Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.5°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.90in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15654 Subscribers

The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Nov 08, 2012, 7:48 PM

Goleta's first ever roundabout has opened.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 340794P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:02 PM

Everyone vilifies roundabouts. Not me. I love 'em to death. Whatever helps keep the flow going and, as with the smaller ones, slows down the manic drivers is a-ok with me.

Plus, it's good practice if you decide to drive in Europe, Australia, New Zealand. (Even though some of them "drive the wrong way.")

COMMENT 340795 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:04 PM

But, it doesn't keep the flow going. At least not in SB where most people don't understand the basics of how to proceed through a roundabout. I go through two in town on a regular basis and most people get flustered, stop or incorrectly yield. Others jump in without yielding.

It's kind of a mess to be honest.

COMMENT 340800P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:15 PM

Strange how I have never had a problem, even when I am on my bicycle . . .

COMMENT 340802 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:17 PM

I go through it twice a day and the traffic always flows perfectly. They did a good job designing it, of course that said there a coupe of times when I have had to hit the breaks because of a stupid driver entering when they shouldn't have but that's not any different than not knowing who has the right away at a stop sign.

COMMENT 340809 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:58 PM

Only beef is the jerks racing to beat others before the lanes merge going into the roundabout on northbound Los Carneros. As someone said a few weeks ago, enjoy the flow now cause it will be nuts after they complete the planned devlopments along the Los Carneris corridor (Willows 2, etc).

A little off topic, but what's the status of the Islamic center to be built on the northeast corner of this roundabout?

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:04 PM

Everyone should drive in Europe or Latin America at least one in their life. It would all make sense.

COMMENT 340816P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:08 PM

Roundabouts are appreciated also because during quiet traffic times one doesn't have to stop needlessly. Easier on brakes and tires, perhaps, also?

COMMENT 340818P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:13 PM

They did a great job in designing and building this roundabout. Very few delays during construction and it works smoothly for the amount of traffic that it handles. But if they overbuild then it would become a mess.

COMMENT 340823P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 10:09 PM

I, too, am concerned about the new buildings going in nearby and the extra traffic it will bring. Then, let's talk about all of the rerouted traffic when Fairview is closed down. How long before it becomes a clogged mess of people driving around in a circle?

COMMENT 340850 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 06:42 AM

340823P - I don't care how big or small the "clogged mess of people" is that you speak of; they will be able to proceed through this roundabout 10 times faster than if there was a stop sign or traffic signal there.

COMMENT 340851P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 06:46 AM

The Los Carneros one is nice - and they've done a nice job landscaping it!

A few roundabouts are okay, but I just came back from the UK and if you want to see Roundabouts Gone Bad, go to Milton Keynes, where they have about 300, yes 300, in/around the town. The traffic moves fast and you don't have time to read the road signs - It's like being trapped on the tea cup ride at Disneyland. Also, a family member tells me, not so kind to tires.

COMMENT 340853 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 06:49 AM

Works like a champ! Nice work

COMMENT 340868 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:17 AM

@340795

Yes it does. Yes they do. No they don't. No they don't.

No it isn't, to be honest.

COMMENT 340876 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:27 AM

Unfortunately the traffic departments of the County and City became enthralled with the idea of "roundabouts" like they did with highly dangerous "bulb-outs". When attempts to be "innovative" overcome common sense these "traffic engineeers" often fail to read the technical literature which specifies WHERE roundabouts are efficient and why. They are primarily designed for intersections where there is a high speed through street and the intersecting streets have difficulty crossing or entering resulting in very dangerous "T-Bone" type accidents or for very complex multi-entry intersections. The most prominent study revealed that 4 way stop signs at regular urban and semi-rural intersections are at least as efficient and have a lower accident rate than inefficient roundabouts that have been intalled where they are inappropriate.

COMMENT 340878 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:31 AM

809:

Yeah I really noticed that as well.

COMMENT 340879 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:31 AM

I've had to slam on my brakes a few times because people have entered without looking. Not to mention the people who come to a complete stop when NO ONE is there. Maybe it will get better. Right now, I want to avoid it at all cost!

COMMENT 340885 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:46 AM

Too bad it it only has one lane

COMMENT 340889 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:51 AM

It only needs one lane.

COMMENT 340892 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:58 AM

Let's all drive over there and have a 200 lap round-about race

COMMENT 340921P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:08 AM

My gripe...so many bicycle riders and joggers aren't using the paths built for them. I had a guy behind me on a bike yelling at me to go the other day. This morning a girl was jogging on the road, against traffic and gave me a look because when I drove through I got close to her! It's so narrow, I had no choice!

