Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 62.0°F | Humidity: 78% | Pressure: 29.87in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: ESE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 12/24/12

previous day | next day

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 357056P helpful negative off topic

Decked Out for Christmas

2012-12-24 12:03 AM

I got to vote. I think your Bella lost by 2 votes.

COMMENT 357057P helpful negative off topic

Musings on More Mesa

2012-12-24 12:21 AM

What a terrible loss of habitat this will be.

COMMENT 357058 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:53 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about this dog, and I feel for the owners. However, I'm not a fan of fencing the bluff top. I have walked dogs at the Wilcox for 20 years and have not witnessed any issues with the cliffs. It is true that young dogs and new ones to the preserve need to be watched carefully until they know about the cliff. Years ago, it was the paragliders that put up a fight when the City attempted to put up some kind of barrier/fencing along the edge. I've always been glad that they prevailed.

read complete comment thread

LALALALA helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 06:23 AM

The owners were on the cliff above shouting their lungs out for 'Lucy' to not go down the cliff!! To their horror, she did not listen and thus, fell. My sister and her husband were absolutely devastated, this was their dog. So thankful for the kind, helpful people below.

COMMENT 357060 helpful negative off topic

Lola's Hat

2012-12-24 06:28 AM

I think Lola is thrilled to be in a loving home where her people remember her at Christmas with a gift made by a talented artisan like Randy Meaney, wouldn't you agree "bulleyes"?

COMMENT 357061 helpful negative off topic

Care for the Children

2012-12-24 06:32 AM

Great job, Rick and Gregg! For over 10 years these guys have never wavered helping kids. In '06, I spent a year teaching in a junior high- in OHIO! I had a student not wear his glasses for a few days. When I asked about them, he told me that he broken them, and his mom could not afford to get new ones, yet. I called Gregg here in SB. "Send me his prescription," he replied. I got it from the school office and faxed it here. About a week later, via UPS, a new pair shows up at school. You should have seen the look on the kid's face! No more squinting!! Needless to say, it went over well with the principal that a substitute teacher was able to "magically" get a new pair of glasses for one of his students.

These guys are always willing to do something for a kid.

COMMENT 357062P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 06:51 AM

So heartbreaking! Only place I let my dog be off leash is at home, he's a little guy and I'm worried he will run off and get hit by a car of fall of the cliff, etc. So sad for the owners of the dog that this happened and that they saw their friend fall to their death, I would be crushed as well :(

COMMENT 357063P helpful negative off topic

Lola's Hat

2012-12-24 06:52 AM

Lola, what beautiful eyes you have! What type of dog is she? Pretty girl! :)

read complete comment thread

ANDY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 07:09 AM

Bad Bad place to unleash an untrained dog that won't come when called. We are their pack leaders and should watch out for them at all times.

Heart goes out to the owners. They will never be the same

I agree that a fence should be erected..

COMMENT 357065P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 07:31 AM

Seems like the only way the city of SB responds is because of a lawsuit. Where are the councilmembers on this? At least one, Murillo, has a dog and has expressed interest in dog parks. Maybe she might respond and do something without the need for a lawsuit?

I can't understand the opposition, CEES's for instance, in having a fence, invisble over the edge of the cliff, to protect dogs from falling. Wilcox/Douglas is in effect an attractive nuisance - even better behaved dogs can get out of control chasing a squirrel.

I won't bring my little dog there to this public park that I donated for: it's not fair to a dog to be onleash when all the rest are offleash; and having him offleash is putting his life at risk.

2012-12-24 07:31 AM

About a year or so ago a touist lost both of his dogs off a cliff there..I wouldn't mind seeing this area fenced. It might be unnatural to put up a fence/barracade I'd rather stop hearing these sad stories of dogs losing their lives..If it happens to a kid there will be no question fence will go up anyway.

COMMENT 357067 helpful negative off topic

Lola's Hat

2012-12-24 07:32 AM

Looks like Lola would like to be rescued from that hat.

Traffic Accident

2012-12-24 07:37 AM

Yea I was wondering about that too they got the guy though thats why it was an attempted.

COMMENT 357069 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 07:43 AM

Oh, so very, very, very heartbreaking. How incredibly sad. RIP Lucy and many blessings for the owners. xoxox

As for a fence. Not gonna happen. For a million reasons. Money, maintenance, eyesore, cliff erosion issues. A sign warning people of the dangers, yes. Several signs along the cliff, yes. The more the place is used, the more accidents that will happen. You can't protect everyone from everything. It's a cliff. It's a terrible place to take kids and yet I see people with their young kids there (think feces, urine, especially in the puddles after the rain, OMG, so bad and adults let their kids splash in the puddles!!!). BIG SIGN that says STOP and READ before entering the Douglas Preserve. Like Rip Tide warnings and other natural features people are not always familiar with...

Pedestrian In Traffic

2012-12-24 07:44 AM

Don't worry about it NBD Just don't do every call I'll be up all night and never get any sleep..

