Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 57.0°F | Humidity: 76% | Pressure: 30.12in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15898 Subscribers
      667 Paid (4.2%)
     84 Commenters
     60136 Page Views

Free Flu Shots
Free Flu Shots

The Winehound
The Winehound

Benefit for Sarah House
Benefit for Sarah House

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Elephant Bar Menu
updated: Dec 07, 2012, 3:04 PM

I'm going to the Elephant Bar in Goleta for dinner (not that I want to, but more or less obligated to). Any suggestions for an entree that isnt something out of the freezer? I havent had much luck previously.

Places People Are Talking About:

A Hendricks MartiniAsian Chicken Salad

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 351443 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:12 PM

Can't help you with entrees but, when I was a kid, the reason to go to the E-bar was the mud pie.

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:26 PM

Salad? That's all I can think of.

ROB EGENOLF agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:26 PM

A Hendricks Martini, very. dry on the stem, well stirred not shaken (sorry James Bond) with two olives on the side.

Add food only if absolutely necessary.

COMMENT 351452 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:34 PM

what about the lamb shank?
that's surely not frozen, is it?
...is it?
=O
it's my favorite dish on the menu with the mashed potatoes and semi-steamed (almost raw) veggies!
It's the only think I order

COMMENT 351458 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:41 PM

they used to have some lobster pasta dish that was pretty good.

COMMENT 351461 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:48 PM

Ummm....is there any way to get out of it? Frankly, it's one of the grossest places in town for "real" food. I got really sick eating some fish there once. I didn't learn my lesson, went back and got sick again on salad of all things (may have been the dressing.)

Proceed with caution, my friend. Extreme caution.

COMMENT 351469 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:55 PM

The hamburgers are actually very good. At Happy Hour one of the best deals in town. In my opinion the best burgers are homemade, not from a restaurant, but theirs are closest to that I've found.

COMMENT 351472P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 03:57 PM

I wonder if the person to whom you are obligated will like this post if they see it. And I wonder how the restaurant likes someone kvetching about the notion of having to dine there before they've even arrived.

COMMENT 351473 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:00 PM

Wow we must have exhausted all possible topics for a community forum. It feels like the last episode of Seinfeld. Between being brutalized by Dario Pini and Ethiopian food there's no subject remaining that I care to engage with.

COMMENT 351478 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:07 PM

I LOVE their lamb shank, but their going so Asian I'm not sure it's still on the menu.

COMMENT 351481 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:08 PM

That place has gone down!! Last time I was there, there was a piece of plastic in my hamburger!! The manager said they don't make their own hamburger patties there and the purveyor was to blame but still!!

COMMENT 351485P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:18 PM

I like everything I've ever ordered from the EB menu. I honestly don't understand their location and how it is there is always a wait for a table. I'm talking like twenty and thirty minutes. And, the place is absolutely packed- even the bar. I don't encounter this at smaller places downtown. Does anyone know?

COMMENT 351489P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:23 PM

I would seriously consider a liquid dinner.

COMMENT 351498P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:44 PM

Personally, I like the Elephant bar. They do a great seared Ahi in a number of different salads - yes the Ahi is fresh. Have also had some terrific Salmon that was fresh. Just ask the waitperson if whatever you think you want is fresh or frozen. They will tell you. They want you happy. The reason the place is packed and there is usually a line is because the food is good and reasonably priced and the staff is helpful and friendly. Makes for a pleasant experience.

COMMENT 351502 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:53 PM

good luck

KDEF agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 04:56 PM

The Elephant Bar is one of those restaurants where the wait staff sings happy birthday to birthday patrons along with a desert, Be forewarned.

COMMENT 351507 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:14 PM

sounds like the only thing out of the freezer tonight is you, stay home and save whoever is paying for your entree the money.We cant have two cold fishes at the same table.

COMMENT 351508 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:14 PM

469, really? With all the burger joints in town, you think they're second to homemade? I feel bad for you!

COMMENT 351509 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:16 PM

Good luck.... early to mid 1990's that was a favorite restaurant ofi mine. I have only been a couple of times recently and it's been pretty awful. And the menu so changed I don't feel like trying much else they have. RIP to a fun place.....

COMMENT 351515 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:27 PM

Approach with extreme care. I've found some odd things in my food when eating there. I don't go there any more.

COMMENT 351520 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:36 PM

Take a set of ear plugs with you.

