Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 71.1°F | Humidity: 71% | Pressure: 30.09in (Rising) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15895 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 12/25/12

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 357382 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 11:05 PM

Thanks, Edhat staff! It's past Christmas, almost, so I'll wish you all a happy new year! And to Peter's family, I hope it's a comfort to know how much he meant — and means. And with Jazzee, cyber hugs to all.

COMMENT 357381 helpful negative off topic

Riviera Christmas

2012-12-25 09:10 PM

Thank you. Inspirational, lovely and positively religious!

COMMENT 357380P helpful negative off topic

Flor de la Noche Buena

2012-12-25 09:10 PM

Yes, to the question.

One at San Pascual St and Fremont, on the lower West side.

And another, on the west side. Modoc & Eucalyptus Ave.

COMMENT 357379 helpful negative off topic

Vintage SB Christmas

2012-12-25 09:08 PM

Thanks Neal. You're the best, the brightest and the coolest. Besides, you have a great stash of really amazing Santa Barbara memorabilia.

COMMENT 357378 helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 08:59 PM

I was the first commentator espousing public transportation. The majority of people would take a bus (or train) to their (often downtown) drinking place if they knew they would also be able to take said bus back when the bar closed.

COMMENT 357377 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:53 PM

THANK YOU! The loss of Peter is ever in our thoughts, every time I go on the site. Having known him personally, it is soo hard, thank you for going on!

COMMENT 357376 helpful negative off topic

Flor de la Noche Buena

2012-12-25 08:43 PM

When we moved into our house, the woman who lived in it before over the years planted her poinsettias which became hedges. Had to take them all out because they ended up looking all gangly. Pretty blossoms, but not so great the rest of the year.

COMMENT 357375 helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 08:19 PM

Why are there comments on these press releases? Just a forum for the usual holier-than-thou suspects to rant.

COMMENT 357374P helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 08:08 PM

LIZBETH, two thumbs up and a hearty Amen!

COMMENT 357373P helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 07:59 PM

It is Dr. Delio and he is alot less expensive than his fellow office mates. In my opinion, and in my experience any one who is not willing to take a shot for the pain, has not really experienced a true migraine. Also, for those out there who say they've had "one" mirgaine, you do not ever have just "one" migraine. The pain is unbearable, sensitivity to light and sound. Auras, dizziness, floaters in your vision. Pain so unbearable that you cannot get out from under it for even a few minutes. I used to go to the Immedicenter about twice a month before Imitrex came out and they gave shots. Three to be exact. Which is better? One shot that you control where and when it happens, or finding someone to drive you, getting there, having to convince the Dr's and nurse that you are not "drug seeking," and then receiving them? I am also going to touch on cost here. A hundred dollars for Imitrex, or $340 for each visit to the Immedicenter, which, by the way, the insurance only covered one visit a month? Just saying. It has also come to my attention that with one of the new street drugs they are spending so much money on mimic the symptoms of my migraines. Whadda ya know!

COMMENT 357372 helpful negative off topic

Monterey Bay and Avila

2012-12-25 07:55 PM

Thanks! I love to see familiar places from the air to see how it all fits together!

COMMENT 357371 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:51 PM

Thank you, Edhat staff!!!

Shots Fired

2012-12-25 07:40 PM

It's code 4 they are leaving so am I..

Shots Fired

2012-12-25 07:30 PM

Police are in the area...

Shots Fired

2012-12-25 07:24 PM

The shots came from an apartment complex. Anyone else hear these want to share?

COMMENT 357365 helpful negative off topic

Dog Fatality

2012-12-25 07:24 PM

An off leash area on a dangerous bluff....sounds like a playground in the median of highway 101......doesn't make much sense when you consider the amount of injuries and deaths which have occurred to our canine friends. Off leash areas should be SAFE for the animals not contain any hazards. I'm sure a couple well crafted letters to Mr. Douglas would solve the problem, he is a wonderful man, who would not want the animals to be in danger. Simply state the case for creating a safer place.

