Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 85.1°F | Humidity: 44% | Pressure: 29.86in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15405 Subscribers
      692 Paid (4.5%)
     164 Commenters
     102382 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Easy Come Easy Go?
updated: Dec 05, 2012, 8:20 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Fresh & Easy may be closing down.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:35 PM

BUMMER Don't close down I love your stores!

COMMENT 350733P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:47 PM

FTA: "I'm hoping somebody buys it, so we can stay employed," said Riverside location employee Charles Russell. "A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. ... A lot of people out there can't find jobs right now."

I heard a report on Marketplace (on NPR) that Walmart may buy them. Hope Charles like working for that outfit, low wages, no bennies, etc....

COMMENT 350735 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:53 PM

that was quick and easy!

COMMENT 350741P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 09:16 PM

They are for sale,". Not shutting down

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 09:56 PM

I love their BBQ sauce. I guess I better stock-up on that. And, the kettle corn is great too.

COMMENT 350756P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 06:11 AM

I like them too, good prices for ground beef and some other meats, great fresh bakery!

COMMENT 350759P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 06:49 AM

There's a story about it in today's LAT. The owner, mega-conglomerate Tesco, is looking to close out of the US market. Judging by the weak quality Milpas store that would be no loss. Anyone know when there will be a new market at the former Scolaris?

COMMENT 350771 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:24 AM

That was quick but NOT easy. We lost some great local stores to get crap food masquerading as 'healthy'. The consumers are not so easily hoodwinked.

COMMENT 350772 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:24 AM

The couple of times I have been to F&E, I haven't been too impressed - one night there was some pasta that the packaging had broken open, but someone (employee, I assume) had taped it up and put it back on the shelf! Then I looked thru my cart and realized the bag of cheese I had picked up was open too!

COMMENT 350778 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:38 AM

I love that store! Boo hoo! Fresh Market opening at old Scolari's late 2013.

COMMENT 350780 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:42 AM

i better get some porridge and brown hp sauce before they close.

COMMENT 350781 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:45 AM

Didn't F&E buy the old SB Motor Sports place in Goleta right off of Fairview & Callle Real? Wonder what is going to happen to this place?

COMMENT 350792 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:11 AM

Does this mean we get Whitefoot back?

COMMENT 350799 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:22 AM

733 - My understanding is that the parent company, Tesco, is the Walmart of the UK....

COMMENT 350802P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:34 AM

799, why does that not surprise me?

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:42 AM

@733: Actually, Tesco is more the Kroeger of the UK. Tesco and Sainsbury's are the two major UK supermarket chains, with Safeway a smaller player. Tesco (and Sainsbury's) offer good value and great items, but unlike Walmart, you don't really hear of unhappy employees or slave-like working conditions. Tesco and Sainsbury's are kind of like Ralphs and Albertsons--excellent markets, but pretty indistinguishable from one another.

Since Trsco is the parent compny of Fresh & Easy, I'd expected a lot more from it. When it finally opened on Milpas Street, I realized that Trader Joe's was in no danger of being run out of business.

COMMENT 350809 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:45 AM

I have to say, I went to fresh n easy and was bothered that its all self check out. There's only one employee there to help bag or if something goes wrong. That must be why their prices are so low, but is that a good thing? Think of all the businesses and jobs that use to be where that building is. We need jobs not cheap food at a price of job cuts. I find it rather ironic and awesome that their business failed. Less is not always more...

COMMENT 350816 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:56 AM

I love F&E and am so tired of SB whiners!! I have been to several other stores in other cities and this one is just fine. No it's not Lazy Acres - but it's good and I don't mind self check out. WOW bunch of cry babies!!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:02 AM

Self Check out rules in more ways than one.

COMMENT 350821 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:04 AM

I'm going to miss the frozen sliced bell peppers - better stock up!

COMMENT 350827 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:15 AM

I was fine with the self-checkout, and this single parent found their offerings to be spot-on for my needs. Trader Joe's is great, but the parking lot panhandlers and lack of community support were a turnoff. $10 off coupons, local staff, and great dinner packages made F&E my number one store. I'll be sad if they close.

COMMENT 350842 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:39 AM

SB whiners? If giving an opinion about computers taking over jobs is whining to you then no wonder our country is so messed up. People are so lost in their tunnel vision of what's good for them. What about what's good for the community as a whole? The big picture is being missed here.

COMMENT 350847 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:41 AM

Love Fresh and Easy,Simple, in and out, self check out a breeze,great parking,Nice mix of thier own brands and major brands as well. Ever since they opened I no longer go to Trader Joes. I hope they find a buyer ! Tesco is a very tough company, as owners go

COMMENT 350859 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:51 AM

Companies like Tesco and Fresh and Easy market foods that came from farms and land stolen from Palestinian families.

COMMENT 350866 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 10:09 AM

I hope they find a buyer! I absolutely love Fresh & Easy. Very Simple, Prices are just about the same as Trader Joe's. It's always bright and clean in there! And i love how ALL of their fridges are closed so it's not an ice box in there while you're shopping.

COMMENT 350875 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 10:26 AM

59 BS!

COMMENT 350902 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 11:34 AM

I miss whitefoot. There's no real butcher left in SB now...

COMMENT 350904P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 11:43 AM

We like F&E and hope they stay. The store is a positive addition to Milpas. Lots of unique items and frequent bargains if one shops carefully. Staff is helpful and it's always clean.

COMMENT 350913 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 11:59 AM

Came to say what 350771 said. What a waste!

COMMENT 350959 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 01:22 PM

I love F&E. Their pre-made low cost meals is how I survived college!

COMMENT 350960 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 01:23 PM

Tesco is disappointed with the overall sales figures for their US venture. They are a profitable and successful company so it only makes sense that they would sell off their US stores and cut their losses. The reality is, looking at their overall sales etc., they could close all their US stores outright too- it would only have a minimal impact on their bottom line. We'll soon see.

COMMENT 350990P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 02:38 PM

Sent a query to F&E and got this reply:

"Thank you for shopping at Fresh & Easy. We appreciate you reaching out to us. I am happy to hear that you love our stores. I do want to let you know that we are not looking to close. Although we are no longer affiliated with Tesco, we are going to continue our chain. Thank you for inquiring about this. Thank you for shopping at Fresh & Easy and we look forward to seeing you at a neighborhood market near you."

COMMENT 350993 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 02:41 PM

??? If they're not longer affiliated with Tesco, how are they still in business? They're a chain owned by a parent company that hasn't sold them off yet. That confuses me.

COMMENT 351021 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 03:19 PM

Their plan all along was to make a lot of stores, crash into the market and then sell. This is not a surprise, but the trouble was that they never made the money they thought they'd be making so nobody was interested in buying them out.

I'd hate to seem the close so quickly after opening, but that's business!

COMMENT 351054 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 04:38 PM

Story in the SB News Press said that they are going to build out the Goleta store.

Good luck to them - more competition the better.

COMMENT 351068 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 04:55 PM

I've never been in to the one on Milpas. It looks cheap through and through. I'm sick of big chains peddling crap, and I'd be happy if this one took a hike. I too miss Whitefoot. I'd like to see another tri-counties produce placed right there.

NEIGHBOR agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 11:15 PM

The F&E in Lompoc has been here for quite a while now. Self check was a drag @first, but I've come to appreciate it. Quick in & out. They have great staples in their In-House products & an array of standard product brands. They don't stock every product & every brand, but F&E has become a great store that I will miss if they go away.

32% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.