RAINE5360 helpful negative off topic

Holiday Vacation

2012-12-24 07:48 AM

Home. We sat in the SB airport and never got off the ground Saturday. Flights to SFO were delayed enough and booked enough that we could not get a connection to continue on to see my son. No Christmas for us this year.

COMMENT 357072 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 07:53 AM

My vote is for no fence.

COMMENT 357073 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 07:56 AM

Please do not protect us from nature with fences. These are the chances we take to enjoy nature with our dogs. I am scared when our dogs approach the edge and I call them away. I run the dogs on the beach below because the cliff is less of a threat.(falling rock) Condolences to the owner. This is a huge loss for the dogs' pack, and one we all dread.

COMMENT 357074 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:08 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who were touched so deeply by this tragedy~Peace, Love, & Comfort go out to you.

COMMENT 357075 helpful negative off topic

Musings on More Mesa

2012-12-24 08:11 AM

Love that place !!!!

COMMENT 357076 helpful negative off topic

Baxter

2012-12-24 08:12 AM

What a charmer!

COMMENT 357077 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:15 AM

No fence. Next they'll be requiring dogs off leash dogs to wear helmets, paw pads and knee pads.

COMMENT 357078P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:23 AM

I wish that dog owners would put their dogs on leash as they approach the cliffs, unless the dogs are very reliably under voice control. This type of preventable accident continues to happen here every year. Very sad for the families and especially for the dogs who suffer.

COMMENT 357079 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:28 AM

Yes, I saw a small dog die there a few years ago and it was heartbreaking. There should definitely be some sort of warning/sign since it happens way too often.

COMMENT 357080 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:28 AM

Sorry to hear and I hope the family of this pup all the love.

A few notes to the commentors: DFP is NOT a dog park. It is a park that allows dogs off leash. Big difference. A fence is not the cure. A few inexpensive signs posted in the two key spots this is likely to happen would suffice.

Dogs chase things wheather it's at DFP, Tunnel trail, More Mesa or La Cumbre peak. Us dog owners are all keenly aware of the vigilance that's required of curious pups and the training necessary to teach them from their own behaviors. It's forever on going.

COMMENT 357081 helpful negative off topic

Lights

2012-12-24 08:29 AM

Check out the neighborhood off Las Positas!! Veronica Springs, Veronica Place, & Las Positas Place... By far the best displays in Santa Barbara, in this spirited neighborhood!!!
Also on the Trolley tour! We go through it several times every season... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

read complete comment thread

CLAWMARKS helpful negative off topic

Set of Chopsticks

2012-12-24 08:29 AM

Yes, the Oriental Market near Trader Joe's on Calle Real has a very nice selection!!

COMMENT 357084 helpful negative off topic

Lola's Hat

2012-12-24 08:30 AM

Is this a felted hat? Randy does beautiful designs and is usually a knitter.

COMMENT 357085 helpful negative off topic

Holiday Vacation

2012-12-24 08:31 AM

5360~it's only a 5.5 hour roadtrip to S.F. Roadtrip !!!

COMMENT 357086P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:40 AM

What a sad thing - sympathies to all involved.

read complete comment thread

UPONTHEHILL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:41 AM

This is very sad news. Loosing a member of your family is a hard thing.

COMMENT 357088P helpful negative off topic

Elizabeth Anne de Noble

2012-12-24 08:42 AM

Too young, too young. :-(

COMMENT 357089P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:52 AM

A law suit? Please. That's ridiculous. Perhaps we should fence off the ocean down below ... it is also designated as 'off leash' and an over zealous dog might run in and drown.
I'm very very sorry for the dog and its owners (and thankful for the kind people down below), but don't understand the 'Sue! Sue! Sue!' mentality.

COMMENT 357090P helpful negative off topic

Decked Out for Christmas

2012-12-24 09:09 AM

That's adorable!

COMMENT 357091 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:13 AM

It is a sad story for all involved. Terrible, deep loss.

The fence, suing, etc. Would be better in another forum, but since it's here...

No fence. We live on a planet that has dangers. I don't get the mentality of fencing off nature to "protect us". Skiing, surfing, backpacking, kayaking...the element of "danger", the unknown, nature is what makes it all so very exciting and deeply felt. Warning signs in areas where a lot of people go that are inexperienced in the outdoors, necessary for sure. The more you put up signage, the more you destroy the experience. Pretty soon we wouldn't be able to go anywhere for fear of a lawsuit. No swimming in the ocean (sharks! rip tides! sea weed!). No hiking (land slides! cliffs! fallen trees!). Man made items (roads, bridges) need to maintained and in good, safe working order as we expect that and need it. But nature...leave nature to herself...

read complete comment thread

GOBBLEDYGOOK helpful negative off topic

Holiday Vacation

2012-12-24 09:17 AM

I'm visiting the beautiful seaside town of Santa Barbara, where there are great hikes and flowers blooming and great bakeries and quiet nights and it's really cheap, too--I can stay there for no more than it costs me to stay at home!
And I'm also going up to SF for a family friend's 88th birthday on 1/1/13. She has a spiffy apartment on Nob Hill with views of both bridges--amazing. My daughter's never seen it, and we're both excited. We're also going to ride a cable car and walk some serious steps.
I'm not a City employee but I'm happy to "allow" people to come here for wine and bikes and marathons. I feel lucky to live in a place where people come for things like that.