COMMENT 351529P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 05:51 PM

Earplugs. Yes, you're right about that. We either sit very close to each other and talk in a raised voice or we just save our conversation for later. It's loud.

COMMENT 351531P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 06:00 PM

Thanks for your engagement 473! lol
OP, how about chips and salsa and a drink? I don't think a sandwich would be deadly either. I must agree that wiggling out of the dinner seems to be your best bet. Maybe get food poisoning before the dinner?
I haven't been there in almost two years. I indulged in shrimp 3 ways and it was pretty good. Never saw lamb shank on the menu, I would've gotten that. It's kind of like a Chili's or Applebee's, neither of which I've been to, isn't it?

COMMENT 351535 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 06:23 PM

Ask for server Matt. He is a great and honest guy, will NOT steer you wrong on your request. We are an older couple and he is really sincere. Rack of Ribs, Lamb Shank, any Ahi, you can't go wrong.

COMMENT 351539 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 06:44 PM

Have dinner at Noodle City, down the street, next to the Mercury bar. Then go to the Elephant Bar and just have a drink.

You won't regret it

COMMENT 351594P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-07 11:06 PM

473. We will miss your sparkling wit.

COMMENT 351625 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:24 AM

I had an excellent New York steak at the E-Bar.

COMMENT 351631 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:45 AM

E-bar is nasty nasty nasty!!

COMMENT 351634P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:52 AM

One of my favorite restaurants.

COMMENT 351637 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:53 AM

The water is the only thing good.

COMMENT 351639P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:59 AM

I was nearly hospitalized after my meal there!

COMMENT 351644 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:22 AM

Never had a problem there and have eaten there with my family from time to time for years. They make a number of Asian inspired dishes that are fairly decent. I like the ribs for an entre' and the wait staff, although largely younger college type folks, have always been courteous and reasonably efficient. The location was apparently an attempt to be near the airport and private airplane and jet terminal. That is the one drawback. At times when the wind is off the ocean the smell of J-P 5 is fairly strong and reminds me of when I was in the Marine corp at NAS Atsugi and the fighter jets would belch those strong fuel odors.

COMMENT 351650 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:31 AM

Disgusting

COMMENT 351664 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:53 AM

I occasionally had problems getting sick at various delicious restaurants in town. There was a problem with the salsa and discussions about it some time ago. I have learned to BYOS......Bring your own salsa. I have not had problems getting sick since from places where I had in the past. It doesn't answer each thing but is good to know.

COMMENT 351665 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:53 AM

Dessert only . . . mud pie, definitely. YUM.

COMMENT 351666 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:54 AM

So many bitter threds ,Really all of you got sick ,Maybe it was your own personal hygene or lack of and you should have washed your hands, Geez were you licking the bottoms of the tables, or picking at your parts?? I have been there many times over 25 yrs and i never got sick and i have a sensitive stomach that fails me offten,, always had great service .and if you sit inside you never have to deal with the airport noise or fumes,I have taken people there who have never been and everyone was very happy and quite surprised of the great experiance,There are a lot of people here that have a lot of issues,I bet the shrinks in this town make bank, just saying.Oh well only a few days left and it is all over anyway,

COMMENT 351670P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:03 AM

E-Bar is very scary now. I took a good friend there and it was day time. We saw the dirt everywhere and watched the Host wipe tables with a very dirty towel. We should have left then. I have had 2 stomach aches after eating there, saw all the filth & now I'm done.

COMMENT 351695 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:44 AM

666 There is nothing wrong with the E-bar and it is as clean as most restaurants. I get the feeling that many of these negative posts are from the same handful of gripers that for whatever reason had a bad experience of some kind. If there were any truth to the "epidemic" of sickness described by these gripers the Health Department would have cited them long ago and probably closed them down!

COMMENT 351719 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:47 AM

I went there once and enjoyed the appetizers. Had the ribs at another Elephant Bar and they were too sweet. This is not great healthy local food but it is possible to thoroughly enjoy your dinner- it is much better than Applebee's. You will not be poisoning yourself as others have implied. (My favorite Chinese restaurants probably haven't been cleaned in 20 years)

GRANNYFRANNY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:00 PM

E-Bar's happy hour food is a complete meal at a big discount, if you order a couple of choices; their drinks are only OK, but won't kill you. Get there before 6 PM, try the bar food, make up your mind -- you'll get an idea of what it's like at a bargain price.