COMMENT 357364 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 07:09 PM

I am alone here in Baja and decided to try that lentil stew as had never had that. But I did have lentils on my shelf. I left out the chilis. and added some bicuit mix like for dumplings, for my nine yards. Also made spaghetti.

The end of the world did not come last Saturday, and I found that being alone here was not the end of my world either. Just a quiet peaceful day, thanking God for what I do have, instead of lamenting what I have lost.

My five pups enjoyed the leftovers. Feliz Navidad from a Gringa in Baja.

COMMENT 357363 helpful negative off topic

Vintage SB Christmas

2012-12-25 06:55 PM

Thanks Neal. Very cool

read complete comment thread

LIZBETH helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 06:44 PM

Every little thing they do wrong? Drunk driving should be charged as attempted murder.

read complete comment thread

LIMES helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 06:36 PM

Thank you Everyone Edhat. Wishing all a rewarding new year!

COMMENT 357360P helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 06:34 PM

Oh please, 358p. Just because 23 doesn't have a plan, it's not a valid need??? Have you EVER had to rely on public transportation as your only option? Sure this isn't really the right thread for this, but it's incredibly naive to say that our public transportation system is anywhere even near adequate. We spend such a crazy amount of money on nitpicking for small violations, its absolutely insane. Instead of helping people, we're focused on catching every little thing wrong that they do...that's simply NOT a way to further society when it comes at the cost of cutting funding for other, more helpful programs.

CHERIDIANE helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 06:17 PM

Merry Christmas to you dedicated Edhat staff. Thank you for seamlessly continuing with your work, as I understand Peter would want....offering us all this quirky-informative site full of SB goings-on.

COMMENT 357358P helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 06:15 PM

23, thanks for the cheery sentiment. Care to offer a constructive plan? Because someone needs to come to the rescue of the bloody people when they get in their accidents, and that costs money.

CHERIDIANE helpful negative off topic

Vintage SB Christmas

2012-12-25 06:09 PM

Oooo fun and lovely. Thank you, Neal Graffy.

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-25 05:45 PM

I just made the best lentil soup in the world yummy yum yum!

read complete comment thread

LILAC helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 05:28 PM

My friend, who has suffered for many years with horrid migraines, has stopped eating anything with GMOs, especially gluten, canola oil and corn and no more migraines. Try and get a copy of a documentary called Genetic Roulette. An eye opener! There is also a book "The migraine brain". Amazon.

COMMENT 357354 helpful negative off topic

Katy Perry brings John Mayer home t...

2012-12-25 05:24 PM

Katy is WELCOME back to SB anytime...Hopefully locals respect her privacy when she visits.

COMMENT 357353 helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 04:33 PM

25 years ago I worked at SYR, then the Biltmore and the El Encanto for a decade. All have gone through major renovations, but nothing like the Miramar. It's gone.

COMMENT 357352 helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 04:21 PM

time to do a silent writ for beach access>its been going on for years right thru the property.

COMMENT 357351P helpful negative off topic

Riviera Christmas

2012-12-25 04:18 PM

Yes, exceptional photo. Thank you for posting it and reminding us of the blessings here.

COMMENT 357350 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 04:13 PM

The Freedom Warming Centers coordinated through the SB Unitarian Society need volunteers throughout the chilly season

Vegetation Fire

2012-12-25 04:12 PM

Sounds like they are unable to locate there were alot of reporting parties so I bet there was a fire and someone put it out. Just about everynigfht in the Santa Barbara area there are warming fires..One can burn all kinds of things in the rain. I was noticing the other night between the back fence and the freeway in a very small space like 20 feet by 10 feet at least 5 camp sites..That confirms to me besides listening to the scanner hearing all the illegal camper calls there is more that 5,000 homeless in the area. They said all the fire calls came in at the same time but now there is no fire? Or they are unable to locate. I will keep you all posted..

COMMENT 357348P helpful negative off topic

Vegetation Fire

2012-12-25 04:06 PM

Seriously folks, what's going to burn after all that rain? Is the intensity of some of the comments telling everyone there is a fire going to create an environment that reflects calm, cool and collected emotions (comments)?

read complete comment thread

MACPUZL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 04:05 PM

Best wishes for the Holidays and the New Year!

