Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 45.7°F | Humidity: 54% | Pressure: 30.15in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15897 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Cold Springs Trail Fire Photos
updated: Nov 06, 2012, 2:13 PM

By Edhat Subscribers

Subscribers were quick to grab their cameras when the fire near Cold Springs Trail broke out.

Back to Main Story

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 339879P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 02:39 PM

Is that Cold Springs Trail that cuts through the burnt area or is it an optical illusion?

COMMENT 339880P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 02:41 PM

looks like the trail to me

COMMENT 339894 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:05 PM

really with the watermarks? take a minute and seriously think about the purpose they serve and if it's appropriate here.

COMMENT 339896P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:10 PM

894:

What's your issue with watermarks? Nothing wrong with the photographer wanting viewers to know who took the pics. Unless you were planning on passing them as your own why would you care?

And yes, it is appropriate...

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:11 PM

What are you referencing 894?

COMMENT 339899P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:12 PM

The pilots are to be thanked.

COMMENT 339903 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:15 PM

To Henry, Bravo! Great photos.

COMMENT 339907 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:17 PM

Amazing shots, esp. the one of the underside of a helicopter and the one with the rotors captured in still motion, that's some fast shutter speed! Excellent.

And to the wet blanket- Bitter, party of one, your table is ready!

COMMENT 339911 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:25 PM

These guys are definitely pros at what they do. Bravo.

COMMENT 339912 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:26 PM

Someone has a really great camera and can use it well!
Nicely done and thanks for the excellent shots.

COMMENT 339913P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:28 PM

Looks to me as though there is a watermark on only one of them --- and given these are action shots, having them is not offensive, as names are on scenic shots. Having watermarks on those is distracting, making them look like postcards for sale. These photos are excellent, giving a clear idea of what was happening with the fire, what was involved. Thanks for them!!

COMMENT 339919 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:44 PM

907 - Thanks. Chuck Cagara here. FYI - I took the two close-up helicopter shots using a D800E with 300mm lens and 1.7 tele-converter if you happen to be a photo buff.

COMMENT 339923P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:59 PM

907: Its funny you mention that as I generally up my aperture to f/8 or higher when shooting aircraft just to get some motion blur on the props/rotors. It looks unnatural to me when they are frozen and look like they aren't moving.

This isn't a criticism of the work at hand, just an observation.

COMMENT 339924P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:02 PM

watermark totally acceptable in my opinion- that is a fantastic shot!!!

COMMENT 339926 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:06 PM

As the submitter of about 60% of the photos on this page, I kind of see 894's point. I debated adding a watermark to my shots, but it felt wrong to me. Mostly because I think they're ugly. But it's a fact of life for pro 'togs that their photos regularly get stolen, so...

COMMENT 339928 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:13 PM

Any of the personnel who put their lives on the line deserve a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMENT 339940 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:54 PM

I just thought we had a sign like the Hollywood sign that said Henry's name & I just never noticed it. (I don't care about watermarks on these kids of images - like 913, having them across pretty pics (which tend to be huge obnoxious watermarks, whereas henry's was pretty subtle) is annoying to me.
926: Thank you for adding photos - I wouldn't have minded your watermark. :)

COMMENT 339944 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 05:16 PM

923P - I took the 2 heli photos and I agree with you. Normally I pan with a slower shutter speed to allow for some natural blur, but here I wanted sharp detail in the markings.

COMMENT 339976P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 07:07 PM

All are fantastic shots!
I wanted to give a shout out to heli pilots after watching the Gibraltar Road rescue videos.

COMMENT 340022P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:20 AM

THANKS to those who saved our bacon, yet again. We are grateful.

INQUIRING MIND agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:56 AM

The response here really underscores the benefit of having aircraft ready and nearby.

Thanks for the photos, watermarks or not!

ANIMALLISTNER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 10:23 AM

I BIG thank you to ALL our men and women that fought the fire from the ground up! We are so blessed to have the best city and county fire Departents!

COMMENT 340356 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 05:49 PM

Great job but I can't help but wonder - had there been anything like this kind of response to the Tea Fire, as opposed to this one above Montecito, hundreds of homes, including ours, might not have been destroyed.

52% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.