Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 72.3°F | Humidity: 37% | Pressure: 29.97in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Santa Barbara Volcano
updated: Nov 06, 2012, 4:58 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

While I regret not having taken a picture of it, this past Sunday, November 4, I was driving down to Ventura and noticed smoke (or dusty steam) coming out of the hillside across Rincon Beach. My friend and I wondered at first if it was a fire, but no flames were visible... just smoke, or rather like dusty steam literally shooting up straight out of the ground.

We found this link.

And now we're wondering if anyone may have seen this on Sunday afternoon as well, and/or know what exactly it was? Is this story that the Independent wrote very similar to what we witnessed on Sunday? Is there a dormant volcano there?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 339994 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 08:30 PM

My family lived in Ventura when I was born. My older brother heard the volcano talk & had hide in the back seat whenever they drove to Santa Barbara. Or so I was told.

COMMENT 340025 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:33 AM

No volcanos around hear save the ancient subsea ones in the Franciscan formation; can be easily accessed at Figueroa mtn.

Think Coal Oil Point, Tarpits park, venoco, greka energy, oil platforms and processing plants....you're getting warmer.

COMMENT 340110 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 09:52 AM

There is a guy on the internet who claims the smoking hillside in Hope Ranch is evidence of vulcanism. I emailed him about the Monterey Oil formation and underground coal seam fires elsewhere. His response,"I've seen what I need to see." So...volcanoes are in the eye of the beholder. Wait! I saw flame in the hill west of la conchita emanating from a metal tubular volcano, the end is near.

COMMENT 340259 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 01:14 PM

Rincon, east of Krakatoa.

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:54 PM

@259 for the win!

20% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.