COMMENT 357093 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:24 AM

As we walk through this life-time, all deeds & actions are a direct result of our being wherever we find ourselves. Life & Death are a part of our paths...No-one is forcing anyone else to live,we do so by choice..& by the same choice,we then accept responsibility for all that occours during this life. In other words..everything that happens to you is your own fault...Do like it?...then go to where Life can`t find you.

COMMENT 357094 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:27 AM

Peak at presents and try to figure out what everyone got me. Then pick out the one I want to open after Xmas Eve dinner. Then go to the opera.

COMMENT 357095 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:31 AM

I am so sad to hear this story. I walk a friend's dog every now and then at Hendry's. There have been times when I've thought of taking her up to the Wilcox, but since she is not my dog, I don't. She loves to run off-leash. She is far too valuable to risk. Thank you for posting this. It will remind me to keep her safe on the ground away from any cliffs when I walk her! I'll stick to the beach. But, please don't argue to fence off the Wilcox! I agree with 069.

COMMENT 357096 helpful negative off topic

Lights

2012-12-24 09:33 AM

WONDERFUL!!!

COMMENT 357097 helpful negative off topic

Lola's Hat

2012-12-24 09:34 AM

Lola is a dignified and beautiful german shepherd. She doesn't look thrilled to be in that hat. They know. I swear they do!

COMMENT 357098 helpful negative off topic

Emma

2012-12-24 09:34 AM

What wonderful cats!! Merry Christmas!

COMMENT 357099 helpful negative off topic

Musings on More Mesa

2012-12-24 09:37 AM

020, my guess is that you are not from California, or maybe you don't go to the beach very much or love nature. SAVE MORE MESA! I cannot imagine anyone blighting nature's beauty by building on this open space at a time when coastal open space is all but GONE.

COMMENT 357100 helpful negative off topic

Holiday Vacation

2012-12-24 09:39 AM

969 for the WIN! :-)

COMMENT 357101 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 09:40 AM

Merry Christmas (a little early) Roger

Thanks for all the great reports this year! I hope your Holiday is great.

COMMENT 357102 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:41 AM

When I was young and Catholic, we would always go to midnight mass then come home and as it was Christmas we would open presents. It was great.

COMMENT 357103 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:42 AM

My mother is German so, every year we go to her house and have a simple meal of borsht (spelling?) and cheese and bread. Then we all walk up to the manger at the mission and while we're gone, the "Christkind" (Baby Jesus) comes and leaves a little present by the tree.

The borsht is her own tradition she started and has blended in with the others to create a very magical Christmas every year!

COMMENT 357104 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:43 AM

If your dog runs away from you, and keeps going as you try to catch him, change directions and run in the opposite way, away from danger. He will see you and follow....most times.

COMMENT 357105 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 09:43 AM

"I fought the pole and the .... pole won!"

COMMENT 357106P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:47 AM

Chinese food and a movie.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:48 AM

Drive around looking at light displays and playing old 78 Christmas Carols from the 40's--on a turntable!! Eggnog or Hot Buttered Rum and with brandy balls or chocolate covered walnut stuffed prunes. and a wood fire in the fireplace.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

Set of Chopsticks

2012-12-24 09:52 AM

I'm thinking a series of tiny filed grooves ringing the base would be very practical. But not on a beautiful heirloom like yours.

Merry Christmas!

SBSURFERLIFE helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 09:54 AM

As a new couple I think it's great to create your own traditions.

My wife and I invite the in-laws and a bunch of friends over for drinks, appetizers, and desserts. The kids open their presents from the in-laws, then we all watch A Christmas Story until midnight. Christmas morning is designated for Santa and immediate family.

COMMENT 357110P helpful negative off topic

Trader Joes Police

2012-12-24 10:18 AM

Compounding the shortage of parking at peak hours is Poor Circulation within the lot itself. Where there are blind corners, perpendicular slots, low visibility caused by overgrown or improperly planted medians. etc. Bad planning is almost the rule rather than the exception, and caused by developer-client constraints.

( and why would a business try to keep people out of their store? to force them to shop at off-peak hours, thus evening out their work load and employee schedules.)

COMMENT 357111 helpful negative off topic

Set of Chopsticks

2012-12-24 10:19 AM

This is where we miss Kong's and Mrs. Lu's Chinese Store...

COMMENT 357112 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:19 AM

Candle light service and out to dinner!!!

