Edhat Person of the Week - 01/21/04
- Born and raised in Istanbul, Turkey
- BA degree in Business Administration & Marketing from Bosphorus University in Istanbul
- Participated in Istanbul Rotaract Club (youth branch of Rotary Club)
- Came to Santa Barbara for a Certificate program at UCSB Extension
- Married to her American sweetheart
- Completed 2 other certificates at Extension : WebMaster and Ecommerce
- Enjoys stained glass, mosaics, fused glass and pottery classes at Adult Ed
- Have been assisting web design classes at UCSB Extension since 2000
- Manages her own web design company – MBB Design – since 2002
- Co-founder of FastALBUM.com – Online Photo Album Website
- In process of building her dream house with her husband
What brought you to Santa Barbara?
In 1997, just after graduating from college in Turkey, I came to Santa Barbara to take UCSB Extension’s Business & Management Certificate Program. The program was for only five months but I happened to meet my husband at the third month which made me extend my stay for good.
What do you like most about Santa Barbara?
Casual life style, good weather, outdoor activities, beaches, mountain views.
What would you like to change about Santa Barbara?
I would change the housing prices. I “lost” many of my friends due to that… Usually people (mainly university graduates) can not afford to buy a house in this town which forces them to leave.
Favorite things to do with out-of-town guests?
Take a long walk at Hendry’s Beach. Go hiking up on the mountains. Wine tasting in Santa Ynez. Walk at State Street.
If you were to take a photograph of Santa Barbara to send to your friends, where would you take it?
Hendry’s Beach, just before sunset.
If you were not living in Santa Barbara where would you live?
I enjoy the California climate and the “attitude”… If I did not live here, my second choice would be probably one of the San Diego suburbs.
Favorite Santa Barbara restaurant?
Fresco… We are lucky to live only five minutes away from this delicious Italian restaurant. They have the best salads, sandwiches and desserts in town, with great pricing.
Favorite Santa Barbara park?
Hendry’s Beach… Both my husband and I enjoy taking our dog there for walk.
Favorite Santa Barbara event?
Art Show at Cabrillo Street on Sundays … So inspiring to see all the artists with their unique art pieces.
We want to hear from you ... tell us what you think
Nominate someone for Person of the Week