Vegetation Fire

2012-12-25 04:02 PM

Numerous reporting parties..El Capatan, near Call Box 422, Vista Point Fire aien't there yet ..

2012-12-25 03:59 PM

The teeny tiny 2 aa batteries ones?

Vegetation Fire

2012-12-25 03:56 PM

Conflicting reports of fire near Reefgo also..Full Fire Response.

COMMENT 357343P helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 03:56 PM

Well. The old timey look and feel are gone. R.I.P. hotel where my mom waitressed in the 50s, where I got swimming lessons, where my High School held its reunion, where my family and I ate so many fun meals.

So long to quaint bicycle-delivery meals and end-of-an-era gentlemen like Grover Barnes. And Jacques, the character of all characters. Adieu.

OLDMAN83 helpful negative off topic

Comedy Hideaway -NEW YEARS SPECIAL ...

2012-12-25 03:48 PM

Where are they located? Did I miss something?

COMMENT 357341P helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 03:46 PM

Ralph's on Carrillo is open until 7pm. I called and checked.

EMUWREN1 helpful negative off topic

Riviera Christmas

2012-12-25 03:43 PM

This has to be one of the most beautiful photos of Santa Barbara I have ever seen. What a nice Christmas (and Hanukkah and Kwanza) gift to share with all of us. Thank you. Love this.

COMMENT 357339P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Traditions

2012-12-25 03:42 PM

Being Italian and Catholic until I was Confirmed. I Then left the church. I went to one class by Father Virgil Cordano ( What a beautiful man he was) which was titled "For Catholics who have been offended by the church".(I had been offended by a sign in the back of the church which read Pew Rentals 10 cents) Meanwhile the priest would drive a new Cadillac each year while I had to beg for theater admittance if I wanted to see a show. I now refuse to permit organized religion to interfere with my personal relationship with God or Jesus whom I love dearly. I recall many Italian families getting together Christmas and New Years Eve and eating the traditional 7 different types of fishes and then falling asleep in a pile on whomever's bed we were visiting.
Many fond memories

LOUWHO? helpful negative off topic

Vintage SB Christmas

2012-12-25 03:20 PM

Wow!! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!!

COMMENT 357337 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 03:19 PM

How do people get up in the morning??

COMMENT 357336 helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 03:02 PM

It's a way of life here. California Hotel. Cabrillo Hotel. Miramar.

Suspicious Circumstances

2012-12-25 02:48 PM

There was a theft of packages but it occured before 2pm so several units are clearing the area. At least there is somewhat of a discription. Watch your homes and your neighbors homes..

Suspicious Circumstances

2012-12-25 02:42 PM

Wearing a red shirt and leather jacket riding on a bicycle. Sounded like they said he was riding on the back of a bicycle? SBPD in area checking...

COMMENT 357333P helpful negative off topic

Flor de la Noche Buena

2012-12-25 02:39 PM

Only ever knew tall Poinsettias, before they were reduced to pot plant size for commercial use.

COMMENT 357332P helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 02:31 PM

What amazes me is the millions and millions in revenue that was lost by not keeping the hotel in operation until it was ready to be torn down. Hard to believe the fiscal waste.

COMMENT 357331 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 02:26 PM

Vons, I think all of the stores are open today, but only a short day.

COMMENT 357330 helpful negative off topic

Christina Alexandra Djernaes

2012-12-25 02:26 PM

Christina was a wonderful mother and her deep love for her two children was so evident in everything she did. I will miss her smiling face and brave, cheerful optimism. My heartfelt sympathies to her entire family at this very difficult time. I hope her children will one day skate in the ice center she envisioned and worked for.

COMMENT 357329 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 02:24 PM

CVS is usually open on Christmas day too.

COMMENT 357328 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 02:20 PM

There are some goats over on Puesta del Sol...........