COMMENT 357113P helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-24 10:20 AM

love those little pasteboard cottages and villages. And bristle brush Christmas trees! What shop is that??

COMMENT 357114 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:21 AM

Tamales and posole!

COMMENT 357115P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:22 AM

just make it up as you go along through the years--do what is fun and interesting to you, it will grow into something that is meaningful and anticipated all year!!

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

California Winter Wine Classic

2012-12-24 10:23 AM

"2nd Annual Once in a Lifetime event! had to chuckle, sorry.

2012-12-24 10:24 AM

Bah Humbug!

COMMENT 357118 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 10:34 AM

I wait until later in the week to get my car serviced.

COMMENT 357119 helpful negative off topic

National Guard Sign

2012-12-24 10:36 AM

Personally, I like the ways that the threads evolve and migrate. I think it would be really boring if we all just commented on the sign or lack of it. The comments just remind me how complex many of the issues we face in our daily live are, so something as simple as a sign can trigger a discussion over public vs private funding and priorities of our local government. As long as comments are respectful and add info to the discussion, the more the merrier.

COMMENT 357120 helpful negative off topic

Set of Chopsticks

2012-12-24 10:36 AM

Why not use the same ones but wash them. They usually are pretty sturdy.

Gas Leak

2012-12-24 10:38 AM

I guess your not a genie.

COMMENT 357122 helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-24 10:39 AM

Lewis and Clark in La Arcada, downtown SB.

COMMENT 357123 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:41 AM

oh Roger...I got over it.smile. I am ringing bells in Greenwich!

SBSURFERLIFE helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 10:41 AM

Trinity Episcopal

read complete comment thread

GBOB helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:42 AM

A very sad story indeed. Our hearts go out to the owners.

A thought: If we're serious about a fence, how many of us would be willing to donate to a fund to get it done? Hundreds, if not thousands, of us donated to purchase the park for the people (and dogs) of Santa Barbara. Why not start a collecting money now? Perhaps a civic-minded legal/tax expert would be willing to donate the small amount of time required to set up a non-profit to collect and administer. I'm serious. Thankfully, there are quite a few places to take our pups that don't have dangerous cliffs, but we visit Douglas occasionally because our girl seems to like the change of scene. To know it was safer with a fence would be a great comfort.

I'm willing to put $100 into a fund.

COMMENT 357126 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:43 AM

My heart breaks for the owners -- you are in my thoughts!

COMMENT 357127 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:43 AM

So sorry for the dog, their family, and all involved.

Those that wish for the government to save us from all the worlds problems with laws, signs, and fences should get over this liberalism disorder that is destroying this state and country

COMMENT 357128 helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-24 10:46 AM

Third one, photo of the day.

COMMENT 357129 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 10:55 AM

Ditto EDDIEKD's post. Not the time and place for fencing and lawsuit debate. Right now compassionate comments of support and condolence are more appropriate. RIP dear Lucy and my heartfelt sympathy to your grieving family.

COMMENT 357130P helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-24 10:57 AM

ahhhh Lewis & Clark...should've known.

COMMENT 357132 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:07 AM

Watch the folks fight...

COMMENT 357134 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:16 AM

Holiday martinis followed by a candle-lite chicken picatta dinner. I've tried to mix it up over the years, but everyone insists on this favorite!

COMMENT 357135 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:26 AM

When I was a kid we were allowed to open one present on Christmas eve night, but it was always one my mom picked for us to open. Inevitably it was a new set of pajamas, each time. Then we put on our new cozy pjs, bundled into the car, and she would drive us around to look at the best lights on houses in town, until we got sleepy enough to be able to take home. Got tucked into bed, and then she'd be up all night wrapping gifts while we slept, just in time for them to appear on Xmas morning.

COMMENT 357136 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:26 AM

Heart breaking. RIP sweet Lucy. ART, Inc.

REXOFSB helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 11:36 AM

I second Trinity Episcopal.

Episcopalian = Catholic Lite--all the sin and half the guilt.

COMMENT 357139 helpful negative off topic

Lights

2012-12-24 11:46 AM

And Clearview Rd. off of Valerio on the west side just past Mountain Ave. Very homey and sweet, not over the top like Quinientos.

read complete comment thread

MOUNTAINFOX helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 11:47 AM

Sweet Lord Jesus! That dog is in heaven..take comfort all who mourn...Merry Christmas truly, God cares and loves.

SHOREBIRD helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:04 PM

2nd vote for tamales and posole followed by a million tasty Christmas cookies. Piano solos and guitar solos by grandsons. And dogs who are trained to open presents. Cherchez la squeakers.

When asked what he wanted to get for Christmas Ricky Gervais said "fat and drunk."

read complete comment thread

NATURE BOY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:09 PM

Lobster mac n' cheese for dinner every Christmas eve!