COMMENT 340922 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:09 AM

ANNNNNND let the accidents begin!! Remember folks the rule is simple. "YIELD to oncoming traffic"

GOLETAPIO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:24 AM

It's important to note that cyclists can take the lane and have the same rights as vehicles when they are in the lane. The multi-use paths are really designed for pedestrians and inexperienced riders.

As far as the Islamic center (someone asked here), it's still working its way through the planning process. You can contact Scott Kolwitz at the City (961-7500 or skolwitz@cityofgoleta.org) if you have more specific questions or want to be added to the interested parties list.

GOLETAPIO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:26 AM

There were accidents at this location and that is one of the reasons why the City moved forward with this project - to improve public safety. Traffic data actually shows that the severity of accidents is reduced in roundabouts because the impacts tend to be at lower speeds and as side impacts rather than T-bones.

COMMENT 340979 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 10:41 AM

I've been using the roundabouts at Milpas/101, APS/Salinas, and Olive St for years. Once people get used to them, they work great. Much more efficient than before they were put in.

I've only driven through the new one in Goleta a few times but it too seems to work well. I did notice a few drivers hesitate, but they'll get used to it.

I second GOLETAPIO's note about cyclists. They have the right to share the circle too.

COMMENT 340992 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 11:08 AM

I only regularly use the circle at Coast village Rd, but it seems to work great. Took a few weeks/months at first, but most people seem to get it pretty easily now. Only occasionally do I sit behind someone who doesn't seem to know when they can go.

COMMENT 341009 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 11:45 AM

How do cyclists use the circle? I'm curious because it seems quite dangerous to enter the circle along side a car that may be turning left at any time to get out of it.

Maybe they should have a bike path that goes around it?

COMMENT 341044 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 01:03 PM

Bicyclists have every right to use the round-about. Because there is no designated "bike lane", a bicycle should take up a full car space. Cars should NOT attempt to pass a bicycle in the circle. Please give them room!

COMMENT 341093 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 03:01 PM

"turn left to get out" - is this a backward roundabout? I haven't seen this one yet but all the others I've used you turn right to enter and right again to leave...?

COMMENT 341094 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 03:01 PM

@340876: I would like to see your "study". Can you post a link? Under no circumstances are multi way stops more efficient than roundabouts. Less expensive, yes, but there is no comparison on the efficiency end. Do you remember Hot Springs before the roundabout (when it had a multi way stop)? What a mess. Now, it's easy.

COMMENT 341124 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 04:45 PM

oops, I meant turn right to get out - my bad.

Either way, it seems like a bad idea mixing bikes and cars in a roundabout. Not saying I won't give them room but I can't speak for everyone out there....

COMMENT 341161 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 08:05 PM

The national study was done just prior to the instalation of Milpas/101 roundabout and in fact it included the Santa Barara roundabout at the "5 points intersection" of Salinas/APS/Eucalytus Hill Road, a 5 way stop sign controlled intersection before the mini-roundabout was installed there. The accident rate went up (just as it has at the Milpas Roundabout installed later). In addition numerous road rage incidents still occur there as they do at the Milpas Roundabout. The report concluded that the accident rate went up at the Salinas/APS/Eucalyptus road roundabout because the 5 way stop sign controlled intersection was safer than the roundabout. The trade-off for some, is more accidents now but less damage (to autos) because of the forced speed reduction by the angle of the off-set required to enter the circle.

COMMENT 341185P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 11:30 PM

I find the Milpas roundabout scary, the one at Coast Village Road confusing, and the one at Los Carneros the simplest of them all. Maybe I just need practice.

COMMENT 341202P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-10 03:52 AM

185P. Yes. Practice is good.

Anything that will slow drivers down is great in my book. I suspect every driver who squawks about bulb-outs is someone who just can't seem to respect the speed limit, no matter what.

If drivers in SB weren't such speed demons, there would have been no need for bulb-outs. You pedal-to-the-metal drivers are lucky I'm not in charge: I would make the speed limit 25 mph and less, all over town.

SPARKEY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-10 09:42 AM

I love the roundabout. Great design and improvement over what was there. Milpas roundabout is awesome as well. Those who hate them haven't offered up any realistically viable alternatives.

COMMENT 341413P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-10 03:01 PM

only problem is when i come across a roundabout i just want keep going around and around, it's like a pavement carnival ride!

40% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.