COMMENT 357327 helpful negative off topic

Dog Fatality

2012-12-25 02:20 PM

The handler error comment(s) are extremely cruel and cold. It's appalling to me that people can be so cruel when they know that the grieving are reading such hurtful, biting criticism. No, this is NOT the time and place. Amazing to me that people can exhibit such callous disregard. My sympathies to all of those involved in the loss of this beloved pet.

COMMENT 357326 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 02:19 PM

A little Uniden 800Mhz. He is going to help me set it up.

COMMENT 357325 helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-25 02:13 PM

Outdoor winter/Christmas rink(s) sound great. A better chance of survival.
Serious hockey people move to where Hockey is.

read complete comment thread

CLAWMARKS helpful negative off topic

The Goleta ice rink project has bee...

2012-12-25 02:06 PM

Seriously...we live nearby and have thought that this is one of the stupidest ideas ever. Take it as a hint that after 10 years you can't raise the money! How about an aquatics center like Ventura has? or a multi-activity center with space for things like karate/dance/wall climbing/etc.?? How about a Sky High? Goleta is seriously lacking in activity centers for both kids and adults. I think the ice rink idea is ridiculous. And talk about a horrible carbon footprint...think of the cost to keep that iced up!! I'm doubting they're going to be using solar power for that. Oh, and for the record...the $750k is just to break ground...the total cost is $8 MILLION!!!! Not joking!!!!

COMMENT 357323 helpful negative off topic

DUI Arrest Update

2012-12-25 01:53 PM

I wish they'd also work to improve public transportation to 24/7 service like other civilized communities. But I guess there's just too much money to be made off all the blood on the highway.

COMMENT 357322 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 01:53 PM

A Bright and Cheery Happy Holidays to everyone out there in Edhat land!

COMMENT 357321 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 01:51 PM

Don't overlook 7-11s and Liquor Stores - they never close and often carry milk.

COMMENT 357320 helpful negative off topic

Open Grocery Stores

2012-12-25 01:47 PM

vons in la cumbre

COMMENT 357319P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Traditions

2012-12-25 01:38 PM

hah--'heathen from birth'--actually that's me but from 2nd grade!

COMMENT 357317P helpful negative off topic

Monterey Bay and Avila

2012-12-25 01:31 PM

is that landing strip above Cachagua? neat area.

COMMENT 357316 helpful negative off topic

Monterey Bay and Avila

2012-12-25 01:30 PM

R to L, that's Avila (San Luis Bay) Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach and Oceano in the 'Avila' shot. Amazing what 5" of rain at the right time of year can do.

Local developer wants to add 1500 homes , G.C., winery, hotels, etc in narrow Price Canyon area, along the RR tracks and on steep hillsides above, directly inland of Pismo Beach. So may not stay this way for long.

Alan Road Structure Fure

2012-12-25 01:28 PM

He muct have let a good one go climbing up that chimney after pounding all the milk and cookies!

COMMENT 357313P helpful negative off topic

Monterey Bay and Avila

2012-12-25 01:19 PM

wow-- that's some bucks, to own a whole mountain top!

COMMENT 357312P helpful negative off topic

Flor de la Noche Buena

2012-12-25 01:18 PM

Poinsettias do remarkably well along the coastal zone when planted in a sunny location against a warm wall. They do get very bushy and tall--you can do some midsummer pruning to get them to branch out a bit shorter (and have more 'blooms'). Have never seen any but the red ones. Would be fun to try with a Jingle Bells or Monet!

COMMENT 357311P helpful negative off topic

Alan Road Structure Fure

2012-12-25 12:42 PM

Lots of smoke from the fireplace. Luckily, the fire was contained to where it was suppose to be. Santa's involvement in this incident is still under investigation.

COMMENT 357310 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 12:39 PM

Merry Christmas to the dedicated staff, all the edheads, edhatters & the wonderful people in edhatland. Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year! -Urban Hikers

read complete comment thread

JAZZEE helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 12:18 PM

Cyber hugs to everyone.

COMMENT 357308 helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-25 12:05 PM

Roger i thought the same thing. Such an intense scene.

