Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.5°F | Humidity: 100% | Pressure: 29.82in (Rising) | Conditions: Heavy Rain | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15843 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Mesa Boom
updated: Nov 07, 2012, 2:00 PM

By John Wiley

As we were flying West offshore toward the airport to land, looking back at downtown I wondered about this boom on the Mesa. Looks like the row of two-story housing at the base of the hill is related to the units going in at the top of the hill. But there's also something new at the right-center edge and the left-bottom. For context, that's the Arlington a little to the left of downtown State Street at the top. Anyone know more about this boom on the Mesa?

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 340278 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 02:15 PM

It's called The Lighthouse development. $$$$$$ McMansions crammed together w\ nice views.

COMMENT 340283 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 02:32 PM

No, those are the Estates at Vista del Oceano. They have nothing in common with nor are they anywhere near the Lighthouse Development.

COMMENT 340292 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:02 PM

As always on Edhat your mileage will vary, as seen from the previous 2 posts.

COMMENT 340296 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:15 PM

Great news!!! There seems to be lots more open space to fill up with much needed housing!!! I hope they don't waste any space and are able really fill it in more homes. There are hundreds of thousands of people that would like to live in Santa Barbara so we need to build much much more.

JOHN WILEY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:28 PM

Looking at it on gMaps I'm wondering if it's two different developments, one up on L.V.Del Oceano and the other below at the end of Santa Fe Pl. Maybe some of the construction nearby is related too?

COMMENT 340302 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:33 PM

Sigh... I remember those hills with absolutely no buildings on them. My brothers and I used to get cardboard and slide down on the tall grasses that grew there. Damn, I feel old ;-)

COMMENT 340303 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:33 PM

I happened to be driving on Santa Fe Place a couple weeks ago, the condos are right above it - looks like townhouse style duplexes (2 to a building), can't remember the exact number listed on the signs, but it was over a million! The housing up above looked separate to me...

COMMENT 340308 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:57 PM

296 - How about someone builds another Santa Barbara somewhere else for those hundreds of thousands of people to live. Our community can barely handle the current population.

COMMENT 340312 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:05 PM

The same developer (Spectra America) is building the Estates at Vista del Oceano and the Mira Las Olas Townhomes. There will be 6 large estates on La Vista del Oceano and 14 townhouses on a road that intersects Santa Fe.

Google "vistasantabarbara" and "miralasolas" to see the websites for the two projects.

7 of the 14 townhomes were sold for under $300K each in a lottery for low-to-middle incomers in June.

COMMENT 340332P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:53 PM

Am I really so out of the loop? I never heard a peep about all this new housing. Is this what having enough money to pay off all the right City building commissions gets you----complete and utter "under the radar" developments?

EMUWREN1 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:55 PM

@308. In absolute agreement with you. Wish it could be done. In another galaxy, maybe. Too darn many people everywhere now.

COMMENT 340341 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:11 PM

If you're concerned about growth... stop having kids. We're at 7 billion and counting.

COMMENT 340344P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:19 PM

I wish they were better looking. The downhill neighbors must feel like serfs living below manor houses.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:23 PM

God, I hope you'r e being sarcastic, 296

COMMENT 340354 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:44 PM

My parents moved to Goleta in 1972, into a new apartment built on Dearborn. They later moved to an existing home off N Kellogg, and later into a new-build home north of Winchester. As an adult I moved from that home to an apartment again on Dearborn, then into an existing build on Gato then into an apartment in a house (existing build) behind Von's off Fairview. In 1999 I purchased an existing build house near Bishop high school.

Parents were two transplants and they "made" 2 more citizens, my sibling and I both still live here. Parents are both dead now. I have a spouse who is a transplant, my sibling's spouse is local but their child is new. We are all locally employed and schooled. Why do we need so much more new housing? Can't these people move to Chapala 1 if they want a $million townhouse?

COMMENT 340381 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:51 PM

0354.... why would anyone choose to live in a downtown condo next to the freeway when they can be up on a hill with ocean views? Seriously, just because you chose to do things a certain way doesn't make it a blue print for the rest of humanity. Individuality means different strokes for different folks and if it's not illegal who are we to restrict the freedoms of others?

COMMENT 340384P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 07:03 PM

332P I' d guess you (and most of us) are out of the loop. To know what is going on, one has to be proactive. There are no media that cover the agendas of the design review committees on a regular basis. It is a shame! And there is NO indication that I have seen or heard of that City commissions are being paid off - and I do follow somewhat the commissions. Sometimes, though, it takes years to proceed from commission approval to actual building.

