Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 66.4°F | Humidity: 86% | Pressure: 29.88in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15560 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this
HISTORY

Vintage Aerial Santa Barbara
updated: Oct 04, 2012, 2:21 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

I found this old overview shot of our beautiful town, and wanted to share it here. Enjoy.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

EZ2 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 02:25 PM

Wow

COMMENT 327829 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 02:29 PM

anybody have any idea what year this might be?

COMMENT 327835P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 02:41 PM

@829 Wild guess: 1930s. Saw some other similar shots of sandpit/harbor, taken 1936.

COMMENT 327837 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 02:44 PM

If you ever wondered why they dredge the harbor, this pic explains it well!

COMMENT 327844 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:03 PM

I don't see the Harbor Restaurant or the 8-story Granada Theater. That would make this pre-1924. If so, probably not much before 1924.

COMMENT 327846 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:07 PM

Town looks way too developed to be the 20's or 30's. I would say this would be more like the 40's or early 50's.

SBALAX agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:09 PM

The fact that this appears to be a color photograph and not tinted puts it much later than the '20's. The Riviera seems to be pretty much built out. Can we get an enlargement?

COMMENT 327851 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:12 PM

A high-resolution file would be wonderful to look at some details! Thanks for posting this!

COMMENT 327854 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:16 PM

What a great shot! Way before the decline began with gangs, homeless, overcrowding, and Disney style tourism. This shot is from SB golden age.

COMMENT 327867 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:36 PM

It's also color, so definitely not pre-1924. I would love to know the true date. My educated guess is 1960s, but possibly 50s.

COMMENT 327868 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:39 PM

The breakwater was completed in 1928 but the marinas weren't built until much later. This could well be from the 50's.

COMMENT 327875 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 03:56 PM

Sand Bar seems to be firing.

COMMENT 327880 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:01 PM

what are those cute red lettered circles for?

COMMENT 327882 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:05 PM

You can see the corner edge of La Playa Stadium.

COMMENT 327884 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:08 PM

I think it's from the50s. By the way, The more natural harbor would have been east beach by the bird Bird Refuge, but the wealthy donor insisted on the current harbor. Or so I was told.

COMMENT 327888 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:19 PM

Those are Navy ships tied up to the Navy Pier. This was definitely taken during World War II.

COMMENT 327896 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:28 PM

City collage showed up in 1954 so I'd say this is after that.

COMMENT 327904P agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:44 PM

For you history buffs who grew up in our area, there is a cool FB page called: "Damn Right I Grew Up in Santa Barbara"..it is jam-packed with historic pictures and comments. Very fun!

COMMENT 327907 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 04:52 PM

City college was used by UCSB prior to 1954.
No Granada is big deal--must be hand tinted photo.

COMMENT 327917 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 05:28 PM

I not sure there is not a Granada, but I'm sure that all boats are moored and that there are no slips built, and that the Navy Pier is there. That puts it between '42 and '54.

My guess is some time in WWII.

COMMENT 327922 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 05:56 PM

I see the Arlington which was built after the Granada. Granada must be there. A better res photo would be great.

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-04 06:49 PM

I saved this pic to my pictures and zoomed in. Not super clear, but I think I can see the tall Granada Building.

Great pic! Thanks for posting this!

904P: I am definitely going to check out the FB page. Thanks!

880: mouse over the little letters and you'll have your answer!

COMMENT 328019 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 07:55 AM

The photograph is from the early 1950s. The photographer was Josef Muench. Note the little hill next to Los Banos pool. Prior to 1943 Cabrillo Boulevard ended at Castillo. You can see where the city had sliced into the edge of the City College mesa (formerly the Leadbetter Estate and before that the Dibblee Estate) to create a new road to get to the harbor. The left over stub of the hill was known as "Fossil Hill." The ancient waterfront feature remained a popular climbing and exploring site for generations until it was bulldozed for the expanded harbor parking lot in 1967. - Neal Graffy

JMAC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 08:20 AM

Neal, you ROCK! Thanks for always contributing such awesome (and accurate) commentary!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 10:08 AM

Neal, I was sure it was the 50s, thanks for confirming. 907, UCSB did not use City College, it was on the Riviera until 1954 when it moved to Goleta.

COMMENT 328074 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 10:24 AM

I love this town so much! History lessons are awesome :)

SBALAX agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 10:38 AM

Some UCSBC (University of California, Santa Barbara College) classes WERE held at the present City College site. My cousin was an Industrial Arts major and had classes there and on the Riviera.

COMMENT 328116 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 11:30 AM

My sister and I spent many an hour exploring "fossil hill" while our parents were setting up BBQ/picnics at the tables and pits that were on ground level at the Ocean side of the Hill and were for public use. That was in the early 50's. The hill was not only bulldozed to make way for the parking lot and marinas (my folks had to take a little skiff to get out to their moored sailboat before marinas existed) but the thousands of cubic yards of dirt from that hill were moved to the bluff below shoreline drive to complete the extension of shoreline down to meet Cabrillo Blvd. as it does today. This was done in the early to mid 60's.

COMMENT 328296 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-10-05 06:04 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful historic pictures. I LOVE them!! Is there another place to see them on line besides FB?

28% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.