COMMENT 357307P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dog

2012-12-25 12:03 PM

Yes, thanks to residents of the Garden St. home for continuing the doggie tradition. Love it, look forward to seeing the various displays.

COMMENT 357306P helpful negative off topic

Katy Perry brings John Mayer home t...

2012-12-25 12:00 PM

Good for Katy and good for Santa Barbara. Thank you, Katy for remembering those in pain during these special days.

COMMENT 357304 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 11:49 AM

Merry, Merry Christmas to all the Ed hatters. Thank you so much for what you do. I will never forget Peter.

P.S. Merry Christmas to Rodger too!

2012-12-25 11:41 AM

What kind of scanner did he get you?

read complete comment thread

POWDRELL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 11:37 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the staff at Edhat. You're the best!!

COMMENT 357301 helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 11:36 AM

The former Miramar Hotel blight is being removed before our eyes. I can't think of a more beautiful way to clean up that stretch of beach than the removal of these decrepit structures.

Photo shows more cottages still need demolishing. Let's hope Mr. Caruso isn't stalling on complete removal because he's angling with the County about the occupancy tax forgiveness deal.

Full speed ahead on demolition!

COMMENT 357300 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dog

2012-12-25 11:31 AM

Yup, the statue of the large dog on the lawn of that Garden Street historic home is towing Santa and his sled this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Whatever happened to the live animals that in years past populated the manger scene at the Old Mission?

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-25 11:22 AM

That damn mouse! One of these days I'll get that little booger..I don't think the Zapper works anymore..He did something to it that little bass turd! I cleaned it out everything he screwed it up! Damn Mouse.. Thanks IMABOO Enjoying the microwave..Thank You very much! This hoodie is very comfortable to bust into cars with it's got inside pockets, thanks SHAKEY..

Police Activity

2012-12-25 11:04 AM

The calls must have been tangled with anutter cause first I heard guy with a gun then I hear guy with a weight belt? I thought that was it who nose?

COMMENT 357297 helpful negative off topic

Monterey Bay and Avila

2012-12-25 11:04 AM

Makes me proud to live there! Great photos :)

COMMENT 357296 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-25 11:03 AM

Merry Christmas Roger. Enjoy the microwave :-)

COMMENT 357295 helpful negative off topic

Apocalyptic Video Journal

2012-12-25 11:02 AM

LOUWHO - Thank you very much for the comment and for saying that. The canal comes from Mission Creek and runs under Rusty's and State St near the corner of State and Cabrillo. Thank you for watching :)

880 - Thank you so much. I figured there were enough people trying to spin the whole 12/21 thing as a negative or apocalyptic event, so there should at least be one video that made it into a positive. You can see all of my videos on my channel YouTube.com/CreatedinSB :)

FLICKA - Thank you as always for your support. There were quite a few people who were legitimately worried about it. If you study what the Mayans actually said, and not the inaccurate western translation, they never said it would be the end of the world, but simply the beginning of a new cycle. Even if it was the end, I'd want to go out on a high note :)

900 - Thank you :)

SBANDTO - It was a beautiful day just like any other here in SB. I love filming, so I always have my camera with me. I want to encourage people with my videos to get out and enjoy our beautiful city and be a part of the community. We are so lucky to live here.

953 - Thank you! Yeah, I don't worry about the haters. As the quote says, "Haters gonna hate" That's just what they do. I find that when someone is adverse to a message, it usually means it's important for them to hear.

AUNTIE S - Thank you for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You are very welcome.

YIN YANG - I love Castaneda. Thank you very much for your support. Thinking in this way has really had a big impact on my life, it's helped me let go of any fear or worry about what others may think and made me realize that I don't need to be better than anyone else, just better than I used to be :)

COMMENT 357294P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 10:51 AM

...maybe each family memeber write down on a piece of paper what skills they have, a chore they could do, then take it a church or community service mission next week, and present it as a pledge as a family, to do something in 2013 for a senior or disabled person in need.