COMMENT 357144 helpful negative off topic

Decked Out for Christmas

2012-12-24 12:12 PM

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

COMMENT 357145 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:25 PM

Fear not Roger, I second your HUMBUG with emphasis. It's good to not drink the kool-aid.

COMMENT 357146 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:28 PM

These days, I watch Christmas Vacation and drink a quart of 'nog.

When I was a kid, we did the "one present" thing. Never a "Santa" gift because those were the good ones reserved for the big day.

COMMENT 357147 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:28 PM

Big family get together. We eat tamale pie. We have had this Christmas Eve in our family for over 100 years. Great Grandma had a cook. She would leave a big pot of tamale pie in the oven for the family on Christmas Eve. Yummy.

2012-12-24 12:32 PM

I wanna watch the Folks fight the only way Christmas feels normal 3rd the Hum Bug!

COMMENT 357149 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 12:32 PM

Saturnalia being celebrated at the Tiburion.

COMMENT 357150 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:33 PM

Saturnalia traditions.... naked caroling!

2012-12-24 12:37 PM

I for one am sorry I mentioned the fence in this thread because it hijacked the thread that was not my intention. I am sorry for the loss of a great loyal trusted friend. Rest in Peace Dear Friend...

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 12:39 PM

Merry Christmas..I tangled up with a wood pole once and shreaded it with a 73 Ford LTD Wagon I ripped off while drunk once. The pole did not win that time.

SHOREBIRD helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:40 PM

-150. Inside or outside? If outside please post your address so we can drive by and enjoy the "show."

Ambulance at Alano Club

2012-12-24 12:41 PM

No didn't hear anything the city cops been talking put it on the Sheriffs channel but it's probably Lompoc pd don't think I have that channel..

Ambulance at Alano Club

2012-12-24 12:41 PM

Radio Reference.com check that out..

Ambulance at Alano Club

2012-12-24 12:50 PM

Heard someone being transported to the old Lompoc hospital but I don't know if it's from there..

COMMENT 357157 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:52 PM

It just breaks my heart whenever I hear these horrible stories. i f you Google "Noozhawk DFP" you will find the July 2011 article about some of the other recent deaths and injuries from those same cliffs.

COMMENT 357158P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:56 PM

When I was a kid my family let me open one present on Christmas Eve. They did not give any present hints. One year I opened a huge pack of C batteries. After my sisters and I opened one present each we'd play Tank and Pong on our Atari while mom cleaned up from dinner (something like liver and onions with stuffed cabbage or swiss steak with a variety of jello salads). Then as a family we'd pop a movie in the betamax, maybe Bedknobs and Broomsticks or Benji and enjoy the show until my Easy Bake Oven cakes were done. That was our intermission. I don't know how many times I burn myself on that thing.

COMMENT 357159 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 12:57 PM

Way up in Northern California, on Christmas Eve we always had:

- Home made clam chowder
- Anchor Steam Beer
- Dungeness Crab
- Fresh Hot Sourdough Bread

with the bread and crab from Buzz's Crab stand. This year we're having home made Cioppino in lieu of crab and chowder.

COMMENT 357160P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 01:10 PM

What 106P wrote.

COMMENT 357161 helpful negative off topic

Ty Warner's Gate

2012-12-24 01:35 PM

The wreaths on the gate look beautiful. I am hoping he will make a Beanie Baby that looks like the recent IKEA monkey in a shearling coat.

Roger Code Red

2012-12-24 01:38 PM

Best part of Christmas...Ho Ho Ho!

Roger Code Red

2012-12-24 01:58 PM

Vehicle and takes off headed toward Lompoc. Vehicle plate 6H47063 Suspect is a black male adult. I wonder what they are serving in County Jail for a holiday meal this year...

COMMENT 357164 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 02:01 PM

Handler error? They just lost their dog. Be kind.

COMMENT 357165 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 02:04 PM

They should take that as a sign from above. None have made it in this area.

COMMENT 357166 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 02:10 PM

local pub.

OLDMAN83 helpful negative off topic

Set of Chopsticks

2012-12-24 02:14 PM

Any Oriental Restaurant will usually give you some free.

COMMENT 357168P helpful negative off topic

The Indie Film Guru views a heartbr...

2012-12-24 02:22 PM

So where can one see this film. It's not playing locally.

COMMENT 357169 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 02:26 PM

Reality Church has early Christmas Eve Services in S.B. and Carp., and Ventura.

Santa Barbara | Santa Barbara High School - 700 East Anapamu Street  | 4pm
Carpinteria Campus | 5251 6th Street | 4pm
Ventura Campus | 1954 Goodyear Avenue | 3:30pm & 5pm

COMMENT 357170 helpful negative off topic

Christina Alexandra Djernaes

2012-12-24 02:38 PM

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful mother, sister, daugther and friend. Her generosity and love for her family and community were obvious.

COMMENT 357171 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 02:42 PM

Hot chocolate and a fire while wrapping presents; warm cinnamon rolls just out of the oven, and a hot cup of coffee on Christmas morning.

