Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 74.3°F | Humidity: 71% | Pressure: 29.94in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15797 Subscribers
      686 Paid (4.3%)
     67 Commenters
     54802 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Health Insurance Agents
updated: Dec 01, 2012, 10:15 AM

I'm on Medicare but my wife's health insurance has now risen to more than $500/month, mostly for catastrophic care. So she's paying out over $6,000/year and almost nothing is covered.

Do EdHat readers have recommendations of independent health insurance agents in town who they trust to help her find more comprehensive coverage?

Places People Are Talking About:

Bob HopperBrown & Brown InsuranceDiana Lewallen Higgins
Roger PerryStevens and AssociatesWilliam Bailey

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 349176P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:25 AM

Brown & Brown Insurance is a well established Broker & has a local office. Call 805-690-2600 during the week and ask for the Benefits Department.

COMMENT 349177P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:27 AM

Your situation sound similar to ours a few years back. I used Gretchen Simpson at Kirkpatrick & Associates 966-7322. I had what the insurance companies considered a preexisting condition and she really worked hard to get me the best package she could.

COMMENT 349182P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:32 AM

I'm also looking for insurance.

Self employed. No pre-existing conditions.

Not sure where to start or how much will change once the new health care laws come into affect?

COMMENT 349183P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:32 AM

COMMENT 349185P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:35 AM

Oops, didn't mean to post that twice, sorry!

COMMENT 349191 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:46 AM

I use Diana Llewellyn. I may have misspelled that, but she's really helpful and engaged in your particular needs. I have medical and dental thru her, and have sent quite a few friends her way.

COMMENT 349203 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 10:58 AM

Insurance Guys. 805-681-3470. Always helpful, they know their stuff!!

COMMENT 349213 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 11:13 AM

Definitely Kirkpatrick & Associates. We have coverage with Anthem, Humana and Medicaire. My husband has recovered from a heart attack and triple by pass from 5 years ago and I have had hypertension for 20 years. In our late 70's, active and now healthy, both of us require daily pills and feel prepared for what may come.

COMMENT 349232 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 12:16 PM

William Bailey (805) 698-8820

COMMENT 349237 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 12:31 PM

Diana Lewallen Higgins (805) 966-4040. I needed private insurance and had a number of pre-existing conditions. Back in the days when they could turn you down, Diana worked really hard to find me good solid affordable coverage. AND followed up afterward to review my situation to make sure I had the best affordable coverage when laws changed or my health status changed. I cannot speak highly enough of her, have referred friends to her with great results, and would certainly contact her if I ever need insurance assistance. Diana is so personable and easy to work with, which is so refreshing and important when dealing with such a major decision.

COMMENT 349238 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 12:37 PM

I don't have a recommendation, but in the private health insurance business, I believe Blue Shield of CA is a non-profit as opposed to Blue Cross of CA / Anthem which is for-profit.

Perhaps that's worth considering?

COMMENT 349244 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 01:03 PM

KIRKPATRICK & ASSOC. 805-966-7322

COMMENT 349252 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 01:39 PM

Karen Davis has helped my entire family and many friends. She is an agent @ Stevens and Associates who specializes in Medicare Supplements and Major medical with many carriers. She can be reached at 805-455-4399. She is very knowledgeable and kind.

RLMCDON agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 02:38 PM

Rob Cavaness at SB Health Insurance Services. 805-568-0138, rob@sbhis.com, www.sbhis.com

Very helpful and friendly and took as much time as we needed to answer all our questions. We found a plan for our family that is a good mix of 100% covered care for a couple dr visits per year and less covered after that, with a not too ridiculous deductible. A good mix for a healthy family who rarely sees the dr. $250/month for a family of 3.

COMMENT 349368P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-01 09:02 PM

I second Diana Lewallen--when I could not get coverage, she took the time and effort to get me on assigned risk. It was quite a task and there was NO benefit to her. She's great!

COMMENT 349398 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 06:30 AM

A fourth for Diana Lewallen at State Street Insurance Solutions in Victoria Court. (966-4040) She worked with me to find the best affordable insurance for a self-employed person.

COMMENT 349400 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 06:35 AM

Steve Rehage of Rehage Associates is the best. Very knowledgeable, helpful and honest.

ELKAY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 07:04 AM

Bob Hopper Insurance Services in Santa Barbara. Excellent resource and personal assistance.

COMMENT 349408 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 07:34 AM

Rob at Cornerstone Insurance, 5901 Encina Road Goleta, CA 93117
(805) 683-5846
Got us a great deal on a policy for our adult children and helped us untangle the maze of insurance for our grandkids who were essentially unable to obtain new conventional insurance in California from the passage of the health care reform act until the beginning of the year when the mandate for kids to be allowed onto parents insurance came into effect.

COMMENT 349413 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 07:53 AM

Stevens and Associates gets my vote! They not only assess your finances, health history and Rx to get you into the best value plan, but they will help if you have questions down the road. They've been in business for 30 years so they know how insurance and local providers mesh.

COMMENT 349453 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 09:36 AM

Beware of Blue Cross, they just upped their premiums substantially and at the same time increased their CEO's compensation packages to the tune of over $40 million.

COMMENT 349469 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 10:34 AM

Dave Peters with Peters & Milam. Local and independent. Plus nice, helpful office

COMMENT 349471 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 10:36 AM

I can highly recommend Dan or Tom at Baxter Insurance.

COMMENT 349477 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 10:45 AM

Dani Chard at Stevens & Associates. 805-683-3636 or 805-680-2879.

COMMENT 349493P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 11:14 AM

Uninsured because it's totally unaffordable, even with a $10,000 deductible. Single payer can't come soon enough. Then all the insurance people will have to find real work. Downsize bureaucracies everywhere. Focus on fixing the problems, not creating more paperwork. [Not helpful, I know. But sometimes you just have to rant.]

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 12:48 PM

Yet another vote for Diana Lewallen Higgins at State Street Insurance Solutions in Victoria Court. (966-4040) and her employee Stephanie Ruby Reussner. Diana has worked with me for several years to find the best choices for me and my business employee, and when I needed a lot of help this year with a major surgery and subsequent claims Stephanie has been wonderful. As a business owner I pay my employee's premiums, I consider insurance a vital part of the compensation package that EVERY business ought to provide.

COMMENT 349516 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 12:52 PM

Another vote here for Stevens and Associates. Ray Stevens and his whole staff really know the ins and outs of various Medicare supplement options, prescription coverage etc. When my husband and I became eligible for Medicare, Ray was recommended to us by the agent who does the insurance for the company my husband works for. He said he feels Ray is really THE expert on Medicare supplements and such in this area. We have been very pleased with Stevens and Associates for three years now.

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 03:11 PM

Another vote for Single payer.

COMMENT 349618P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-02 08:59 PM

I used Bob Hopper several years ago and he was very helpful with our insurance. Unfortunately we had to stop paying because my husband lost his job and it got too expensive.

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 08:18 AM

We've had outstanding personal service from Roger Perry and highly recommend you to him:
2019 State Street Santa Barbara , CA 93105 (805)569-2191

COMMENT 349725 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-03 11:14 AM

The company I work for uses Roger Perry, and he's great. I don't have any personal non-employer-related experience, but can say he's a great guy and takes his time to explain stuff to you and makes sure you get the right coverage.