"Walk dog" "Wash Windows"
"Rake leaves"
"Read a book to"
"Run errands for"
"Carpentry tasks"
"Wash or repair car"
"Prepare home cooked meal"

etc.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 10:42 AM

Some great outside-the-box suggestions here. Getting involved in something year round, or with another season's volunteer needs would be a good learning tool for a family. We all really would benefit from more community involvement. Retried Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP) and People Helping People are a good spot for finding year round needs. They can always use some "younger blood' as well as seniors for their fundraisers. Caring Callers is another program for calling/checking on shut-ins, year round. Also, Meals On Wheels generally need relief drivers. RSVP is a clearing house for volunteers, they have a good handle on needs.

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 10:39 AM

We mix it up every year, a different kind of roast meat with all the fixings, but one dish we seem to always have is celery root salad. Leftovers are great as a sandwich garnish.

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Traditions

2012-12-25 10:32 AM

Whether out of town family are here or not, we usually go out for dinner on Christmas Eve. Last night it was Olio Pizzeria--great pizza! Then we go to the Mission and pet the animals. Occasionally stop in to a late mass either at the Mission or Our Lady of Sorrows, just stand in the back for a while. One ex-Catholic in the family, the rest heathen from birth.

COMMENT 357290 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 10:32 AM

We miss Peter, such a terrible loss. You must be grieving horribly. Best wishes on Christmas.

COMMENT 357289 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 10:27 AM

So sorry to hear about your migraines. A dear friend was able to figure out that her migraine trigger was Splenda. She switched to stevia & honey, and presto, headaches gone. Not sure if you consume any artificial sweeteners, but they are a common migraine trigger. MSG, sodium benzoate and sulfites are other culprits. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas!

COMMENT 357288P helpful negative off topic

Miramar Demo Update

2012-12-25 10:17 AM

No image

SHARON93111 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 10:13 AM

Merry Christmas to all the staff and the people who make this the most informed & sometimes funny, site. Bless all of you and may 2013 be the luckiest & best year ever!!!

read complete comment thread

KDEF helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 10:04 AM

Thank you dedicated staff for your Christmas wishs and for continuing Peter's work. I wish Edhat a prosperous New Year.

COMMENT 357285 helpful negative off topic

Dog Fatality

2012-12-25 10:04 AM

Unfortunate accident, to be sure. But fencing in the world to protect us and our pets from danger is not the right answer. A little forethought about risks that abound in any environment that we encounter is the answer to the problem.

COMMENT 357284 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:54 AM

Ha ha my husband got me a scanner.

COMMENT 357283 helpful negative off topic

The Gifts of Christmas

2012-12-25 09:54 AM

Beautiful! Thank you.

COMMENT 357282 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:54 AM

Merry Christmas, Roger and also to Belinda! And to Pooh Bear and Joey Canoli, Fleas Navidad!!

read complete comment thread

MIELEMAI helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:52 AM

MTNDRIVER said it best. Thank you, Edhat staff, for keeping our wonderful online community going during a very bittersweet time. I hope you and everyone who is reading this has a very merry day and a happy New Year.

COMMENT 357280P helpful negative off topic

Traffic Accident

2012-12-25 09:45 AM

869P: Merry Christmas to you and that new piece of your heart! What a gift for da botta yas! Glad you all arrived home safe.

read complete comment thread

THE BARRON helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:43 AM

Merry Christmas to the EdHat staff and also to the loyal EdHat posters & readers.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:36 AM

Merry HoHo I just updated my sub thanks to your reminder.

My guesses are Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, French, German, Greek, Hawaiian, and Korean.

COMMENT 357277 helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-25 09:35 AM

To answer the question about how is it known that the women pulled over to relieve themselves, I'm going to guess that there was evidence of this--clothing in disarray, evidence by the road... What better place than to pullover at a dark spot by the road where no one would see them, right? Sometimes when nature calls, it's hard to ignore... So sad this accident happened right before Christmas.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:33 AM

Had me wonderin whether I should go to Oso Flaco by myself this morning!! I thought to myself Sheesh, that's not a lot of detail in that header! Cripes! whats's the crime?? then....lol.

Merry Christmas to that dispatcher, too!

Hope all are well and snug at your home Roger, thanks to you for all your service to the community through edhat!

