best tasting ice cream locally in Carpinteria. I usually buy it at Whole Foods or Gelson's, but now it is close to home. Beautiful new store, the ice cream cone was wonderful! Knocks the cone off the competition. Great to see a nice new store, congratulation we love it! The new store was very busy, looks and tastes great. Ice cream lovers unite!

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:50 PM

Are the prices gonna knock my socks off too??!!

COMMENT 351834P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:21 PM

Hey, the prices can't be as bad as the highly overrated McConnell's.

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:23 PM

Bummer for "Here's The Scoop", a great ice cream store in Montecito on the same street!

COMMENT 351849 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 06:26 AM

Definitely not the best. McConnell's rules.

COMMENT 351857 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:22 AM

I agree that McConnels prices are ridiculous and for what? The DLV and Mission outlet is so over-priced it's not worth stopping. The pints in the stores seem average - no better than Haagen Dass or the others. They can't beat Ben & Jerry's for cool flavors... I want to support a local biz but gave up on McConnels.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:35 AM

I look forward to trying this store, thanks for the "heads up". I remember when 31 Flavors opened in Montecito, single cones were 17 cents (c. mid-60s). How much are they at this new place?

COMMENT 351860 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:38 AM

We stopped by yesterday for a quick cone. We'll be back to try some of the other treats, like the bars. Welcome to the neighborhood!

COMMENT 351870 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:03 AM

Went here yesterday. the prices are NOT that bad at all. It Blows McConnells out of the water! Love the look and the flavors. Such a cute idea to have little cones.

COMMENT 351876 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:13 AM

A pity they closed B R's. There we would all enjoy a fun family summer evening treat without having to mortgage the house. Put "organic" in front of anything guarantees instant mucho dinero. And the product is not necessarily better than any other in the same category.

I'll try it once. Always do.

GRANNYFRANNY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:20 AM

Little cones? Sounds like a winning idea: an ice cream store in Santa Cruz has those too, really nice for those who just want a little more than a tiny tasting spoonful.

COMMENT 351883 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:36 AM

@Natureboy - not so much of a bummer, Scoop has gelato and other stuff and they're hardly on the same street, except in name only. They're nearly a half mile away from each other!

I remember growing up in Montecito we had 31 Flavors and Hobsons, as well as a McConnells. Never hurt any of their businesses, we ate at all of them, as did everyone else.

Anyway, I had some of their ice cream and it was good. Hard to tell if it was McConnells' quality since I didn't order the same flavor I usually get there, but it definitely had the small batch, handmade taste to it.

COMMENT 351960 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 12:41 PM

For us older "real" ice cream fans, thank goodness for Rori's! Finally a treat that satisfies with full flavor and rich consistency due to butterfat.

McConnell's used to be like this many years ago but perhaps due to high ingredient costs they must be skimping somewhere; their recent offerings taste watery, bland and lacking in rich flavor - like low-fat ice milk.

If McConnell's could get their groove back I'd be a regular again. Now, it's definitely Rori's for me!

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:03 PM

Some of the comments sound like press releases for the place....

Last time I had a McConnell's cone, a couple months ago, it was so creamy it coated my teeth. Nothing watery about it. And the flavor was intense.

Seems like we have plenty of room in this time for several small batch ice cream companies. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

COMMENT 352002 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 05:34 PM

MTNDRIVER - What flavor did you have? If, as you described, I'd love to try it.

I'm suspecting, though, that you're a relative 'youngster' who may not know what "real" ice cream tasted like.

If you say you like Cold Stone Creamery I'll definitely know I'm right.

COMMENT 352024 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:11 PM

Back when I was in high school (1970's), there was a McConnel's in Belmont Shore (Long Beach). There was so much butterfat in that ice cream, it left a slick on the roof of my mouth. Kind of grossed me out. I had an SB McC's cone a couple of years ago. It was so big, it kind of grossed me out. I like a little moderation in my ice cream, and good honest real ingredients.

SB BRUCE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:52 PM

I can remember going into the Coast Village McConnells back about 1967-68, and Jim McCoy himself was scooping the ice cream behind the counter. Later, in the early 70's when I was in college, I worked for a couple of years for McConnells in the Fairview Shopping Center and I have fond memories of those days, and of the awesome quality that McCoy insisted on maintaining in his product, across the entire range of flavors.

COMMENT 352408 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:05 PM

351870 either is lying about eating here or has no clue what things cost in comparison.

We tried Rori's yesterday. The ice cream was excellent. They were literally begging you to try samples of all of their flavors, and they were giving away samples of their cookies and other treats.

That was the good. The rest was not so good.

I asked for a root beer float to go. Doesn't get much easier than that. First, they had to search around for a to go cup. The kid that worked there had no idea if they even did "to go" floats. Once they found a cup, they filled it with a bottle of good root beer, then plopped two incredibly small scoops of ice cream in. Cost of the float? $7.50!!!!! Add to that a to-go cup with two tiny scoops of ice cream and the total bill was almost $14.

Look. I don't care HOW good your ice cream is. If you are going to charge $3.50 for a couple of tablespoons, I ain't coming back. Either lower your prices or increase the size of the scoop.

COMMENT 352412 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:07 PM

I like how 408 accuses another commenter of lying and then has a complaint themselves.

How about we all just stick to our own experiences and not call each other liars. Novel idea, I realize. But why not just try?

COMMENT 352436 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:48 PM

Perhaps 352412 has a reading comprehension problem. 351870 claims the prices were not bad and 352408 clearly showed that 351870 was clueless.

COMMENT 352450 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 04:07 PM

Reading comprehension? That's rich when quoting a comment number that doesn't seem to exist. (But apparently not as rich as the ice cream, ha!)

I can't believe there's so much derision over.....FOOD. People on this site can be so precious over things. Rori's is a great place, the prices are in line with virtually any other gourmet food outlet in CA.

Let's stop the fighting and liar-calling and eat good food, I'm sure that's something we can agree on?

35% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.