COMMENT 357172 helpful negative off topic

Thressa Kuipers

2012-12-24 02:42 PM

My condolences to Thressa's family and friends. She was such a bright light to all who met her. I'm sure she is shining on us from heaven tonight.

COMMENT 357173P helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 02:42 PM

Agree with 165, and wondering why there should be an _ice_ rink in Goleta?

COMMENT 357174 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 02:52 PM

Thank you for all the kind comments in response to my message. I volunteer at ASAP, and just received a post from the lead volunteer there today that someone came in and made 2 donations for the sake of Newtown and it's children. Perhaps we could all take this opportunity to do something similar to honor this beloved dogs death. Just a thought. I'm sure DAWG, WLCN and/or all of the other organizations we are fortunate to have helping animals in this town would also appreciate it

COMMENT 357175P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 02:55 PM

Why are those opposed to an out-of-sight fence, one that would catch/stop a falling dog? Do those opposed to such a barrier oppose all? Would you be opposed if a child fell off the cliff? Neither dogs nor small children can read signs - and a bunch of signs are at least arguably more intrusive than a fence that's over the edge.

This is not a natural, wild area; it's a city park, an "open space park", maintained by the city (remember the hacking of the Ficus a month or so ago!) The city has a responsibility for safety in its public parks — and it took it seriously enough to respond to alleged camping under the Ficus. Why is it silent when quite a few dogs have lost their lives or been seriously injured.

I am genuinely puzzled why people are opposed. (And, yes, I would contribute to such a fund --- and maybe would cease being sorry I contributed to the Wilcox fund.)

How do those unfortunate people who've lost their dogs there feel about a fence?

COMMENT 357176 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 03:07 PM

No way! They're short 750k for an ice rink??

COMMENT 357177 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 03:10 PM

2nd the Chinese food and a movie.

COMMENT 357178 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 03:17 PM

And what will become of the money raised / donated if the whole project falls through? I think the Ice Patch was around for maybe five years until it tanked.

COMMENT 357179 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 03:46 PM

lasagna!

COMMENT 357180P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Services

2012-12-24 03:59 PM

First United Methodist downtown. We go to this almost every year:

CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICES
7:00 p.m.
This family service will feature a children’s story with youth and children participating. This service, designed to be 45 minutes long, will include candle lighting.

9:00 p.m.
This service is highlighted by music from the Chancel Choir. One of the most well attended services of the evening, it will also feature candle lighting.

11:00 p.m.
This service is a more intimate and contemplative service. The Chancel Choir, communion (open to all) and candle lighting lead us to greet Christmas at the stroke of midnight.

First United Methodist Church
Corner of Garden and Anapamu Streets.
For more info: 963-3579.

# # # #

read complete comment thread

TWO ABBYS helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-24 04:05 PM

Lewis and Clark, best shop ever. They have such treasures!

COMMENT 357182 helpful negative off topic

Lights

2012-12-24 04:19 PM

I agree, the Eastside home is a ' PILE' of lights!!!
Definitely over the top!!!

COMMENT 357183P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-24 04:27 PM

Christmas and Thanksgiving would be the only time a decades old family tablecloth would be ironed carefully, and placed over padding to cover the table. Food would be prepared with special care, usually duck, not always prepared right, fresh cranberries, whipped sweet potatoes, and appreciation for life, each other and living in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 357184P helpful negative off topic

National Guard Sign

2012-12-24 04:33 PM

Let's remember the ranks of people dying and suffering from our misguided wars are mostly from our "poorer" people.

read complete comment thread

LOURAY helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 04:36 PM

Merry Christmas, Roger and Pooh.

And mice.

Roger, maybe just get the mice a big cage, put them into it as they show up until they are all present and accounted for. Then you'll know where they are.

We discouraged our mice by enclosing anything they might eat - - bread in the fridge, etc. - - and stuffing cracks with steel wool.

SHAKEY helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 04:36 PM

Merry Christmas Roger , hope you enjoy the hoody, I checked your reports & 9 out of 10 burglers and robbers prefer that type and color..ha ha Have a great one...

COMMENT 357187 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 04:39 PM

With the amount of money they have already raised, they could build outdoor skate parks in Goleta, Isla Vista, Summerland and Carpinteira. Those would last!

SHAKEY helpful negative off topic

Hazard Condition

2012-12-24 04:39 PM

Responding..

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-24 04:45 PM

I like to put together a huge pot of lentil stew with potatos, carrots, tomato, chilis, onions, the whole 9 yards..Anyone who's hungry can have some it's not alot but enough for a few people.

Hazard Condition

2012-12-24 04:48 PM

Residents say their meter was on fire..Transforner? other residents possible power out. Not awhole neighborhood but acouple residences..

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 04:50 PM

I hope some of the neighbors leave their cars unlocked over the holidays...heeheehee

COMMENT 357192 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 04:59 PM

This should be designed to be a multi-purpose venue. Configure it to handle a variety of activities so it's not a just for a single use.