COMMENT 357275P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:30 AM

Merry Christmas to everyone in Edhat land!

LOUWHO? helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:29 AM

Sorry for the ??? marks. They were Santa emoji's but the website could not read them and turned them into question marks. YOU ARE A GIFT - no question about it!!!

SBSURFERLIFE helpful negative off topic

Greek?
No clue on this one
Korean
English

LOUWHO? helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:27 AM

Merry Christmas Roger!!! YOU are a gift to all!! ??????????

SBSURFERLIFE helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:24 AM

Ohhhh you guys are referencing the daily newsletter. I was confused for a minute:

read complete comment thread

DANCING SHADOW helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 09:20 AM

A plant strong diet...salt, oil and sugar free vegan... totally cured my migraines (suffered for 45 years) check out Forks Over Knives. Good luck

COMMENT 357269 helpful negative off topic

The Gifts of Christmas

2012-12-25 09:15 AM

Beautiful!! Merry Christmas and Godbless you and 2013!

read complete comment thread

POTPOURRI helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 09:11 AM

My children complained about my frozen Arctic Salad every Thanksgiving and Christmas when they were growing up. I didn't make it for Thanksgiving a few years ago and they were disappointed and demanded I make "the pink stuff" for Christmas. It is ironic that as my husband and I get older and cut back our activities our "little rebels," who are in their 30's, are requesting we continue the old traditions.

COMMENT 357267 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:11 AM

Roger, bless your heart for keeping us updated all year as to what goes on in our area. And thank you for your wonderful sense of humor. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a terrific New Year. God Bless.

COMMENT 357266 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 09:06 AM

Now that's funny -need to buy a scanner for next year!

COMMENT 357265 helpful negative off topic

Police Activity

2012-12-25 09:06 AM

I wonder if it was the same guy that caused a scene on Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago?????

COMMENT 357264 helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-25 09:01 AM

The Palace has some really cool paintings on the windows!

COMMENT 357263 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Eve Traditions

2012-12-25 09:00 AM

Sportsman!

COMMENT 357262 helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 08:58 AM

Migraines SUCK

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:58 AM

Merry Christmas to you Edhatters and thank you for all you do. It must be a bittersweet time with Peter's loss so present, hope there are many smiles with the tears.

I made similar guesses to Jojoflys except I thought the third one might be Danish and I'm sure the sixth is Greek, and the Asian one I thought might be Korean.

COMMENT 357260P helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 08:55 AM

Used Imitrex for. Years - switched to a generic on recommendation of my insurance! Generic wioks OK i admit it can sometimes take a larger dose to work - not always - and the label even comes with instructions to take more iafter an hour if it hasn't completely worked ( so it must be official: imitrex is stronger. But in a ponch you will find this a solution. Don't know if it's injectable- ask?1

COMMENT 357259 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-25 08:54 AM

I know you don't want to kill the mice roger but you can get rodent bait that is grain spiked with vitamin D that makes them sluggish and either die or get caught by a predator more easily but the larger animal isn't affected at those concentrations do it's safe for Pooh and the neighborhood kitties and birds or dogs or skunks or whatever that may eat the slow mice. Otherwise I recommend the zappers with a bit of peanut butter bait. In any event, thank you for doing a great and entertaining job Roger. Happy crimble, and joyful new year!

COMMENT 357258 helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-25 08:44 AM

Seems the story IS that the women pilled over to relieve ghemselves - several reports have included this detail now. I don't understand how anyone can know this detail! Were there witnesses to them doing that? Does not seem likely on a dark road surely? I wonder if it's supposition. It DOES make sense: they stop, exit car, dog escapes, they folow... They died trying to rescue their beloved dog. This is so sad. RIP Barbara and Sara

COMMENT 357257 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:42 AM

This was an actual broadcast of the scanner about 11:30 last night from the SBSO

COMMENT 357256 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:33 AM

A white guy with grey hair robbed a bank on State Street a couple of days ago- when I read this description of a guy with white hair I thought there was a connection. ... for a second! DOH! FELIZ NAVIDAD cha cha cha

COMMENT 357255 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 08:32 AM

Speaking of Jackets and coats, Trudi Carey of Patterson Storage is collecting coats to give to the cold, this is her second year and Ablott's cleans them for free. Just drop off your not longer enjoyed coats and they take it from there, what a great thing!

