Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 63.1°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.91in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  What's your news flash? Send it to ed@edhat.com login  twitter  facebook  RSS

15437 Subscribers
      698 Paid (4.5%)
     4 Commenters
     23642 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Oh, Honey Do!
updated: Nov 08, 2012, 7:29 PM

By SBBA

These girls are happy in their new hive box. Soon to be relocated into a new SB Backyard. Contact us at SBBA.org if you are interested in hosting a hive, or if you want to bee a beekeeper.

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 340799P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:14 PM

To be clear: this is a bird feeder and their new hive box is not this structure, correct?

You rock, SB Beekeepers! I wish I could have a hive in my yard. My silly neighbors would never get done blaming me for every bee sting and every swarm.

I had a woman tell me only two days ago that she had a wild hive in her yard; it eventually had to be relocated. She said she never had such an abundance of oranges on her tree, ever, as she had that year. I LOVE BEES.

COMMENT 340806 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:40 PM

I'd bee interested in hosting a hive. Please let me know what I need to do.

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:06 PM

Also have space and would take one. Please have edhat give you my email.

COMMENT 340820 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:55 PM

I've got a swarm of those pesky little fellas and wouldn't mind relocating them. What to do?

SBBEEBOY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 04:40 AM

Hey bumblebee,
Just call the bee rescue hotline @ 699-6229.
We will dispatch a tech to come check out your pesky little swarm and figure out how best to relocate.
799, you are correct. We use 5frame hive boxes for most rescues and relocations.

COMMENT 340870 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 07:19 AM

I would love to host a hive, but am not sure if I have enough space in my yard.

COMMENT 340895P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 08:10 AM

870: I also. Can anyone say how large a yard (in the city of Santa Barbara) one needs?

COMMENT 340935 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:33 AM

Last month I left two messages for the SB Beekepers, about a swarm that settled in my plum tree and I did not receive a call back. Four days later I phoned JP's bees who came out within an hour and relocated the swarm. It cost $75 but was worth it to me because I have pets I am concerned about.

COMMENT 340940 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:37 AM

I have a bee question. I live in a fairly rural location and my neighbors often let beekeepers keep their hives (white wooden boxes) in a nearby meadow. I am a "bee fan" and have never minded their presence.

Recently, though, a new batch of bees was brought in and they're behaving differently than any other bees that have resided nearby. These ones come and crawl all over my (tiny) lawn and congregate in my potted plants. It's almost like they're digging in the soil. Is this a different type of bee? Are they looking for something (water?)... Or, is this some kind of seasonal behavior that I've just not noticed before?

We have to wear shoes when we outside - they're all over the place! I'd ask the beekeepers, but they seem to come rarely - and then it's usually late at night.

SBBEEBOY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:40 AM

to answer 895's question, here is the City of SB's ordinance:

6.28.030 Number and Location of Hives. A. No more than four (4) hives shall be maintained on lots having less than 10,000 square feet in area. On lots larger than 10,000 square feet, no more than one (1) hive shall be maintained for each 5,000 square feet of additional lot area. B. Hives shall not be placed within twenty (20) lineal feet of any public street, sidewalk, or other public thoroughfare. (Ord. 4621, 1990; Ord. 4460, 1987; Ord. 4346, 1985; Ord. 3769, 1975; Ord. 3642, 1974.)

It is strongly recommended that you speak with your surrounding neighbors to let them know about your desire to keep bees on your property beforehand. Offer to share some honey with them, and 99% of the time, they will be thrilled about it.
County regulations differ from the city and are a bit more restrictive, but again, it is usually just a matter of discussing with your neighbors first.
Bee well & bee happy!
SBBA.ORG

SBBEEBOY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 09:58 AM

935, sorry about that! I have to take personal responsibility for not responding to your plum tree bees. SBBA is just one year in the making, and are going through some growing pains due to the overwhelming response from the community, and the quantities of requests that we have been receiving for rescues. A few have fallen through the cracks :-(
We now have a volunteer that is taking all of the calls and routing them to our 7 rescue tech volunteers (myself included). All of us volunteers do our best, and do so without any compensation, and in our "spare time".
On the positive side, we have performed, at last months count, over 250 rescues and relocation's this year.
Comment 940, can you post a picture of the bees you are talking about? It sounds possibly like yellow jackets to me if they are hanging out around the soil. This is yellow jacket season, but with this cooldown, they should be leaving.

COMMENT 340967 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 10:29 AM

940 here - BeeBoy: I'll email pics to you. Thanks.

COMMENT 341203P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-10 04:04 AM

Yellow jackets, youch! I had to make my subterranean nest of yellow jackets relocate. Every time I came down my steps to my driveway, one of the "bouncer/guardian" jackets would nail me (painfully) on my thigh!

I went down late one night, rugged up in hooded rain slicker with gloves taped to my sleeves and a mask over my face (what a sight), and used a garden hose to pour water into their hole. I "watered" them once more, the next night.

They hung around for a couple more months and then left and never came back. I guess they didn't like their "swamp" property after all.

COMMENT 341204P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-10 04:08 AM

SBBEEBOY: Don't forget to sing the praises of bee pollination to anyone who has fruit trees or berries or a veggie garden. Bees make fruiting plants sing!

57% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.