Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 53.6°F | Humidity: 90% | Pressure: 30.02in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15934 Subscribers
      650 Paid (4.1%)
     7 Commenters
     22504 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Bicycle Repair Shop
updated: Dec 05, 2012, 12:00 PM

Looking for a bicycle repair shop to tune up three long stored bikes... two mountain and one road. Somewhere in the SB area would be preferable. Also, probably looking to sell said bikes... any thoughts besides Craigslist?

Places People Are Talking About:

Bike MedicJones Precision WheelsOld Town Goleta

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 350530P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:01 PM

Hazard's on lower Anacapa. Owned by a really nice man named Bruce who does a lot for the community. Quality shop and quality work.

SOIREE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:05 PM

try fast trak on canon perdido between chapala and de la vina. dave and luke are great.

COMMENT 350536 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:06 PM

Hazard's... great people.

COMMENT 350538 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:09 PM

Add air to the tires and oil the chain. Not much more should have changed if they worked before.

COMMENT 350539 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:10 PM

Hazards or go see Ed at Open Air on State. He is great too.

COMMENT 350544 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:24 PM

There is only ONE bike store in town and it is Hazard's! Bruce, the owner, will get you going at a very reasonable price.

COMMENT 350547 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 12:29 PM

When bikes are stored of extended periods the cables corrode and can seize or at least become rough as can the housing. The plastic on the housing can become brittle and the rubber of the tires, tubes and brake pads can dry out becoming hard and cracked. So simply lubing the chain and airing the tires likely won't do it. But if you haven't already done so yourself, this is the first step I would take and take a good look at the rubber for cracking and test out the shifting and braking. If they're poor then head to a shop for parts or service.

That said, I don't think there is a lot of difference between any of the shops in this town. They're offer pretty average service, I've seen good and bad service our of each of them, so take your pick. Cranky's, Hazard's, FasTrak, Bob's... meh.

COMMENT 350563P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 01:35 PM

I'd love more input on this from active bicyclists please. I used to be an active cyclist, but my bikes haven't been used for some years, and have been stored outside. I'm gonna need a complete rebuild. Good bicycle mechanics at reasonable prices are what I'm seeking. (Open Air (20+ years ago) used to price their bikes low, but their parts and repairs high.) I don't want a new bike, just to get my old ones back in good shape.

COMMENT 350568 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 02:00 PM

First choice Cranky's on State Street. Second choice Hazard's. I won't set foot in any of the other shops.

COMMENT 350569 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 02:10 PM

Bicycle Bob's has reasonable parts prices and has quick turnaround.

You may also try the new kid in town, the bike department at REI, Inc. Being a cooperative (non-profit), REI members get a dividend check back amounting to approximately 10% of their purchases over the year.

COMMENT 350574 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 02:35 PM

Here's the deal. It depends on what you are looking for. Not immediately but afterward.

if you are looking to get back into cycling and you want your bike now to work well for more serious use, then I'd say (assuming we are talking road bikes) go to Fastrack. It's not even close.

All the racers go to Fastrack. Dave knows his stuff and will take care of you NOW but also in the future. I've gone in there and said hey Dave can you help me with X. He'll just look at it. Get some tool and bam! It's done. No charge.

Dave is about being super customer service as well having great bikes and gear. It's not a mistake that most of the people riding as exercise wear Fastrack jerseys.

Dave was Lance's mechanic and he was an Olympian himself. All to say that Dave knows his stuff, is a great guy and totally focused on customer service.

If you just want to have your bike work and that's it, go wherever. Bruce is a nice guy at Hazards. He's more of a triathlon shop. Road riding is Fastrack.

COMMENT 350576 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 02:38 PM

I should have read you post more. Forget what I wrote. Check out those classic and single speed shops on State. The one with the asian guy owner is into older bikes.

COMMENT 350584 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 02:51 PM

Stored inside or outside? Often times people really neglect their bikes, take them in after letting them "sit around" for a few years, and expect everything to just need a dab of grease and oil. Depending how long the bikes were used/ to what extent, they could require a plethora of parts/service to get them to what many cyclists would call good working order. It also helps to know if these were cheap or expensive bikes to begin with and whether or not said service is worth it.

I know you didn't really ask for that, but it's something to think about when you take them into a shop and ask for service. Similar thing happens when you take your car to the mechanic, generally get more suggestions than you originally bargained for.

COMMENT 350590P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:00 PM

The shops vary depending on who is the current mechanic. Bicycle Bob's on Hitchcock has a great mechanic these days in John Jones. They handle a wide range of bicycles, from children's to mountain bikes to road bikes.