COMMENT 357193P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 05:33 PM

Very sad story- those of us who knew this couple are stunned. We can only think that they were trying to get the dog who was later found dead at the scene. That's the only reason they'd take such a risk; they were trying to help an animal! Both of these women have a tremendous connection to Santa Barbara and this affects MANY people in two large families. Please take a moment to think of this tragic loss at such a poignant time... RIP BARBARA AND SUSAN

COMMENT 357194 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 05:34 PM

Go to Urgent care Got one the other day

COMMENT 357195 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 05:42 PM

Your insurance cover an Urgent Care prescription?? Mine does not. Just spent about $100 for infant Tamiflu. No pharmacy had it, only the clinic. If it were not for the baby, would have just suffered the flu. BTW we all had the flu shot this year.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-24 05:45 PM

my husband's family had the tradition of primerib & yorkshire pudding. I got to slow roasting a 3 rib roast for us on the BBQ. Plenty for leftovers.

Growing up it was two meals, a large turkey dinner at 1 with all the usual side dishes, pan roasted potatoes, green beans fresh favas, dressing, etc. Then at about 7 we'd have cold boiled ham with English dry mustard, potato salad, iceberg wedges, and lots of condiments. Mom would also fix cold boiled tongue for Gram and her sister. Dessert was her famous lemon chiffon pie.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 05:48 PM

try the Missions, but it's rather late now. If any of the community meals do delivery service, they may need drivers. Check the paper for announcements of meals being served tomorrow. Usually these meals are organized several months in advance. Put it on your calendar for October next year to start asking around.

COMMENT 357198 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 05:49 PM

Costco had Sumatriptan, the generic of Imitrix. It work really well. Relpax also works wonders, and is also cheaper than Imitrix.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 05:53 PM

found this for tonight!

Community Christmas Dinner
On Tuesday, December 25th, Santa Barbara Organic Soup Kitchen will host its Fourth Annual Community Dinner for Christmas at the Veteran's Memorial Building from 12:00 to 4pm. You are welcome to attend our Gift wrapping and Tree Trimming Party, Christmas Eve.

COMMENT 357201 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 06:02 PM

Do you sing, play the piano or entertain? If so, I think some of the nursing homes might love to have their residents enjoy it.

COMMENT 357202 helpful negative off topic

Mesa Post Office Closed

2012-12-24 06:32 PM

Xmas secret...in a couple of weeks, the Mesa CVS is going to be a lot less cluttered.

COMMENT 357203 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 06:32 PM

Come over to my house i could use a foot rub.

COMMENT 357204P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 06:33 PM

That's a great idea, Amara -- even going to visit those who are alone on the holiday would be a nice thing to do.

COMMENT 357205 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-24 06:36 PM

We are having a pork roast. The real tradition are the people we share the meal with. This year a couple have the flu so we will really miss them!

COMMENT 357206 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 06:46 PM

So sad, heartbreaking. What a loving, caring woman to stop for the dog and the couple who shared this story.

COMMENT 357207 helpful negative off topic

Lights

2012-12-24 06:48 PM

Everything under the sun, even the infant Jesus. Success?

read complete comment thread

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 06:50 PM

I agree with 115P. Our traditions usually started with doing one or two little things for a couple of years, then as kids come along and grow, they turn into solid traditions that last for years. One magical Christmas Eve really stands out - when my kids were young. We lived in Mission Canyon and my parens in Montecito. Every year we'd drive over APS for Christmas Eve dinner at my folks then back home to Mission Canyon. IOne year as we were passing the creche in front of the Mission we stopped because saw that one of the sheep had given birth to a lamb.. We walked over and one of the friars picked the littleguy up and came to the fence and talked to our kids, holding the lamb for them to stroke. It was cold and crisp - perfect Christmd weather and there we all stood talking with the friar and stroking the lamb. It was really special and I'll never forget that year - I think the kids (now in their 50s still remember too.

COMMENT 357209P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 06:56 PM

So very sorry to hear this. Condolences to their family and friends.

read complete comment thread

MACSCIDOR helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-24 07:29 PM

Homemade pizza on big, square cookie sheets with homemade crust -- every Christmas eve. Everyone 'decorates' with 'toppings:' cheese, tomato sauce, etc. (Probably mega-calories -- but our slim-family ate it only once a year.)

COMMENT 357212 helpful negative off topic

Solstice Winter White Ball

2012-12-24 07:29 PM

Thank you for the kind words about my close up strategy!

The hat was sewn by Solstice costume and construction wizard Christine for my Solstice costume several years ago.

When I took Latin many years ago we learned about the Saturnalia festivities of this season. As I understand it, the Christmas in December was invented to compete with Saturnalia.

COMMENT 357213P helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-24 07:57 PM

Thank you Roger for sharing your gifts of time and words. May you enjoy contentment and fun this holiday season and in 2013.

