Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.6°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 29.94in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15816 Subscribers
      684 Paid (4.3%)
     1 Commenters
     74 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

SB Lights At Night
updated: Dec 03, 2012, 8:31 AM

By Fritz Olenberger

Fritz Olenberger shares his photos of beautiful Santa Barbara decked out for the holidays.

Click here to view the photos!

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 349689P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 08:43 AM

ok first thing I thought: how do they get power to all those lit trees in the middle of the sidewalk? well, second maybe. first thought: pretty lights!

COMMENT 349693 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 08:52 AM

Absolutely stunning work! Great work, Fritz!
I love all the reflections from the rain.
Are these HDR?

I wish you'd post one so I could vote it picture of the day. Because of the linked photos, Edhat won't allow a vote.

COMMENT 349733 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 11:51 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

COMMENT 349811 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 02:44 PM

Wow! What a beautiful town we live in!

COMMENT 349852 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 04:09 PM

Very very nice...sending to my relatives back East!

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 06:02 PM

Agree with SB Wilson - stunning. I too wish I could vote for picture of the day.

COMMENT 349914 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 06:20 PM

SB Wilson.... yes, they look like HDR: good detail in the shadows and in the highlights, at night that's a very wide dynamic range.

COMMENT 349969 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 06:21 AM

Thank you from a Houstonian with the Air conditioning on 24/7 looking at the thermometer reading 85*! Made my heart a bit lighter!

COMMENT 349992 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 07:57 AM

The glistening wet pavement and the diffuse light due to the moisture in the air lend a festive, seasonal element. Thank you for sharing these wonderful images.

COMMENT 349999 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 08:15 AM

Agree with others...stunning and love the reflections. I noticed in your bio you mentioned a Leica. Do you use other cameras?

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 08:48 AM

Thanks for La Arcada, I was there yesterday (going to SB Arts, closed) and thought how even more beautiful it would be at night. It is worth a trip in to walk through. In "my day" there was a big tree in the middle of every block on State Street (4 lanes). Fuller than the one single tree now. Great picture of it, glad Edison caved in.

SBANDTO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 08:59 AM

Great photos - especially with the extra glisten from the rain. Thank you for sharing.

COMMENT 350019P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 09:00 AM

Beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to take the photos and to sharing them with us.

COMMENT 350022 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 09:05 AM

Magical! The rain added glisten and shine to the street shots, very pretty!

COMMENT 350028 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 09:13 AM

From my sister who was here for Thanksgiving;
Thank you so much for sending these incredible pictures. You were right...I love them!! The one that shows the stars along the street came very close to how beautiful the street looked when I was up there.

Your timing was perfect. A Big thank you

COMMENT 350042 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 09:30 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments on my photography. To answer a couple of questions above:
I did not use HDR (high dynamic range) processing. I shot in RAW format and used Lightroom 3 to lighten the shadows. I then increased the black point to give the images a little "punch." Lightening the shadows brought out some luminance noise, which I reduced in Lightroom. On a couple of the images, I applied negative clarity, which resulted in kind of a "dreamy" look.
Regarding the Leica, mine is an old M4 film camera, which I have not used for some time. These photos and most of the others on my site were taken with a Canon 5D MkII. I have also used a Hasselblad extensively, and most all of the travel photos on my site were taken with this, but it has been idle since I "went digital." I have also used an old Rolleiflex and an old Speed Graphic.

COMMENT 350062 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 10:35 AM

Fritz: Thanks so much for all of your great photos! You took a photo of my daughter and friends at the Holiday Parade which was posted by the Downtown Organization, and of course it is so much better than any of the snapshots we took. You were able to handle the tricky lighting conditions, and the photo you took of them is beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your talent and photos with all of us.

RAINE5360 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 03:29 PM

WOW thanks so much for sharing these. Magical!

33% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.