Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.4°F | Humidity: 85% | Pressure: 29.91in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15504 Subscribers
      697 Paid (4.5%)
     163 Commenters
     98977 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

$2.00 News Press
updated: Nov 07, 2012, 9:29 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

A subscriber is wondering if it's really $2.00 for the News Press?

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 340108 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 09:50 AM

it certainly appears to be the case based on your photo.

COMMENT 340112P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 09:52 AM

I got one at a news stand this morning for $.75. Did not notice the price on paper but will look when I get home.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:00 AM

I also paid .75 cents for one near the habit.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:03 AM

Mine says 2.00 Dollars on it too..To bad if it's a collectors item I was sitting on it as I just got out of the shower to report the Stand Off and it's alittle ruined now.

COMMENT 340128 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:06 AM

Costs a lot less than that for a roll of toilet paper.

At least the Newspress has one valid function...I look at their endorsements and vote the exact opposite.

COMMENT 340129P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:06 AM

$2.00 is the price on Sunday. Must be a misprint. But of course what else is new, that is SOP over there. Unless they really did raise the 'after losing the election price'?

COMMENT 340130 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:08 AM

Sounds like they put the $2 on the paper to make subscribers feel like they are getting a big discount.

DOGMOM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:15 AM

Today's is printed $2.00 but yesterdays says $ .75. Today's paper was also delivered very late, just now in fact. I assume they were waiting for an official result before rolling them off the printers.

COMMENT 340138 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:18 AM

Maybe they thought they could charge more for the post-election copy? IIRC, didn't a lot of papers print up a bunch of glossy stuff and charge more for it as a "commemorative issue" in 2008?

COMMENT 340145 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:29 AM

There is a correction statement on the News Press website. its $0.75 for today's issue. I just wonder how they got that messed up. It's not like yesterday was Sunday.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:37 AM

This isn't Sunday?

COMMENT 340168 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:58 AM

The News-Press is SLOPPY---sloppy proofreading, sloppy production. The photos are out-of-register (blurry) and often have overprinted blotches.

The captions are awkward. A recent caption identified, "President Mr. Obama and Governor Mr. Romney."

COMMENT 340174P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:05 AM

168, while I generally disagree with you (I think the news-press does a decent job most of the time and the photos are pretty good) I did have a great laugh (and kept a screen shot) when they reported a story on "Muslin Rage" recently :-)

My guess is they use a template of sorts and since the election day paper is a huge one they used the Sunday paper template and forgot to change the price.

COMMENT 340197 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:27 AM

Well worth every penny.

Anyone who is buying the paper at the newsstand is paying too much anyway.

COMMENT 340199P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:28 AM

I no longer subscribe but I read the front page online. Got a chuckle out of Scott Steepleton's editorial on Hannah Beth Jackson.

COMMENT 340205P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:33 AM

They couldn't PAY ME $2 a day to read it...

COMMENT 340215 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 11:47 AM

They won't be around much longer if they keep this kind of stuff up.

I agree with 168, the paper itself is horribly edited and while some of the writers might be pretty good, the grammar and proofing is pure amateur hour. It's sad we don't have a better large daily paper in SB. This kind of thing is provincial and we've outgrown it in our town.

COMMENT 340233 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 12:21 PM

Oh, I'd totally read it if they paid me $2 a day. Not thoroughly, but I'd skim. I think it'd be worth the laugh.

DOGMOM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 12:37 PM

My favorite thing about the Newspress is that it comes in those nifty plastic bags that are perfect for picking up dog poop on our daily walks.

COMMENT 340255 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 01:09 PM

SBNP and KEYT....2 major reasons I read and watch elsewhere.....horrid examples of even basic literacy. But hey, if you don't like it, don't look at it.

COMMENT 340263P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 01:34 PM

Is there any use? It has gotten so small that there is hardly enough to line my daughter's bird cages. And what is up with them printing the comics in color a few days a week? Talk about excessive. And, their shoddy coverage on the items they decide to cover, not what is really happening.