Rollover Accident

2012-12-24 08:08 PM

The last I heard they were going try and get a chopper out..

Rollover Accident

2012-12-24 08:09 PM

Vehicle off the roadway it's up on the CHP Site not much information there either.

COMMENT 357217 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-24 08:23 PM

The Ice Patch was busy until a wealthy family bought it so one of their kids could practice for the olympics.I enjoyed it as a kid.Any one remember who it was,or if the kid ever got to the olympics?

Police Activity

2012-12-24 08:37 PM

Not sure if subject has a weapon or what might have got acouple calls confused but the police are there searching for someone.

Police Activity

2012-12-24 08:37 PM

In case you see police in the area and wonder why..

COMMENT 357220 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-24 08:38 PM

Tamales and Enchiladas!

COMMENT 357221 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 08:42 PM

Try calling other cvs"s......or call your doctor and ask for a sample dose. Physicians get samples...to pass out to get people to try the expensive meds so it should be available. Good luck, and I hope you dont get a migraine without you meds....sending you happy head thoughts.

Police Activity

2012-12-24 08:50 PM

Sounds like they cleared the area..

COMMENT 357223P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 09:20 PM

My condolences. Paula Lopez had an extensive story as she knew the family. I don't understand why they were on the highway late at night trying to get their dog. Does anyone know?

COMMENT 357224P helpful negative off topic

Police Activity

2012-12-24 10:01 PM

They tazed him (bro) and then called for medics.

The reverse 911 request after it was a bit odd if they already had tazed him, but maybe it was another call.

COMMENT 357225P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-24 10:14 PM

The community center in Goleta....they service dinner to anyone that is hungry at 1:00 and could always use help!!

COMMENT 357226P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 10:25 PM

What a sad story!!!! Perhaps they had stopped because the dog needed a stop and then the little dog slipped the leash and darted onto the roadway? Who wouldn't try to rescue a loved pet! Sympathies to the families and friends....

read complete comment thread

LOUWHO? helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 10:29 PM

Noozhawk has an article. So sad http://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_barbara_news_loose_do
g_led_to_womens_deaths_of_highway_154/

COMMENT 357228P helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 10:41 PM

Doctors don't get samples of drugs once they are released in generic form. If you want samples you have to get what the drug companies are currently pushing. For me, I have found that Zomig Nasal Spray works very well, but Sumatriptan gives me chest pains. Thinking about it, not too many people out there are ready and willing to take shots or give them to themselves, so while they work the best for you, they may be stopping them for that reason. I have suffered from crippling migraines from the time I was young. Having Imitrex finally gave all of us suffering from migraines some control over over them and by extension, our lives. All of the "triptans" are just variants of Sumatriptan, so perhaps your Dr's have a newer version of the drugs that would work well for you and give you a real break on the cost. From one sufferer to another, I hope you find some help with your headaches, and will have a pleasant holiday season. Just don't go overboard on the "bubbly!" LOL ; )

COMMENT 357229P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 10:51 PM

I am not in any way trying to lessen the loss of these two women and their dog, but pulled over near the Golf Course to "relieve" themselves? They weren't that far from a proper place to "relieve" themselves. It does not make any sense what so ever, and from what I have heard and read these were two women with common sense. So sad and tragic, especially at this time of the year. May they Rest In Peace.

REXOFSB helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-24 11:09 PM

One bad thing about the U.S. health system is that things like effective over-the-counter migraine medications just aren't available. In Great Britain, where codeine products are sold over the counter without a prescription, you can buy some really great products. The Brits have something called "Migra-Leve" (sp?) specifically for migraines, You get a box with a few codeine-based pink pills and a few blue pills. At the very onset of a migraine you take (I think) the pink pill. Most of the time this is enough to vanquish the headache. But if it doesn't, you then take a blue pill--and the migraine really does go away. But since you can't buy codeine OTC in the U.S., we're out of luck.

But Britain isn't all codeine and skittles. In the U.K., you actually need a prescription to buy rubbing alcohol. Go figure.

Code Claus

2012-12-24 11:36 PM

Suspect discribed as a white male adult 5'10 350 pounds with long white hair and a beard wearing a red suit with white sash and a red hoodie. He is traveling with 9 Reindeer one with a red nose on a late model red sliegh North Pole personal license plate of SANTAC... He usually enters homes thru the Chimney..Leaves wrapped presents, takes milk and cookies is heard yelling "Ho Ho Hooooo" before he splits...Last seen cruising North County about 20 or so minutes ago per SBSO and Norad...This is Roger the Scanner Guy over and out...Have a Merry, Merry Christmas!

Police Activity

2012-12-24 11:37 PM

Sure were quiet about it..

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-24 11:43 PM

Very Sad story again it reminds me of the homeless womans death down here near Milpas..

read complete comment thread

51% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 7 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY

Send this article to a friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

[ easy-to-print version of this page ]

Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2011