Ed Brown is a fairly recent owner of Open Air, but I don't have any experience with taking a bike to him. He worked at ZeloPro for many years.

COMMENT 350594 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:08 PM

590 mentioned him as well, but John Jones is an excellent mechanic, and a very nice guy.

He also does work on the side via his own business, Jones Precision Wheel. You can find his website fairly easily.

COMMENT 350597 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:11 PM

Definitely see Ed at Open Air on State at Victoria. Great folks, do a lot for the community.

COMMENT 350610 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:46 PM

I wish someone had a service where they'd come by the house once a month or so and make sure all the bikes were in working order. I cycle only very occasionally and don't know squat about changing a tire, etc. I would love to be able to just walk into my garage and cycle away without having to figure out how to haul bikes to a shop....

COMMENT 350614 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:53 PM

610 - That has been done an failed. Not enough demand.

COMMENT 350615 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 03:58 PM

Bici centro, end of story. Don't waste money getting ripped off at a bike shop. They will teach you how to fix your bike as well, so you can DIY if that is your thing. it is donation based (aside froma nominal fee)and the money goes to help keep kids off the streets. I got my tire trued and a few other things for a whopping sixty cents, of course i tipped them for their time and the lesson.

COMMENT 350672 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 06:07 PM

You could always tune them up yourself at Bici Centro...

COMMENT 350699 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 07:13 PM

Stored outside for several years could mean a lot of things. Could be as drastic as toss them in the dumpster or recycle them if possible. Steel rusts, cables corrode, tires rot, aluminum oxidizes. It sounds to me like take them to almost any shop for a cost/benefit evaluation. If it takes several hundred $ to fix them it might be better to scrap them and buy new.

610 - I'd like to suggest for you and anyone else with lack of knowledge about the basics to go by one of the local shops and ask them to teach you. It's no fun (and can turn you off to riding) to be stuck somewhere far from home with no ability to fix a relatively simple issue. Knowing how to fix a flat, deal with a broken spoke, and those kinds of things can get you home safe and sound and keep you interested enough to go out again.

COMMENT 350702P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 07:19 PM

I'd check in with REI. I used to go the Wheelhouse for great service and have found REI capable, friendly and prompt.

COMMENT 350730 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:38 PM

You can give me a call. Bike Medic -mobile bicycle repair
I can pick up and deliver your bikes for free. I can give you and estimate for all three bikes. You can call me or text me at 805-448-5887 or email me at fixmybike805@gmail to make an appointment. This is a real small local business in Santa Barbara.

Marco - Bike Medic Thanks!

COMMENT 350732 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:42 PM

I also suggest Bici Centro. It reminds me of the UCSB bike shop which I also love but is limited to the UCSB community.

Also, I sure like Varsity Bikes in IV. The owner loves his work and he's done a few repairs for me over the years that I didn't feel comfortable doing myself.

If everyone would fish an old bike out of their garage and use it for short trips to the store and to their job, our town would go from great to unimaginably great. I love seeing my friends and neighbors out on bikes. People are their best selves when they are walking or on a bike.

Don Lubach

COMMENT 350773 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 07:26 AM

John Jones, Jones Precision Wheels. He used to be on the road with the pros, got tired of being away and now only occasionally takes a break to crew for a particular race at the request of an old friend. Very nice guy, a delight to talk with, loves working on wheels more than anything else, but happily does it all and does it well. Very low key, he is not likely to tell you about himself - but he can do anything and the pros trust his judgment and his work, so I know I can, too. He would be the first to say there are quite a few fine bike mechanics in our community - true enough and one more indication of the quality of the man.

COMMENT 350791 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:05 AM

I don't have much experience with other shops, but Velo pro at 633 State (at Ortega) has saved me money. They fixed my bike (I do ride alot), for under $25, when another shop said it was irreparible.

COMMENT 350858 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 09:51 AM

Negative on Bici Centro. Weird hours, and you'll end up getting your bike refixed at a bike shop (I did). Try Santa Barbara Bikes on Milpas - reasonable, and the guy is really good! I had a couple of problems with an older bike, and he fixed it fast, and inexpensively.

COMMENT 351173 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-06 08:35 PM

Old Town Goleta, really. Right across Hollister from the Habit and few steps west of Wendy's, in the curvey office building there is a shop that specializes in used bicycles, these guys are real wizards at putting together affordable mid range rides....hard to see the sign from the street.