COMMENT 340264P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 01:34 PM

Poor News-Press. Seems people can't get enough of "ragging" on it.

COMMENT 340288 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 02:50 PM

People are brainwashed that they need a daily newspaper. Not anymore. There is not one thing in that paper that cannot be found easily and for free online. Not one. I might be willing to get the Sunday paper between now and Christmas for the ads, but that is it.

COMMENT 340323 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:40 PM

I enjoy it!

COMMENT 340334P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:58 PM

You can get all the comics online now, too? And the Sunday paper coupons? And the photos of local schmooze-fest type events?

GREG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:16 PM

Am wondering if some of the News Press writing and captions are written offshore. Has journalism gotten to the point yet that some headlines and articles might be written in India?

COMMENT 340348 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:24 PM

How can I opt out of their weekly rag on my driveway?

COMMENT 340377 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:44 PM

I thought special issues were more expensive but maybe I'm just imagining things.

COMMENT 340380P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:51 PM

168: if anyone wants to see badly exposed photos, sometimes out of focus and so dark as to rival the worst store cam pix, check those from last night at El Paseo in the Santa Barbara View! Proof reading of news writers and online commentators, too, seems to be a lost art.

As for the value of a daily newspaper, I think it is great. Online one tends to read the news that is limited and often shallow. With a newspaper with a good news staff or news service, one can have investigative reporting and in depth coverage. We need both.u

COMMENT 340390P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 07:35 PM

Isn't there some wealthy progressive who will buy this rag from Wendy? Brad? Sperlings? Anyone? anyone? What an embarrassment to the County when visitors arrive and read that biased schlock.

COMMENT 340423P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 09:34 PM

390P Is the paper for sale?

COMMENT 340444 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 06:45 AM

The News-Less photos are great because they have no other original content to fill up the pages.

COMMENT 340465P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:44 AM

I subscribe to the online version only but consider it a necessary evil. I often wonder how much their editorial political slant plays on their news coverage because the ownership has blantly invaded that space. I wish I didn;t need it but the Daily Sound went under, the Independent is weekly and misses some of the coverage of the news press, where else is there?

COMMENT 340471 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:52 AM

348-Call the news press circulation dept and tell them to stop littering your property. It worked for me.
Remember when it was an afternoon paper? Delivered by kids learning to make a buck? Now we get loud nasty cars waking folks up at 3 AM, and tossing the bag 'dispenser' out the window into the streets. I miss the paper but have not and will not buy it under current ownership.

UPONTHEHILL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 08:18 AM

Haven't read the News Press in years. I miss daily printed news, but will wait a viable option. I am thankful for Edhat.

COMMENT 340560P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 10:15 AM

Signed a pledge not to buy it three years ago and DON"T MISS IT AT ALL! Wendy McCaw should sell it to someone who really cares about this community!!!! The Independent, Noozhawk, and Edhat suit me just fine!

COMMENT 340714 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 04:16 PM

I read the SBNP everyday. While not perfect, it provides both local and national news, and does do some investigative reporting - look at the in-depth story about Officer Beutel.

COMMENT 341102 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 03:24 PM

This past Sunday's paper had Saturday's TV guide in it.
Need I say more???? Too bad the L.A. Times doesn't have a S.B. section. Maybe someone NEW will buy the Newsless Press.

COMMENT 341183P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-09 10:21 PM

I find it sad the degree to which the SB News Press has declined in recent years. Being from the East Coast originally, we used to get our news from the N.Y. Times, or the Herald Tribune, both of which used to be excellent sources for the daily news.

Moving to SB in the mid 60's of course we found the News Press a substantially lesser paper, but where it counted, for national and international news, it was almost as good as the N.Y. papers 40 years ago. Their Editorial page in those days was excellent also, featuring the top syndicated columnists of the day including Drew Pearson and Tom Wicker.

News coverage has declined in general in American newspapers, not just the News Press, but I understand people's frustration with our local journal's limitations in 2012.

54% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.