COMMENT 351745 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:32 PM

ate at E-Bar last night with 3 friends noe of us got sick and we all liked our different meals. Lamb shank, chicken marcella,
salad with gorginzola friut and nuts. They all tasted freshly made good and hot!

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:25 PM

Get their sweet potato fries. The best!

COMMENT 351782 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:52 PM

There is good reason why most people don't like EB or have gotten sick. Their food sucks. If you like it, you have not had fine dining and or gourmet food, not your fault.

COMMENT 351814P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:08 PM

I used to eat there in the 90s but it has just gotten worse and worse. Once I had termite/wood droppings fall in my cocktail from the ceiling....

COMMENT 351819 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:23 PM

Last time I went to E Bar we sat done for maybe five minutes and there were mice running all around under people's tables. It was the sickest thing I've seen in a restaurant. I will never go there again!!!!!

COMMENT 351839P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 12:43 AM

745, it sounds like the late night "chicken marcella" and "gorginzola friut" might have scrambled your brain.

COMMENT 351889 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 08:46 AM

666, way to dismiss a lot of folks' pertinent experience as being weird or due to lack of personal hygiene on THEIR part (that's just a bizarre accusation.)

If anyone seems bitter, it's you. I actually welcome information from locals about where to eat and where they got sick. I personally have been ill from that place, but it's been a good 10 years since I've eaten there. I have heard many, many stories of other locals eating there and being ill or having things in their food that didn't belong there (the plastic in the burger happened to someone I know, too.)

It's pretty silly to dismiss all the accounts here as people in need of therapy. It's more like a huge warning flag. If you choose to ignore it, fair enough, but don't rag on us who were the victims of bad food, that's lame.

COMMENT 351926P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 10:27 AM

782 - Sounds like you is quite the connoisseur yourself! EB cuisine aint gourmet. It also aint fine dining. Yup.

COMMENT 351951 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 12:08 PM

Been there many times. Decent food at a decent price. Never gotten sick or seen any of the awful things people are saying.... wondering about the posts I am seeing here...disgruntled waiters perhaps? Best thing I have found there - the Pacific Cove Crab and Shrimp Louis Salad! By far the best seafood salad in town (with avo, mango and pineapple - absolutely delicious!!!)

COMMENT 351995 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 04:53 PM

951, I won't dismiss your positive post as a current staff member if you don't dismiss my negative one (got pretty sick after eating there) as a disgruntled former staff member ok?

Sometimes people who post things online really ARE customers.

COMMENT 352003 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 05:43 PM

None of these stories of people getting sick, finding things in their food, or seeing animals running about are true; they are just things people have heard and are repeating.

COMMENT 352029 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-09 07:28 PM

The mac and cheese is better than any momma I know ever made! Rich and thick, no resemblance to the boxed mixes. Technically I think it is an appetizer, however it is to die for.

COMMENT 352076 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:07 AM

I absolutely love the Asian Chicken Salad! Get it every time I go there. ( and have never gotten sick.)

COMMENT 352367 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:17 PM

I like their veggie burger. I used to get one of the pasta dishes (fettucini alfredo with chicken & mushrooms, I think, but I'd get it without the meat or mushrooms so it's pretty much just fettucini alfredo), and that was always good, too. I've never gotten sick there. Been eating there for 10+ years, since before I moved out here. Not frequently, but often enough where I think I'd have gotten sick or seen mice or the 'nasty' conditions at least one of the times I've gone. But never had any issues. Course, I really only go for the drinks and the dessert. For the OP, if it concerns you that much, I'd suggest eating a light bite before you go & mention that someone told you the desserts are just fantastic & you wanted to save some calories for that & your drink(s).

COMMENT 353632 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-13 10:55 AM

Looks like the same poster with some kind of bone to pick (no pun intended) is using the claims about the resteraunt to further their gripe and damage the restaurant. Over the years I have probably eaten there with others 50 times. You would think that I or the many who accompanied me would have either gotten sick, seen mice, termite droppings, plastic int their food or some of the other vile things described in these vindictive posts. Just the law of averages would point to at least one of these horrors occurring to me or the dozens of friends and family dining with me through the years ofpatronizing this restaurant. They don't pretend to be a "fine dining " restaurant. If you are looking for that experience go to the main dining room at the Biltmore, Molly's Tratoria or out to the Bacara.