COMMENT 340411P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 08:32 PM

Where were the "proactive" Santa Barbarans on this one? I would have liked to have had some input, if only to join others in making certain all the proper drainage and proper landscaping requirements were met.

How many trees were removed? What species of birds and other wildlife were displaced? Any native plants mowed down? How much grading was done?

Really feel cheated that there was no press on this-----or did I miss it completely?

COMMENT 340422P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 09:30 PM

What "proactive" Santa Barbarans do you mean? Generally, it's the neighbors who complain. I'd guess your questions were addressed in various public hearings; check out the past agendas online; write to the Community Development department and ask. If noone complained, there probably was no press coverage. That's one of the problems with having only one weak daily newspaper in this area.

CHERIDIANE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:10 PM

Thanks, John Wiley. I had no idea so much building was going on in that location. I could see a little from roads below but not much.

COMMENT 340456 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:23 AM

To all of those who complain about development - how many of you can claim to be native born and "entitled" to live here? At some time in your lives, either you, your parents or grandparents were "new" to the area and needed housing. I know "developer" has been a dirty word around here for years but they are the people who take the risk to find the property that someone or family is willing to sell, then they have to get permits through a very expensive, long and arduous process and finally get the financing to be able to sell a house to you. Today land is so expensive, builders can't really afford to build inexpensive housing. So please take this into consideration before slamming every one in the real estate profession. By the way, I was not born here but have lived here since 1960, I went to UCSB and settled here to work and raise a family.

COMMENT 340458 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:24 AM

@411: yes, you did miss it completely. I remember some of the hearings, the folks living below at Santa Fe Place were very put out about the whole thing, and nervous about land slides eventually happening. Lots of hearings, maybe 3-4 years ago? I believe it all happened open and above board, no conspiracy here.

COMMENT 340484 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:27 AM

The need is said to be for low income housing to employ all those who work for minimum wages in the various commercial developments also approved by City and County government who are both just looking for more and more tax revenue. The City of Santa Barbara was found by the SBCAG jobs/housing study to be the one area where the jobs to housing deficit is most pronounced. Then there is the housing needs for those homeless or semi-homeless who are embraced by the City government of Santa Barbara for reasons that defy any logic. Doubtful that these pictured developments are intended to provide housing to any of these medium, low or no income residents.

COMMENT 340493 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:52 AM

@341, my sentiments exactly.

COMMENT 340504 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:04 AM

Yes, I WAS born here, as were my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, brother, sister, daughter & grandson. None of us have been able to continue to live here because of the insane housing market. My parents were the last to have to leave. It was a wonderful place to grow up and now it's been crapped up, overdeveloped, LA'd & getto'd.

"You've paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

COMMENT 340522P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:24 AM

Anyone who thinks this place is crappy needs to get out more. Take a look out there, and you'll be happier here in this crappy place. We are very well protected compared to other places in California which are unable or unwilling to stand up to massive development pressures. And once you get out of California, egad it's bad out there among the English.

I don't by any means think our regulatory process is clear, fair or uniformly successful, mostly because it so obviously favors big-money developers who can afford all the government tithing required, while it rules out the smaller more idiosyncratic efforts that give a community local color and interest while making much smaller visual and environmental impacts. However I am glad that some of the more rapacious developers are discouraged from trying around here.

COMMENT 340529 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:33 AM

If you had this land, you'd be stupid not to build now. Think it will be easier or harder to develop in 10 years? 20 years? I'm sure every land owner is asking them self the same question.

COMMENT 340548 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 09:50 AM

Everyone I know feels like their hometown is overdeveloped compared to when they were a kid, not just people in SB. And I think this "I am local so I am entitled to live here but you're not supposed to live here since you are not local" is really absurd.

RHS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 10:43 AM

PLEASE no more whining about "I was born here" or "My family is X generation" or any other claim to inherited right to stay in the area. We live in a democracy of sorts which eliminated inherited title and rights. There are simply too many people in the world. Naturally folks will try to live in the most pleasant places but they can't all do so. Those who complain that California is driving business and rich people out should be happy. The more that leave the better we are.

COMMENT 340649 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 01:36 PM

OK then to all of you arguing in Favor of more development, I'll tear down my single-family residence house on my barely 1/4 acre of land in the City and I'll build a small apartment building, I think we could get 4 units in easily. Cool? You approve?

Oh wait, no you don't approve. There something in my neighborhood called ZONING so that means there's a law saying I can't house more of you SB-housing-demanders. Guess who came up with that law? People Who Live Here in SB.

Bummer for you. I hear Ventura and Buellton are very nice.

37% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.