Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.0°F | Humidity: 83% | Pressure: 29.89in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15654 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Roger for Congress!
updated: Nov 06, 2012, 11:59 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Apparently the only way to write in a candidate is to put the persons name in whatever space is available.

This is what I did. I hope it gets counted.

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 339688 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:06 PM

Congrats on "spoiling" your ballot.

COMMENT 339716P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:25 PM

Yeah, if there's no write in space, you can't write in for that position, and I think you may have just invalidated your ballot.

COMMENT 339725 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:31 PM

It is also against the law in CA to post a picture of your completed ballot. This is to protect our rights to have an anonymous vote; it's a first-amendment balancing act.

www dot propublica dot org/article/why-it-may-be-illegal-to-instagram-your-ballot

COMMENT 339736 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:37 PM

Just saw an NPR piece that said (in MA) it is illegal to take a pic of your ballot and share in social media.

I was also approached by a polling place "watcher" and told I couldn't wear the old t-shirt i had on... (it had a pic of our president from 2008). I thought that wrong, as I was not at all promoting. just minding my own business and voting...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:41 PM

Opps...I voted for Lois..But Thanks I'm full of scrap but not enough to be a politican..

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:50 PM

Lighten up everyone, it's funny.

COMMENT 339765 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:51 PM

Wow. I'm not a huge patriot freak or anything, but this is really kind of disrespectful.

We have so few rights left and though a lot of them don't count for much anymore, voting is one right that all of us who are citizens (both born and naturalized) have. Why mock that? If you don't want to vote, don't. But don't make it into a joke, because it's not.

I also though it was pretty common knowledge that photographing a ballot and is illegal.

COMMENT 339769 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:57 PM

dats funny. need some chill pills around here.

COMMENT 339774 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 12:59 PM

Darn it, I was going to wear my Obama shirt! I'll just stick to my purple dress, then! BTW, that's funny. Go Roger!

COMMENT 339785P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:05 PM

Excellent!

Roger in Congress. Yes!

COMMENT 339804 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:16 PM

An old, broken down pot head can't do worse than the clowns we have now.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:25 PM

I'd be the Beast rootin tootin and Farting Congressman they ever heard!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:25 PM

Watch it 804 I'm a bleeding Fart Liberal!

COMMENT 339825 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:34 PM

What a waste. Shameful and embarrassing.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 01:37 PM

In that case I accept!

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 02:03 PM

We need you here, Roger.

COMMENT 339885P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 02:55 PM

What's shameful and embarrassing is that we are forced to vote for the lesser of two bad candidates - in every race, again and again. Because the system that allows us to "choose" our representation is so badly broken. I say - good for you, OP, for getting out there and voicing your dissent. A lot of people just don't vote and say their vote doesn't count anyway.

And the "waste" is thinking that one or the other of these career politicians is going to give a darn about what will best help their constituents, because they are busy thinking about what will best help their own careers.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:01 PM

I sure hope I could eat at the Habit everyday on my salery not that I'm just looking out for myself or anything like that..lol

COMMENT 339910 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:24 PM

Couldn't agree with 885 more.

Our electoral system is a mockery of electoral systems everywhere. How anyone can be proud of it is beyond me.

COMMENT 339916 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:34 PM

Roger has every bit as much business in congress as Capps! The only reason she's there is because her husband died. What the hell makes her more qualified than Roger. I think it's kind of pathetic that we actually allowed it to happen. Thought it then, still think it now. Go for it Roger! Roger hasn't charged me anything for his countless hours of service to date. She voted to give $700 BILLION of our taxes to the the people who screwed it up in the first pace. Thought it then, still think it now!

COMMENT 339917 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 03:39 PM

Wait, if we don't agree with the choices on the ballot, don't we have the right to write in a candidate? If so, what's wrong with exercising that right?

COMMENT 339930P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:25 PM

It's illegal to post a photo of your ballot online: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/posting-photo-your-ballot-online-why-its-crime-some-states-1C6884773

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 04:41 PM

I'm fed up with what's now illegal re voting. It used to be that having your ballot stub (pre "I voted" stickers) got you half priced ice cream, movie tickets, and all sorts of other goodies in town. Now it's illegal to "bribe" someone to vote. It wasn't a bribe, it was a reward or a positive incentive to do your civic duty! The lack of common sense in Sacramento and Washington DC drives me crazy. I'd love to go to the movies at half price tonight, because the results are going to be the same tomorrow as they are tonight, and I just don't have to know which party's flunkies won right away. It's inevitably disappointing to large numbers of people, no matter the result. Why not give them a half priced ice-cream to cheer them up?

