Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 53.2°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 30.05in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15899 Subscribers

Free Flu Shots

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Nov 07, 2012, 7:56 PM

The one of a kind "YES" store is set to open Friday at 930 State Street near Carrillo.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 340405P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 08:23 PM

Ah, the "Yes" Store! What a great resource for finely made local crafts.

I remember when it first came into being. Higbee, Grant, Bucher, Muller, Paddock, Stolley, Babcock, The Candle Brothers, Vanderlei (sp?) . . .I have forgot so many of the brilliant artists' names! Glassblowers,metal sculptors, leatherworkers, potters, seamstresses, jewelers. Ah, yes. Neely's jewelry. Was he there in the beginning?

Why doesn't someone write up a history of the "Yes" Store? I would love to see some old photos.

COMMENT 340409P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 08:28 PM

Also featuring local craftspeople is A Crimson Holiday, located this year in La Cumbre Plaza, near Sears. (I have no affiliation, just an appreciation for local artists.) http://www.acrimsonholiday.com/

COMMENT 340430P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:09 PM

I love the Yes Store. When I was younger I'd save money all year long so I could afford some of the one of a kind items they carried. I missed several years when the location was in a bad place for parking and being harassed. No matter if it was day or night. I hope this year it will be in a better place.

COMMENT 340449 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:03 AM

Many of the artist and craftspeople in both the Yes Store and A Crimson Holiday also sell at the Santa Barbara Arts and Crafts Show, held every Sunday all year on Cabrillo Blvd. If you buy at the Beach Show the artist saves the high fees charged per sale to participate in these holiday stores.

COMMENT 340453P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:16 AM

449 - Is right on.

COMMENT 340473 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:53 AM

How interesting that SB locals wouldn't be caught dead walking (much less purchasing) along Cabrillo on a Sunday, and yet once a year they flock to "Yes" and "A Crimson Holiday" to support those same local artists! (Maybe folks would like the Chromatic Gate better if it was only displayed once a year, somewhere other than Cabrillo Blvd!)

COMMENT 340494 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:53 AM

Just a note that only 12 of the 34 artists showing their work at A Crimson Holiday are members of the Santa Barbara Arts and Crafts Show on Sundays on Cabrillo Boulevard. The rest are members of our wonderful artisan community, and would love to meet you at the Grand Opening and Holiday Party on November 16th from 5-8 PM.

COMMENT 340540 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:40 AM

Well, I've only lived here for a decade (not SB local, I suppose, since I wasn't born & raised here, but local enough), but I go occasionally to the Art & Craft walk, but have never been to either of the stores mentioned (never heard of the crimson one). And I just wanted to say thanks for the reminder to check out the craft walk for Xmas presents - I love getting stuff from there, and the sooner I start shopping, the sooner I'll be done!

COMMENT 340568 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 10:38 AM

For those of us who are directionally challenged...the Yes Store is right by the Apple store on state...that's how I found it. And there aren't "high fees" to participate in the store...it's a bunch of local artists who band together, support each other (they even act as salespeople for each other's booths, etc.) and do it as cheaply as possible. All the artists I know have day jobs! So let's support them as much as we can. They make beautiful things.

COMMENT 340716 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 04:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to going to the Yes store, and a new one for me, the Crimson Store.

COMMENT 340774 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:12 PM

Just to clarify, each artist who participates in either of these excellent stores pays either a large upfront fee, or a percentage of each sale to the store itself. These fees can be substantial, but do cover the operational costs of the store. I patronize both stores, but buy directly from the artist that show on Sundays first.

36% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.