Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 70.2°F | Humidity: 58% | Pressure: 29.99in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 4.5mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

All Gaucho Reunion April 24-27

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Dec 08, 2012, 6:00 PM

With seasonal rains promoting the growth of wild mushrooms Public Health warned consumers not to collect and eat wild mushrooms.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 351788 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:06 PM

Never understood why people would want to eat a fungus in the first place.

COMMENT 351801P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:03 PM

Because they "taste like chicken."

COMMENT 351853 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:14 AM

The chanterelles should be coming up any day now in my secret mushroom spot beneath my balcony.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:47 AM

Only a few years ago a man died here in S.B from mushrooms. He was an expert, and, I believe, even taught classes on which ones were safe to eat. In the 1930s my mother collected them in Montecito w/a friend. The one time Mom couldn't go, her friend harvested them, cooked for dinner and her husband died from them that night. Mom never went after them again.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:00 AM

Years ago a friend bought a huge see thru bag of mushrooms from Ohio over to our house when I lived back East We all got stoned fried them and ate them. As I was munching on the mushrooms I looked into the bag and observed dozens of worms...Never ate wild mushrooms again but I did finish my plate.

COMMENT 351886 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:41 AM

788, you said it. The pretty, cleaned up ones in the grocery store give me the creeps. I can't imagine hunting for mold and then eating it, let alone risking death, no matter how minimal the risk.

I think you're just a mushroom person or you're not. To me, they all smell vile (like...mold, imagine that!)

COMMENT 351940 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 11:15 AM

I saw a colony of Devil's Angels (like the name suggests) they appear harmless and similar to some edible mushrooms growing up out of the grass along the walkway to the Ventura County Superior Court. The can be fatal if consumed! The best advice is do not harvest wild mushrooms! The spores of all mushrooms can lay dormant in soil for many, many years only to sprout when the right combination of temperature and moisture is present.

COMMENT 352112 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:33 AM

My buddy the mushroom hunter says you only go hunting mushrooms that you know, and you should go with someone knowledgeable to show you which ones are good and which similar ones are bad. He himself hunts only two types and they are both only found under oak canopies so that limits the number of places to find them.

It seems to me like anything else- if you are uninformed they can be dangerous, but if you take the proper precautions it is fine.

Kind of like driving a car.

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.