COMMENT 339946P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 05:23 PM

So, what do you suggest, 910, to take the place of the present system? ...serious question, I'd really like to know.

COMMENT 339975P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 07:01 PM

I feel sick. I hope it's not a wasted ballot. Oh well.

COMMENT 339985 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 07:36 PM

If they won't provide a write in space, they should at least provide a "None of the Above" box.

COMMENT 339991 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 08:11 PM

@YPYETR, the fact that you can even say any of that completely negates your understanding of politics or history.

The idea that Capps is unqualified for her position or has never done good, let alone someone who has no political experience could do as good of a job makes you seem ignorant, I hope you realize that. I don't say that as a dig at you, trust me. I say that because no matter what side of the political arena you're on, this kind of extremist, uneducated statement is part of the problem in political rhetoric.

COMMENT 339995 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 08:32 PM

946:

Serious answer: some way to remove the monetary factor.

It's not hard to see that money wins elections, not principles. You can't tell me guys like Rick Perry and Herman Cain were actually ever suited to even run for president.

Money makes everything go round, doesn't really even matter which party you're talking about.

COMMENT 339998P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 08:56 PM

995-thoroughly agree about the monetary factor, but unfortunately the US Sup. Ct.has ruled that money is "speech" and as such is protected. The recent Citizens United decision reinforced that ...but there's likely to be two Sup Ct vacancies within the next 4 years and with this election there may be some changes. Campaign finance changes are now effectively dead. For now.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-06 10:29 PM

I don't need a reward to perform my civic duty of voting!
I enjoy it. I study and read. Our reward is to live in a decent country. (of course it could be better in many ways, whichever way you roll.) You can have my ice cream.

COMMENT 340309 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 03:57 PM

It is not an ignorant suggestion that virtually anyone with reasonable intelligence could do as well a "job" as Lois Capps. She slid into office after her husbands death out of voter sympathy. She swore she would only serve 1 term. That was 6 terms ago. While in office she never originated a single important bill. Rather she tagged along and "co-sponsored" bills she was directed to do by Pelosi the speaker, or the house whip. I called her 3 times and wrote her twice concerning a non-partisan matter of considerable local importance. I never got a response for 8 months after which I finally got an apology and the statement it was now too late to do anything about it. I am a Democrat and would be the first to say even though she is a "nice person" Santa Barbara needs and deserves someone better than Lois Capps, who has proven to be a big ZERO!

COMMENT 340311 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 04:01 PM

Lois has sponsored (not co-sponsored, but sponsored) plenty of bills in every legislative session she has been a part of. Your willful ignorance of the facts proves that you are posting simply to badmouth someone you don't like. If you don't like her, just say so. But don't make up lies and untruths about what she has or hasn't done in Congress just to justify your anger.

I personally love having Lois Capps as my Rep. I couldn't ask for someone better to represent my values in Congress.

COMMENT 340364 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:07 PM

311 - please provide us with some of the significant legislation Capps originated or sponsored. 309's comments are well taken and shared by others and your intolerance and nasty dismissal of them is out of line.

COMMENT 340374 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 06:28 PM

Can't post links. But it's not difficult to use a site like congress dot gov, govtrack, THOMAS (affiliated with the Library of Congress) to look up her record. You'll also find that she was below the median average in terms of how many votes she missed overall.

For what it's worth, she sponsored at least 20 bills in this particular Congress. Not counting co-sponsorships.

But you probably feel that only earth-shattering legislation is "significant", so a lot of what she has done is probably insignificant to you. But not to me.

COMMENT 340387 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-07 07:23 PM

374 - sorry but there is no issue of any consequence on which Capps has taken a leadership role. I voted for her but only because her opponent was even worse - watching the two of them spend thousands and thousands of dollars running dueling ads on television about one another's personal tax returns was appalling - neither showed any legislative or leadership ability - rather a numbing demonstration of the evil of two lessers.

COMMENT 340470P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-08 07:50 AM

311 - I couldn't agree more. And the fact Lois voted against the Iraq war on day one will always get my vote for her.

47% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.