COMMENT 357254 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 08:28 AM

Merry Christmas to you!

My guess:
Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, French, German, Russian, Hawaiian, Chinese, English

COMMENT 357253 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 08:27 AM

How about waiting until after the holiday, when others dont think of volunteering. There is a huge need for volunteers all year, not just on Christmas. My husband works in the industry, and says they are swamped for Christmas and Thanksgiving...but need so much help at other times.....how about waiting until you are really needed.

Or rounding up your old jackets and blankets, and driving around giving them to those who look cold. You could definitely make a difference that way today.

read complete comment thread

UPONTHEHILL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:58 AM

Thanks for the chuckle Roger!---Have a Merry Christmas!

COMMENT 357251 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:52 AM

Hope you and Poohbear are nice and warm today. Merry Christmas Roger.

COMMENT 357250 helpful negative off topic

Xmas Window Shopping

2012-12-25 07:46 AM

I very much like the dark tones and high contrast of your images--they convey the festive mood of a night before Christmas.

COMMENT 357249P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 07:41 AM

My family when I was growing up did ham. Now we do fondue on Christmas Eve (we did cheese fondue for lunch and beef in oil for dinner). Decorated Christmas cookies for dessert. Christmas dinner is jeweled rice, a Persian recipe. None of us happens to be Persian; it just tastes great, and takes long enough to fix that it requires a holiday. Christmas morning is coffee cake and an egg and bread casserole.

COMMENT 357248P helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-25 07:35 AM

Flicka, the Noozhawk story says the women pulled over to relieve themselves and then the dog jumped out.

COMMENT 357247 helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 07:30 AM

I dont think the one comment should be deleted..I loved the warm stories , but unfortuantly this is a reality that I have seen also...we cant hide it or hide from it...

2012-12-25 07:13 AM

They had me for a second, Merry Christmas!

read complete comment thread

SBARTS helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:13 AM

U got me Roger! Merry Christmas!

read complete comment thread

YIN YANG helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:08 AM

Merry Christmas to all!

COMMENT 357243 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 07:03 AM

Has anyone seen my Grandma?

COMMENT 357242P helpful negative off topic

Christmas Volunteers

2012-12-25 06:59 AM

Come to my house and cook dinner, do dishes, deal with family while I go to bed with a good book and a glass of wine? No, okay then. :-)

Seriously, hope you find a rewarding way to help some folks - good for you and others like you.

COMMENT 357241 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 06:56 AM

Merry Xmas Roger. All the best to you.

read complete comment thread

LALALALA helpful negative off topic

Christmas Dining Traditions

2012-12-25 06:55 AM

Slovak Christmas Eve Dinner-Sauerkraut with pork ribs, Polish sausage and potatoes. But the BUCHTI is what we covet the most, small (1" TO 1-1/2") yeasted rolls coated in sweetened Poppy seed, honey and hot milk. OH YEAH!!

Scanner Reports 12-24-12

2012-12-25 06:50 AM

Merry Christmas 213P@

read complete comment thread

ANDY helpful negative off topic

Migraine Medication

2012-12-25 06:41 AM

Imitrix in pill form? Will that work for you? Dr DiLeo (805 682 8153) really helped me with Migraines. He is a young very bright wonderful doctor. Really patient friendly.

read complete comment thread

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Highway 154 Fatalities Identified

2012-12-25 06:27 AM

I don't see here anywhere here suggesting the women stopped to "relieve themselves" (where did that come from?). Seems more likely the dog had to stop. RIP to these ladies, condolences to their families.

COMMENT 357235P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 05:31 AM

You had me for a minute! Merry Christmas, Roger!

COMMENT 357234 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-25 12:14 AM

Merry Christmas !!

read complete comment thread

55% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 3 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY