Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 67.6°F | Humidity: 70% | Pressure: 29.88in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 1.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15490 Subscribers
      700 Paid (4.5%)
     157 Commenters
     94461 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 12/08/12

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

MACPUZL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 11:53 PM

Thanks for your stories, photos, and information. You're definitely an Edhat community asset.

We all should appreciate each day, and do something fun or rewarding that we've been putting off, because you never know what's next on the script.

COMMENT 351837P helpful negative off topic

Nojoqui Falls

2012-12-08 11:23 PM

I am so glad that you and others enjoy places like that. I went up there once, well, to be honest I was on a "date" and wanted to impress, so I allowed myself to be dragged up there and there wax very little water, too many insects, and too much "nature" for me. At least with your photos I can see what I am not missing from the comfort of my own home, from my favorite chair, sipping a hot, flavored latte, with minimal insect interaction. LOL! I think that edhat subscribers could be more accurately be described as photo masters!

COMMENT 351836P helpful negative off topic

Fall Color

2012-12-08 10:31 PM

Great photo.

NATURE BOY helpful negative off topic

Ice Cream Lovers Unite

2012-12-08 10:23 PM

Bummer for "Here's The Scoop", a great ice cream store in Montecito on the same street!

COMMENT 351834P helpful negative off topic

Ice Cream Lovers Unite

2012-12-08 10:21 PM

Hey, the prices can't be as bad as the highly overrated McConnell's.

LOURAY helpful negative off topic

Creative Holiday Window Displays

2012-12-08 10:09 PM

Ott's had a wonderful display, as did many stores in SF, which isn't that far away. Many of us got to see both.

We kids couldn't go into a big store until we had stood on the sidewalk for yet another instructional session with Mom: "Hands clasped behind your back, tightly, so the salespeople can tell you're not breaking anything!"

Some years later I could hear my mom as I prepped my own small one for a store visit.

COMMENT 351832P helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 10:05 PM

You should see the pics of the other 3 guys. OMG.

COMMENT 351831P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:56 PM

So Glad to hear your story.I learned so much!

COMMENT 351830P helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 09:38 PM

WTF? Rachel Rachel, if you are worried about the end, I'm happy to help. For a a few thousand, I am happy to buy anything that you won't need in the end. So my girl don't you worry, help is on the way.

LOURAY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:30 PM

What a radiant smile!
I'm happy to have a face to go with the name.
May you be with us for many, many more anniversaries.

Gas Leak

2012-12-08 09:18 PM

I have not heard anymore about this but it's listed on County Fires Twitter..

Scanner Reports 12-7-12

2012-12-08 09:09 PM

Same thing.

Gas Leak

2012-12-08 09:08 PM

Witness reported looking in window and seeing people down on the floor of the apartment. I haven't heard anymore about that.

COMMENT 351825P helpful negative off topic

Nojoqui Falls

2012-12-08 08:57 PM

... yes, very nice - made me wish I was there instead of shopping today. Thanks for the pics

D8VANILLA helpful negative off topic

Ice Cream Lovers Unite

2012-12-08 08:50 PM

Are the prices gonna knock my socks off too??!!

COMMENT 351823P helpful negative off topic

Driving to SB

2012-12-08 08:48 PM

Yup rice fields, is that the causeway between Sac and Davis?

COMMENT 351822P helpful negative off topic

Ethiopian Food

2012-12-08 08:44 PM

does anyone have updated info on the rumored restaurant??

read complete comment thread

FIRST DISTRICT helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:37 PM

There is no such thing as a woman who has every thing.

While I appreciate the ideas and suggestions I believe that others might THINK another has every thing.

First off one needs to genuinely KNOW the person and then fill in what might be important. . .

My mother really disliked spending money on flowers because of the times during which she was raised. One needed to be creative in thinking of gift ideas for her.

My children really try to come up with great ideas and the clever ones are gifts which my spouse and I would just about never supply for ourselves like a night's lodging at a bed and breakfast and a whale watching trip.

But I believe that people who have suggested giving time to another are right. We are so often too rushed to hesitate. When I think of the people I've known who stood out they are the ones who hesitated a bit for others. . .

COMMENT 351820P helpful negative off topic

Nojoqui Falls

2012-12-08 08:27 PM

very nice - thank you. looks refreshing.

COMMENT 351819 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:23 PM

Last time I went to E Bar we sat done for maybe five minutes and there were mice running all around under people's tables. It was the sickest thing I've seen in a restaurant. I will never go there again!!!!!

COMMENT 351818P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:22 PM

Loss of local features and jobs is too bad - but loss of her abuse of employees is not too bad.

COMMENT 351817P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:16 PM

Hope it's true in relation to N. Crawford-Hall, but not for her employees...
Maybe Obama's reelection really did get to her - but it's more likely that she spent so many multi-thousands on Pappas, his campaigns and ridiculous, futile court appeals that she decided to cut back on her spending.

COMMENT 351816P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:12 PM

Dirty Harry in the deleted comments - you need a little background about the highly volatile, irrational, far right wing owner...who has no background in journalism but a lot of background in $.

242 Assault

2012-12-08 08:11 PM

How do you know the address is section 8 or are you just assuming section 8 people are the only people that cause trouble?

COMMENT 351814P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:08 PM

I used to eat there in the 90s but it has just gotten worse and worse. Once I had termite/wood droppings fall in my cocktail from the ceiling....

COMMENT 351813P helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 08:06 PM

Time to fix the hardware...and the lock on the door to the dressing room, too!

COMMENT 351812P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:45 PM

Finally a face to put with the name. My mother sufffered a stroke on Thanksgiving and managed to hide it from all of us. Once we figured it out we took her for care. She lost vision one eye and was very wobbling for the rest of ber life, which I spent taking care of her. The Dr 's said that she was having tias but she refused to acknowledge them. It is hard to see loved ones, and for that matter any one suffer like that. Good to be reminded of the symptoms, especially in women because we tent to write things off.

COMMENT 351811P helpful negative off topic

Fall Color

2012-12-08 07:45 PM

Fantastic picture! I love the lake!

COMMENT 351810 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:44 PM

I love Cliff! Thanks for sharing!

COMMENT 351809 helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 07:43 PM

Are there hot girls in this theoretical scenario?

COMMENT 351808 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:39 PM

Get well soon. Observation: A lot of 'fit' people get strokes. havent seen a whale-o hit the floor in years.

COMMENT 351807 helpful negative off topic

Acorn Questions

2012-12-08 07:34 PM

Quit running over the squirrels with your mondomulcher and you would not have an acorn problem.

COMMENT 351806 helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 07:31 PM

30k - of course things are worth 30k in Lompoc. You can own a lifetime membership at Walmart for 30k. You can have your pick of any number of 55 year old mobile homes (sorry, no double wides) in at least 4 different parks. You could steal fourteen 1996 Honda Civics. Dream big young person!

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:18 PM

I tried to vote for one of these as picture of the day, but they weren't there; however a lot of bizarre restaurant/party pix were. What gives, ed?

COMMENT 351804 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:18 PM

This is all such helpful information, and seems especially timely since several acquaintances of mine have had strokes recently. One question: I'm in Goleta and wonder, is Cottage Hospital ER preferable to Goleta Valley?

COMMENT 351803 helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 07:17 PM

The end of the world as we know it. There would be survivors in the human and animal sectors, then the battle to survive would begin.

COMMENT 351802P helpful negative off topic

Edhat Travels

2012-12-08 07:11 PM

Ole!

COMMENT 351801P helpful negative off topic

With seasonal rains promoting the g...

2012-12-08 07:03 PM

Because they "taste like chicken."

COMMENT 351800P helpful negative off topic

Acorn Questions

2012-12-08 06:59 PM

For anyone who has a choice in the future, I'd try to avoid planting lawn under an oak tree (or planting an oak on a lawn). I moved in a house with an oak in the middle of the yard. It makes mowing a hassle because the acorns lodge themselves immediately within the grass (and yet can also get kicked out by the mower as 87 says), and because the oak normally would get no water most of the year, but the lawn needs it all the time, so consequently the oak ends up growing like an arboreal monster.

read complete comment thread

ECHO helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:58 PM

My Mother had a stroke in 1994, it was due to a ruptured brain aneurysm. She was actually off blood pressure meds at the time, when she should have been on them. I was 16 at the time, and found her in a coma. Not sure she had the clotbuster meds, or what the treatment plan was. She did have to have surgery obviously once they determined it was a brain aneurysm. She has two sisters that also had brain aneurysm, one of them has had surgery, and she developed new ones years later. My family was a part of a study for UCSF to see if brain aneurysms were hereditary. My step father had a stroke, and was found much in the same position as the original poster. The clot busters were what saved him from any lingering effects of his stroke. I'm glad to see that you have recovered, and the warning signs are brought to the forefront. Timing is everything.

COMMENT 351797 helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 06:51 PM

Wow edhat is getting into deep waters with this question.
Let's just stare into the sunset....
Pictures.

COMMENT 351796 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-7-12

2012-12-08 06:51 PM

thats called projectile vomit Roger.

COMMENT 351795 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:48 PM

A basket with all the foods she loves...mine loves licorice, non pariels,artichokes,cheese,rootbeer, more chocolate, outback gift card, coffee, etc. People if you had a clue each and every one of us would know exactly what to get. Everyone is different, how the heck is a perfect stranger gonna know your ma?

COMMENT 351794 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:43 PM

Another extremely promising therapy in the recovery from strokes has been hyperbaric oxygen therapy. There are a few clinics in SB County and Ventura County providing this for patients. After my father's stroke left him unable to do any normal functioning (eating, personal hygiene, etc), he had approx. 20-30 sessions at Dr. Whittaker's clinic in Orange County and at the end of his time there, he was walking normally, and doing all of the things he could before the stroke, within just a couple of weeks. He could even do his things on the computer again! This was a miracle, but apparantly it is getting more common, so I encourage you to check it out, even if your doctor is negative about it, they are not convinced, but I sure am, glad to have gotten my dad back!

COMMENT 351793P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:35 PM

Take her out to The Rack at The Music Academy of the West at the old Jefferson Estate 1010 Fairway Road. I happened to visit The Rack today and was quite surprised at the color and quality of all the women's clothing and accessories they had. Colorful stuff. Some high-end luxury. Some unworn. Note that The Rack's donated stock is 90% used. The Rack is like a rummage store. It is an interesting "New Montecito Tourist" experience to wander and poke around and look at such an unusual quality and variety in one 1930's hidden-away cottage. Perhaps take your purchases to California Cleaners on East Canon Perdido just west of Milpas on your way home? A First Class place, it is owned and operated by a cheerful Mr. Lewis who is a genius in transforming Your Cherished Rummage into New Gift Quality. Any questions, stop there in his Green Zone. :-) This is a careful thought for The Woman Who Has Everything. :-)

read complete comment thread

SHOREBIRD helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 06:30 PM

Dysmorphic facial features are sometimes linked with learning disabilities. Doctors have a shortcut term that is used when they suspect this. They call it an FLK. (Funny looking kid).

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:26 PM

A gift of your time to do some things around the house she can't do for herself - handyman type stuff. OR anoher gift of your time - a day with her - breakfast out,a walk on the beach, a drive to the valley - nice lunch and afternoon.

COMMENT 351790P helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 06:14 PM

Please...just make it stop. The apocalypse, of course. What did you think I meant?

COMMENT 351789P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:12 PM

@747 We imprisoned AMERICANS of Japanese Descent including a 14 year old girl raised by a caucasian family and a professor of English literature from Berkeley. Many of the Japanese citizens, including my grandparents wanted to become citizens but were prevented from doing so by US law. Oh, then they drafted men right out of the camps. My grandmother who had her arm ripped open in a wringer washer was refused treatment at several hospitals. Despite this, my father and all of his brothers proudly served in the US military including the 442. My father refused to by a Japanese car until about 1980.

@741 I am proud that the JACL wrote a letter protesting mistreatment of Arab Americans simply due there ethnic background.

I keep hoping that we will learn from history but I have been proven wrong many times.

COMMENT 351788 helpful negative off topic

With seasonal rains promoting the g...

2012-12-08 06:06 PM

Never understood why people would want to eat a fungus in the first place.

COMMENT 351787 helpful negative off topic

Acorn Questions

2012-12-08 06:05 PM

They can also be dangerous projectiles when being shot out of the mower. I'd do a quick cleanup with a leaf blower first.

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

Meet Luna

2012-12-08 06:00 PM

I love it when cats use their bird-talking voices to the birdies outside.

NATURE BOY helpful negative off topic

Acorn Questions

2012-12-08 05:58 PM

1. My grandmother makes xmas wreaths with pinecones, and uses acorns in them too.

2. They can't damage lawn mower blades, but they'll make the blades go duller quicker, as mowing anything harder than grass will do.

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

Zeus

2012-12-08 05:58 PM

Oh what a lovdly baby!

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:54 PM

Thank you for this important post. I've been following your progress through Edhat sincde I learnee of it. My stroke was last February-affected my left side- and the last 10 months have been steady progress back to normalcy (rxcept for my weird typing to Edhat). I asked everyone in the ER if I had been given TPA (since a clot caused mine) and the answer was -"um, don't think anyone gave you any." Weird.

COMMENT 351782 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:52 PM

There is good reason why most people don't like EB or have gotten sick. Their food sucks. If you like it, you have not had fine dining and or gourmet food, not your fault.

COMMENT 351781 helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 05:40 PM

Wait....................
Doesn't the "end of the world" mean that the world ends?
If there is no more world there are no survivors.
Have a nice tomorrow.

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:39 PM

Awwwww -cute lioness. Who volunteers to put the Edhat T-shirt on her? Nice phot of the feathers (also baby flamingos)

COMMENT 351779 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:36 PM

As one of the nurses who was by your side in the ICU, the greatest satisfaction we have, is to see you healthy and happy. It has taken a lot of hard work on your part - you should be proud!

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:28 PM

Confirmed by News-Press yesterday. Not sorry to see it go.

AUNTIE S. helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:25 PM

Get their sweet potato fries. The best!

COMMENT 351776P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:12 PM

Google friends of Woni Kenya and donate to help drill a water well in. Africa. Every well drilled allows dozens, if not hundreds of girls to go to school where, now, they spend their days walking to retrieve water for their family.

COMMENT 351775 helpful negative off topic

242 Assault

2012-12-08 05:03 PM

Most of the apartments and housing are SB City Housing Authorty owned... (read, Section 8). These kind of calls shouldn't be a surprise. The tenants in many are in drug, alcohol treatment / half way houses for released prisoners and other facilities for those "transitioning" from "homeless" to getting funded housing.

COMMENT 351774 helpful negative off topic

Instagrammar

2012-12-08 05:03 PM

A picture is (and has been for a long time....) worth a thousand words!

I'm no teenager....but I agree that Instagram is cool :)

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Buying Snow

2012-12-08 04:42 PM

It's a real treat for kids to play in snow. In Carpinteria a load was brought in last year, fun to watch the little ones. Hope you find some for the school. When I was little it snowed here (1949), even on the islands.

COMMENT 351772 helpful negative off topic

Zeus

2012-12-08 04:41 PM

I like their expressions. You got a great smile, Zeus!

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Shasta's Cap

2012-12-08 04:38 PM

Great pictures, thanks. Haven't seen Shasta in 30 years. Looks like a fun trip home!

COMMENT 351770 helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 04:33 PM

Not sure it's a human. Kinda alienish.

COMMENT 351769 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 04:28 PM

Would love to see the shameful mug shots.

COMMENT 351768P helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 04:26 PM

What is it with Lompoc? There are constantly reports of stolen cars, shootings, and major drug and theft cases. This guy looks like a young version of the extremely creepy Observers on the TV show Fringe. I am guessing he is coming down off his perpetual high in this photo, but agree with 67. He's got serious asymmetry goin' on.

COMMENT 351767 helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 04:20 PM

I am struck as how if you draw a center line from mid-chin, through the lips and up the nasal ridge - the center line does not intersect the crest of his skull.

Does this asymmetry have behavioral implications?

COMMENT 351766 helpful negative off topic

Instagrammar

2012-12-08 04:17 PM

This grandfather likes it too...

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Over $30,000 of stolen property has...

2012-12-08 04:09 PM

I didn't know there was anything worth 30,000 in Lompoc..

COMMENT 351764 helpful negative off topic

Instagrammar

2012-12-08 04:08 PM

The beauty of Instagram is that anyone can take an impulse snap off their cellphone and dress it up to look wonderful. It's easy, it's crude but it's effective. What better way to get positive feedback on creativity.... it beats spending the afternoon at the Mall or on the couch playing video games.

COMMENT 351763 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 03:49 PM

The anniversary was reported on everynews station I watched, including KEYT (wouldn't know about the News Mess, haven't read that for years. Though it would seem some of the poo spewers from the opinion pages there have chosen Edhat to dump their loads of crap).

As a youth I lived in SE San Diego county and was priviledged to know John Finn, a Medal of Honor winner for his actions at Pearl Harbor. He stood in an unprotected anti aircraft gun pit and fired at the attacking Japanese planes despite being wounded several times in the head, arms and legs. By his own account, he was hit 28-29 times.

He was one of the people I thought of as I took the Army's oath of service in 1970 (served five years, including one in Viet Nam). Neither his service, nor any of those that have served and died for this country will be forgotten because an anniversary is ignored by nitwits with personal agendas. John's service and that of all who followed will live on in our hearts and minds.

COMMENT 351762 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 03:43 PM

It's nice and quiet on here now. Guess people have dashed off to the Library and the history area. Or, if already there, and this is more likely, shuffled across and upstairs.

COMMENT 351761 helpful negative off topic

General Comments

2012-12-08 03:32 PM

I'm looking for a new primary physician, since I'm fairly new to the area. I am 65, have medicare and am in good health. I would like a good physical from someone who would be available for any future health issues.

I have some preferences, so the more of these the better: prefer female, easy to interact with, experienced, and open to alternative or complimentary therapies (or at least not negative about them.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

COMMENT 351760 helpful negative off topic

Many are planning and building, hop...

2012-12-08 03:27 PM

Yes, I definitely want to be alive to see this. However, considering the doubt in what form this annihalation will arrive, how can one begin to plan for it? If it is a giant tidal wave, depending on where on lives, one would need to build a large boat in which to place all one's family, one's household and personal belongings, and of course our pets. Or, if we got nuked, we would need an enormous self maintaining nuclear safe bunker to place all the above, in which to stay until radiation dissipates.

Guess I should plan on both.

COMMENT 351759P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 03:23 PM

Since you all seem to enjoy making your opinions known, please answer this question: If you had the oportunity to publish you own opinions on how to make the world and your community better, would you take that oportuinty as did Ms.NCH.?
We already know that everyone does not agree on very much anymore. But don't we all like to think we're helping?

Odd Neighbor

2012-12-08 03:23 PM

Of a private home with a hammer. He is possibly on some sort of drugs or alcohol, wearing black shirt and blue jeans. Last seen running from area aprox. 3:10pm.

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

Medical Records

2012-12-08 03:12 PM

This link seems like a good source of information about the privacy of medical records. Read for yourself and see what you think:

COMMENT 351756P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 02:48 PM

The 'clot-buster' drug is not always given. There is a significant risk of unintended side effects of this drug, like uncontrolled bleeding. The neurologist weighs the severity of the symptoms, along with the radiological study to determine the location and type of stroke. In other words, the doctor will make a recommendation based upon more than the presentation of stroke symptoms. My husband suffered a 'mini stroke' where the clot resolved on its own. His neurologist, Dr. Delio (who is terrific, btw) recommended against the TPA. My husband was able to recover fully from the event with no deficit. We are lucky! Cottage ER is wonderful. Thank you medical professionals!

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 02:42 PM

Another one?

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 02:41 PM

@94 heehee..

242 Assault

2012-12-08 02:37 PM

The reporting party is refusing assistence concerning this earlier the victim did not want to press charges..I think this is a waste of police time why should they even show up if they don't know whats going on?

242 Assault

2012-12-08 02:31 PM

Not hearing much wouldn't be surprised if the cops just go code 7.

242 Assault

2012-12-08 02:26 PM

He's back after a successful morning escape the wrench pepper spray manic is back challenging people to fight. Now he has a tazer you know I'd shut this one down quick I hope that is what the police do..I do hope he waits for the police this time.. I won't say the whole address but I'm sure all the neighbors know where it is and the former owner Anita who was my land lady once is spinning where ever she may be thinking Rodger Dodger was the criziest tenent she ever had living there.

COMMENT 351750P helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 02:20 PM

Great job neighbors and cops! I can't wait to see the booking photos.

read complete comment thread

JEDHAT helpful negative off topic

Organization that Supports Families

2012-12-08 01:54 PM

91% of the funds have been raised on Indigogo.com key word project disney! There are some nice folks out there!

COMMENT 351748 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 01:49 PM

I've always been suspicious of the claims that catalytic converters are stolen for their metal. Certainly they would be worth more in the form of a catalytic converter than the raw rare metal within.

If you've ever taken a look at an old catalytic converter, you'll see the honeycomb structure within is seriously eroded. At that point, they can't be worth very much, even as meltdown.

COMMENT 351747 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:43 PM

This site is a depository for intellectually challenged rubbish - period.

This was WAR and due to the reality of sabotage and/or spying, Britain and the U.S.A. interned large numbers of German and Japanese in WWII. I suggest people read up on their history.

COMMENT 351746P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:41 PM

I have not supported all her political views, but I am very sorry the paper will be no more. The Santa Ynez valley is financially dominated by the Chumash who are buying up hotels in Solvang, for instance, along with the Parker land. If you got the money, you got the power --- and there needs to be some media oversight of this. There needs to be a media watchdog of the attempt by the Chumash to put more land out of County land use control into reservation status: Camp 4 needs to be watched.

Those celebrating obviously don't care about the local news (as distinct from the editorializing) and the jobs lost. (Not everyone wants to be a busboy at the Casino.) It's very sad. If there are no ripples, it's because most are not paying attention.

COMMENT 351745 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:32 PM

ate at E-Bar last night with 3 friends noe of us got sick and we all liked our different meals. Lamb shank, chicken marcella,
salad with gorginzola friut and nuts. They all tasted freshly made good and hot!

COMMENT 351744 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:30 PM

First go to the library and see if they have the book The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. If not --BUY it.
It is worth the price.

Most people give what THEY want --how they feel most loved.

Instead this book/short quiz will help you know more about her and how SHE most experiences feeling loved: (and visa versa)

+quality time
+words of affirmation
+gifts
+acts of service
+physical touch

Then you will know how to best show her you like/love --care for her.

Karen T. Marriage and Family Therapist.

COMMENT 351743 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:27 PM

One of my clients was a client of yours & I knew you before the stroke. I have been so delighted to read your posts on Edhat and todays post is really a great public service. Continued good health to you!!

COMMENT 351742P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:26 PM

Great. More spew from ignorant, deluded conspiracy nitwits.

COMMENT 351741 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:13 PM

Regarding the concentration camps and the theft of Central Valley land from those incarcerated, Historian Douglas Dierich commented on the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II, pointing out that because the constitutionality of this event has been held up no individual is safe from federal search, seizure, and impoundment, and U.S. citizenship has ceased to have any meaning.

again, NO individual.....

COMMENT 351740 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:05 PM

Thank you for sharing your personal story, we never think of someone as young as you would be a candidate for a stroke. So glad you had a full recovery and are living a healthy life and sharing your experience with others to help them recognize the symptoms and also encouraging them in recovery.

Were you given TPA and can EMTs administer it or is it something you only get after you arrive at the hospital. I understand that time is of the essence when it come to TPA administration.

Stories like yours make us realize how precious life is and how important it is to do all we can do to stay healthy and informed.

GRANNYFRANNY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:04 PM

I agree with several comments: make a donation in her name to a good nonprofit; Santa Barbara's own Direct Relief Foundation, Hospice, etc. -- or Habitat for Humanity.

GRANNYFRANNY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:00 PM

E-Bar's happy hour food is a complete meal at a big discount, if you order a couple of choices; their drinks are only OK, but won't kill you. Get there before 6 PM, try the bar food, make up your mind -- you'll get an idea of what it's like at a bargain price.

COMMENT 351737 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 12:55 PM

Are you sure that was near La Colina Junior High and not La Colina Street? At 3:30am, my husband and I witnessed several cops walking around with flashlights on Lee Dr, near La Colina Street. They were looking at cars and close up to the street. It look like they were looking for evidence, we guessed that was ditched. I made a post on Edhat, asking what happened, but never saw the post.

COMMENT 351736 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:43 PM

JOELOWPRO - +1. I, too, like to have King Snakes on my foothill property for Rattlesnake control and have brought several Kings home over the years when I have found them on roads.

The "King" is named the king for a reason. It is impervious to rattlesnake venom. Thus, when it comes upon a potential rattlesnake dinner the face-off begins.

The rattler attempts to envenomate the king and the king (a constrictor) will then squeeze the life out of its natural enemy. And then - B-U-U-R-R-P!

COMMENT 351735 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:41 PM

It was YESTERDAY!

COMMENT 351734 helpful negative off topic

Edhat Dogs Needed

2012-12-08 12:26 PM

If you don't have a dog (or cat) of the week, perhaps you could show a dog (or cat) that needs to be adapted from one of the organizations in town. I'm sure they would appreciate it!

COMMENT 351733 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:21 PM

I've kept "wild" and captive born snakes for many years. I had a gopher snake for many years and always fed her live prey, no artificial heat, and she grew to be almost 6 feet long. I kept her as I was a science educator and could pass her around a large circle of children and she was super mellow. She taught a lot of people what snakes are really like and was a wonderful ambassador. But she should have stayed in the wild. Looking back, I would never keep a wild snake in captivity unless it could not be released due to a medical condition.

Once this one has eaten, I'd release it early on a warm day up on the Wilcox property.

COMMENT 351732P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:14 PM

Thank you, it's so important for people to remember the tips to prevent strokes, and the warning signs of one. Women especially tend to discount symptoms, just like with heart attacks. A friend's mother's only noticed one symptom: the sound of water in her ears. Her daughter noticed subtle signs of the more common symptoms.
Just out of curiosity, and not meaning to pry, but isn't there a drug called TPA that is given by IV if the stroke is detected soon enough, and then clot dissolves (thus the apt nickname clotbuster? Was wondering how it ended up you had surgery. Assuming the wrap on your head was not an offbeat fashion statement.

COMMENT 351731 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:10 PM

It is too bad that negative opinion and thought can completely destroy and override a picture of beauty. The photographer has brought to us visions that we do not ordinarly see in our Dailey life. Be thankful that we have eyes to see this beauty. If sight leaves any of us tomorrow, we all will be thankful for the beauty we saw today.

COMMENT 351730 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 11:47 AM

Oh, good point, Natureboy. I think you've won me over to your point of view. After all, for better or worse, we too are animals, and part of the scene. We are certainly unique in the rough, messy left with our planetary footprints, but we are here to stay it seems. If we artificially prop up other species by rescuing the individuals the larger system would cull, the species ultimately suffers.
I love a well-reasoned argument!

COMMENT 351729 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 11:45 AM

Your converter has about 1/10 ounce of platinum. Commodity market price of platinum is about $1500 per ounce. It is easily removed from the converter. I have no idea what the "wholesale " price is or where to sell it, but If I stole it for a living, I could find out. If you buy a used converter on ebay for 35 bucks, it surely has the precious metal removed. You need that catalyst to make the catalytic converter work. In the way old days the platinum catalyst sometimes disappeared from the hydrogen generator used to fill up the big weather balloons. Helium now.

COMMENT 351728P helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 11:41 AM

Yay!!!!

COMMENT 351727 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 11:30 AM

Depends on how old they are, how big they are, and what kind of car they came off of, but you can find them sold for scrap on flebay for $30-$200 each.

COMMENT 351726 helpful negative off topic

Hit & Run

2012-12-08 11:14 AM

437 is RIGHT!

COMMENT 351725 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 11:14 AM

One final comment: I wonder why people feel that a remote reading of their electricity usage is more of an invasion of privacy than a human walking onto their property to read their meter...

As a staunch advocate of personal privacy and someone who not only supports the EFF and ACLU financially but also spends a sizable amount of time working towards greater transparency in the advertising and marketing industries; this whole issue confuses me and seems to be more of a canard than anything.

If people knew what data was being collected about them by much more nefarious agencies and companies they'd spend their time fighting for a real cause instead of this fear-mongered cause du jour. Yes, I am serious.

Scanner Reports 12-7-12

2012-12-08 11:09 AM

That is from boozing I forgot to add that..I wonder what the tourists think when they see it?

Scanner Reports 12-7-12

2012-12-08 11:07 AM

You should see what the new neighbor did on the porch she lives on next door Barf as far as the eye can see!

COMMENT 351722 helpful negative off topic

Medical Records

2012-12-08 10:59 AM

HIPAA is irrelevant here, you always have had to consent to get records sent elsewhere. And prescriptions expire in a year so you need to see a new physician now- even with records no one will refill your meds without seeing you.

Your retired physician has to maintain access to medical records. Even if she doesn't have associates she may have sold or given away her practice, with the recipient required to maintain access to records. The medical society may know who has the records, or call around to other physicians to ask if anyone knows. The labs who did your blood work keep records that can be transferred to a new physician with your release. If you are healthy, which may be the case if you haven't been to your physician for a year, there may not be much in your records that a new physician may need to know!

COMMENT 351721 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:59 AM

Modern Hoarder! I was just about to click off and Modern Hoarder came into view. Bust out laughing. THIS is why I used to read edhat daily... Most other posts have gone snarky or frankly, not very creative. Funny. Thank you.

COMMENT 351720 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 10:53 AM

Good job, caught in the act too!

Anyone know how much they get for cats to make it worth the risk to them? I have tossed many cats over the years never realizing they were worth something. I just recycled them because of the metal.

COMMENT 351719 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:47 AM

I went there once and enjoyed the appetizers. Had the ribs at another Elephant Bar and they were too sweet. This is not great healthy local food but it is possible to thoroughly enjoy your dinner- it is much better than Applebee's. You will not be poisoning yourself as others have implied. (My favorite Chinese restaurants probably haven't been cleaned in 20 years)

COMMENT 351718 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 10:46 AM

It's hard to leave when you can't find the door!

COMMENT 351717 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:45 AM

When your "source of news" lies about and/or hides the truth about Americans and the USA then it's way past time to change to different, more than one, "sources of news".

read complete comment thread

CAPTAIN HALEY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:44 AM

It was all over the news. I don't know where you guys have been,

COMMENT 351715P helpful negative off topic

Meet Luna

2012-12-08 10:36 AM

Beautiful kitties! She is so pretty and I love those blue eyes.

COMMENT 351714 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 12-7-12

2012-12-08 10:34 AM

Alcohol is a central nervous system DEPRESSANT.
Alcohol intoxication at the level these alcoholics and bums are often under is THE WORST THING in cold weather. A person who goes to sleep (or passes out) in very cold weather while intoxicated has a much higher likelihood of expiring in their sleep than another person sleeping in the exact same circumstances that is not drunk or under the influence. Adding depressant drugs to this dangerous mix just makes this scenario even worse.

COMMENT 351713P helpful negative off topic

Zeus

2012-12-08 10:34 AM

They are both adorable! Thank you for rescuing Zeus! I love happy dog stories.

242 Assault

2012-12-08 10:29 AM

Suspect left area in 99 Buick sedan unsure if charges will be pressed or it's just the usual neighborhood drama.. I guess there are worse places to live in S.B.

RHS helpful negative off topic

Medical Records

2012-12-08 10:24 AM

MTNDRIVER, what you say about marketers having access to our medical records is not true. Drug companies get the information from the Drs. State legislation to prohibit this in some places was stopped by the US S Ct on some theory of free speech or other bizarre interpretation of corporate personhood.

COMMENT 351710 helpful negative off topic

Brick & Mortar VS Online Shopping

2012-12-08 10:21 AM

I like the selection and convenience of Amazon - so few retailers have any sort of decent customer service and product knowledge - unless of course you talk about Apple or perhaps some overpriced clothing place like Nordstroms. But wandering around at retail stores is old school - especially with all the chain stores in SB - and then you walk out in the street and are assaulted by smokers everywhere - why can't they ban smoking on State Street - like is done in San Luis Obispo, Beverly Hills, and many other towns (I know, this is a tangent - but dealing with smoke is another part of the insult on wandering around State Street).

COMMENT 351709P helpful negative off topic

Santa Barbara Beekeepers Associatio...

2012-12-08 10:20 AM

BEE-youtiful!

COMMENT 351708 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 10:20 AM

If the smart meter is a way of saving the company money, then why don't they offer the public the option of accepting the smart meter for a REDUCTION in their electric costs. That would make sense, but of course, the smart meter is not really "smart" it is smart business enabling the company to increase profits and eliminate the jobs of meter readers!

COMMENT 351707 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:18 AM

Except for the lion photo they are all beautiful. The poor lion looks like it has been shot and it waiting to be stuffed!

COMMENT 351706 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:15 AM

If you think the attack on Pearl Harbor was not a "surprise attack" you ought to listen to President Roosevelt's speech delivered to Congress on December 8th 1941. But then you probably would have claimed he was a liar or perhaps the attack was the result of a insulting video!

RHS helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 10:15 AM

Thank you 697 for some sanity in this discussion.

COMMENT 351704 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:14 AM

NCH does a lot for our community and is a very caring human being. I may not support her political views but I certainly support her right to publish them. There seem to be a lot of readers who believe otherwise.

COMMENT 351703 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 10:12 AM

Im sorry but you're a little confused as to what freedom means... it doesnt mean that you're free to have the world bend to your needs - it means you're free to think and act (within reason) on your own terms. If this is a real "problem" that affects you, than you're more than free to move somewhere where its not and certainly more than free to unplug - BTW, Millions of people believe the earth to be 2000 years... its not.

The whole issue is psychosomatic and is wholly unfounded in science. Its a placebo. Yes there are effects from EMR but the levels are no where near what you receive with any consumer device... You can read all you want on the web or you can study the actual science and understand the realities of EMR....There are plenty of places where you can avoid modern life all together and instead receive your EMR directly from the sun, the largest most prolific emitter in the universe.

COMMENT 351702 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 10:11 AM

D. Harry, just out of curiosity what is the difference between Hitler's Nazis and lets say Stalin's Commies?

COMMENT 351701 helpful negative off topic

Catalytic Converter Arrest

2012-12-08 10:07 AM

great!

COMMENT 351700 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:59 AM

Heifer Internaltion, Unity Shop, Catholic Charities, CALM......there are so many who have nothing when she has so much

COMMENT 351699 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:59 AM

Many of the folks that claim to be the Chumash descendants are not and if they even have any Indian ancestry it is mostly Shoshone, Yaque and other who were sent here from other Indian agencies like the Tulle agency. The group in Santa Ynez is not even a legitimate "tribe" and is not on any lawfully established "reservation. No one there now ever got anything "ripped off" from them, and in fact they are the people ripping off the gamblers who are foolish enough to play their unregulated slot machines. In addition to collecting over a half million in profits per member from the casino every year they do not give to charities as much as they are still collecting in federal welfare and grant money. Dirty Harry you should learn the facts before making inane statements. You could have learned the truth had you actually read the paper--or maybe your one of these "Chumash" tribal members.

COMMENT 351698 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:58 AM

Except for the really nutty owner rant I really liked this little paper. It was pretty cool that one person was willing to spend ALOT of money being throughly her self.....no matter how little I personally agreed....
I think 1616 is being ironic/sarcastic - Nancy and her editorial policy was way up front in supporting her stand that one part of the world (godless, anti free market, inland Chumash, etc) was constantly conspiring to subvert her part of the world (entitled, white, Christian). Hence the tinfoil lined hat remark.....

COMMENT 351697 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 09:55 AM

So smart meters are a threat to our liberties now? Where were you people when the Patriot Act became law? Jeeze. Have a little perspective.

COMMENT 351696 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:49 AM

It is very sad how we have so forgotten our heroes and the truth about how they suffered to keep us free. We sure have exchanged the truth for a lie in this nation and we live in a world of fiction. May God Bless your Father for what he did for us. I am sure that God remembers him and all the others.

I will also continue to pray for those who believe that prayer is a joke.That they will come to understand how much they are loved by God

COMMENT 351695 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:44 AM

666 There is nothing wrong with the E-bar and it is as clean as most restaurants. I get the feeling that many of these negative posts are from the same handful of gripers that for whatever reason had a bad experience of some kind. If there were any truth to the "epidemic" of sickness described by these gripers the Health Department would have cited them long ago and probably closed them down!

COMMENT 351694 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 09:43 AM

That can only be....Walters

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

Medical Records

2012-12-08 09:43 AM

487, what you say about marketers having your medical records is not true.

OP, whoever took over the practice of your retired MD should still have your records, which can be forwarded to your new doc as a courtesy--should not be a charge for that.

But after 11 months new blood work is probably in order.

COMMENT 351692 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:39 AM

My father died on December 7, 1951 ten years after Pearl Harbor. He flew 79 missions in his P-38 Lightning and then his P-51 Mustang. He flew in some of the worst weather imaginable in the ETO from April-November of 1944. Ironically, he died in a blinding snow storm in Amarillo, Texas during a cross country training flight in another P-51 Mustang. I was concieved on December 7, 1941. I too saw and heared nothing on the radio, television or newspaper regarding the 61st anniversary of the event...

COMMENT 351691 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 09:39 AM

ummm 669 I was under the impretion we still live in a free country. Being able to opt out of something millions of people feel is an infringment upon their privacy would seem to be something other then "expecting the world to bend to your idiosyncracies" You obviously have not read much about the meters if you think the reason is "percieved effects of radio waves" Try googing it's easy and wonderful. Keep bending and losing your liberties to corporations if that is how you feel. Some of us cherish our liberties and privacy and will fight for them. A very Proud American!

COMMENT 351690 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:35 AM

1680 is wrong....there are plenty of "real" Chumash left....open your eyes.

COMMENT 351689 helpful negative off topic

Shasta's Cap

2012-12-08 09:32 AM

I love Shasta; it is lovely. Thanks for the pictures

COMMENT 351688 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:31 AM

Agree with 618, just release him, and instincts will do the rest! I once was sitting on the edge of the Santa Ynez River off Paradise road, and saw a HUGE king snake swim across and slither up the bluff-they are strong and agile. Beautiful animals!

COMMENT 351687 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:29 AM

Here here 619. Glad to see a fellow patriot aware of what is going on. Pearl Harbor was a false flag just like 9/11, Vietnam, Iraq etc. Hope America does not fall for the Syrian chemical weapons scare tactics.

Thank You to all Americans who have served in the armed forces.

COMMENT 351686 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:28 AM

Loved the photos. Thank you.

COMMENT 351685 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:26 AM

Beautiful creature, great postings, and--got to learn a new word! EdHat rules!

COMMENT 351684 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:25 AM

A snake on the beach is NOT lost.They hunt on the beach as other animals do.They can swim better than you and I and they eat their young.I havebeen surfing the area for 44 years and have seen many animals on the beach including deer, cows, and pigs.Last time I saw a kingsnake on the beach was at Jalama,and it was waiting for a swallow baby to fall out of one of the nests that was above it.Pretty smart if you ask me.Snakes are on there own after they are born,since they tend to eat one another.

COMMENT 351683 helpful negative off topic

Meet Luna

2012-12-08 09:24 AM

Is she a Flame point?

COMMENT 351682 helpful negative off topic

Meet Luna

2012-12-08 09:20 AM

Yes I agree with Jules--both are beautiful....cats are best!

COMMENT 351681 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:19 AM

I also heard about it on KEYT, NPR, Ktyde. The President talked about it too.

COMMENT 351680 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:18 AM

Actually Harry the largest employer in the county is the Govt...Whether its the Feds with Vandenberg and the ancillary industries, the State, the County or the Cities - they collectively employ about 40% of the population

And there are no real Chumash left. There are only people who claim to be Chumash but are more often than not Latino... but the rest of your post is right on... I like the fact that they're making bank from all the poor white trash that plays their slots and games... Have you ever seen a happy person in that place? They're all stout, miserable folks hypnotized by the machines and their addiction...

COMMENT 351679 helpful negative off topic

Zeus

2012-12-08 09:18 AM

Sweet pals & friends for life!

COMMENT 351678 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:13 AM

sadder still is that it appears she's not even trying to sell the paper but instead put a self inflicted bullet closing the whole deal. What if a competent journalism outfit were available so that more employees wouldn't be put out on the street? Now one more venue for thoughtful discussion is silenced. We could disagree with her perspective but the issues stayed within the civic discourse. Now the Chumash PR machine will bury thoughtful criticism of their plans for intensive development with more self-congradulatory blather.

COMMENT 351677 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:12 AM

It was certainly covered in the L. A. Times.

COMMENT 351676 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:11 AM

645 - prayer is a joke. A way to do nothing and pat yourself on the back about it.

COMMENT 351675 helpful negative off topic

Meet Luna

2012-12-08 09:10 AM

ahh, I really like the last photo!

read complete comment thread

ANDY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:09 AM

Fabulous photos. You truly are an artist. Anti zoo people don't understand the full picture. Ignore them.

COMMENT 351673 helpful negative off topic

Zeus

2012-12-08 09:09 AM

So glad you rescued Zeus. He looks very happy

COMMENT 351672 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:04 AM

And one more thing—the Chumash were here long before any of us. The were then subjegated, shuffled around, and utterly ripped off by white folks, not any of you since you weren't here of course. Now they're back, the few that are left, and they're getting some of their land back and making a fortune off of fools dreaming of the big "jackpot". The Chumash Band of Indians, the largest employer in the county, gives millions of dollars annually to charities throughout Santa Barbara County, feeding needy families, supporting child care services while also pumping millions back into the local economy. The deserve every penny they get and we should all be happy they're putting so much of it to good uses.

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:04 AM

How about a photo of someone she loves, beautifully framed?

Or a generous offering to a charity in her name. People who have everything often don't want any more things.

COMMENT 351670P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 09:03 AM

E-Bar is very scary now. I took a good friend there and it was day time. We saw the dirt everywhere and watched the Host wipe tables with a very dirty towel. We should have left then. I have had 2 stomach aches after eating there, saw all the filth & now I'm done.

COMMENT 351669 helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 09:00 AM

Im sorry for those who suffer from the perceived effects of radio waves - but why is it you expect society to bend to you?

That's not the way the world works. You and only you have to adapt to your environment - not the other way around. Its arrogant and selfish to think otherwise...

So I'd advise those with issues to seek out places where they can be relieved of such issues. Move, change, adapt to the world around you - do not expect the world to bend to your idiosyncrasies and special needs...

COMMENT 351668 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:58 AM

It is the Solemenity of The Immaculate Concepction of the Blessed Virgin Mary today. I didnt see that covered in the news either

COMMENT 351667 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:57 AM

Lovely Images, Denise. After visiting a zoo and being able to get pictures of animals at close, controlled range, I really appreciate the skill, patience and perseverance that must be requited for those fabulous animal picture taken in the wild.

COMMENT 351666 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:54 AM

So many bitter threds ,Really all of you got sick ,Maybe it was your own personal hygene or lack of and you should have washed your hands, Geez were you licking the bottoms of the tables, or picking at your parts?? I have been there many times over 25 yrs and i never got sick and i have a sensitive stomach that fails me offten,, always had great service .and if you sit inside you never have to deal with the airport noise or fumes,I have taken people there who have never been and everyone was very happy and quite surprised of the great experiance,There are a lot of people here that have a lot of issues,I bet the shrinks in this town make bank, just saying.Oh well only a few days left and it is all over anyway,

COMMENT 351665 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:53 AM

Dessert only . . . mud pie, definitely. YUM.

COMMENT 351664 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:53 AM

I occasionally had problems getting sick at various delicious restaurants in town. There was a problem with the salsa and discussions about it some time ago. I have learned to BYOS......Bring your own salsa. I have not had problems getting sick since from places where I had in the past. It doesn't answer each thing but is good to know.

COMMENT 351663 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:52 AM

And by the way, I'm quite surprised that Wendy McCaw didn't buy it so she could expand her "yellow" journalism empire. Shhhhhhh, let's not give her any ideas.

COMMENT 351661 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:45 AM

OMG, finally she will lose her special interest voice and will return to attending reining horse championships instead. I do, however, appreciate the non-political human interest articles and coverage of local events the Journal covered. I expect the rabid Republican entourage will be very very sad. (Note: I am shedding no tears whatsoever!) I am personally encouraged by the comments here that preceded me. I kind of wondered if there was anyone out there who was tired of being subjected to her very slanted views. I guess when rich people want to express their opinions, they can just buy their own bully pulpits. Ummm, deja vu, haven't we already seen this before?

COMMENT 351660 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 08:41 AM

If I get out of the bathroom in under 20 minutes in the morning, it's a record!

COMMENT 351659P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:41 AM

How I will miss those weekly Nancy Crawford Hall's rants about voter fraud and her support of many right wing conspiracy theories. NOT. Just because you have the big bucks to buy your own paper (and your own political candidate) does not give you the right to spread lies and defame the character of upstanding citizens who actually contribute to the well being of the people of Santa Barbara County.

COMMENT 351658P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:40 AM

I noticed the Post Office was flying the flag at half mast and wondered why so I looked it up - even after listening to NPR in the car on the way home interview a survivor of the attack.

COMMENT 351657 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:39 AM

A Vacation !

COMMENT 351656P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:36 AM

Yes, it is true. The final issue will be December 20.

COMMENT 351655P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:36 AM

Coot feet!

read complete comment thread

JOELOWPRO helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:35 AM

Personally, and for completely selfish reasons... I'd raise it to full size, teaching it to catch live prey and then let it go in my yard. They are one of the Rattlesnakes few natural predators and I just recently found a similarly sized rattler in my kids play yard. I love California King snakes and wish I had more of them on my property!

COMMENT 351653 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:32 AM

Technically, if this snake's evolutionary "fate" was to drown, removing it and keeping it in a terrarium will not affect its fitness in any way.

If it either dies or lives a life of solitude with no further chances to reproduce, its alleles still die with it.

Picking it up and moving it another, safe, place is actually further necessitating the anthropocentric idea that we are superior and can artificially select things as we please.

COMMENT 351652P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:32 AM

475, LOL.

COMMENT 351651 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:31 AM

Zoos have both plusses and minuses -- good for teaching, but bad re captivity.
What I don't like re the local zoo is their allowing noisy parties held by humans -- bands, dancing, loud music and voices -- all have no part in a zoo -- please! must damage all the creatures held there, (as if they weren't already being damaged) --

COMMENT 351650 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:31 AM

Disgusting

COMMENT 351649 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:30 AM

How about nothing? Give something to someone else in need and do it in her name!

COMMENT 351648 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:28 AM

Such joyous pictures! I had captions for most of them and saved them for my screen saver! Thanks for the fun!

COMMENT 351647 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:27 AM

I hope not. It is one of the few local papers that is not afraid to publish the truth and is not manipulated by advertisers or the fear of offending advertisers to the extent the truth and facts arising within the community are stifled and twisted to fit an agenda.

COMMENT 351646P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:26 AM

643 is correct. Elections have consequences.

COMMENT 351645 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:24 AM

It was covered by the Catholic Church, people went to Mass and prayed for the lost souls and their surviving families. How better than that?

COMMENT 351644 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:22 AM

Never had a problem there and have eaten there with my family from time to time for years. They make a number of Asian inspired dishes that are fairly decent. I like the ribs for an entre' and the wait staff, although largely younger college type folks, have always been courteous and reasonably efficient. The location was apparently an attempt to be near the airport and private airplane and jet terminal. That is the one drawback. At times when the wind is off the ocean the smell of J-P 5 is fairly strong and reminds me of when I was in the Marine corp at NAS Atsugi and the fighter jets would belch those strong fuel odors.

COMMENT 351643 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:21 AM

It is just another business collapse. There will be many more.

COMMENT 351642 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 08:19 AM

1616.... step away from the computer, go take a shower, make yourself a bit of breakfast and get outside to breath some fresh air.... preferably use your legs to get you there, do not drive.

read complete comment thread

MARJELK helpful negative off topic

A Guadalupe man found guilty of mur...

2012-12-08 08:15 AM

Looks are so deceptive. He looks so innocent and not guilty of those horrendous things. That kind is the worst because he can get away with things. Glad he is finally caught and behind bars for a long, long time.

COMMENT 351640P helpful negative off topic

5th Annual Holiday Gift Boutique

2012-12-08 08:02 AM

I would love to know the actual prices of the massages. I hate to call up and find they are higher than I like to pay. I like to be fiscally conservative so I can give liberally to worthy causes. Who knows this may be a great cause.;

COMMENT 351639P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:59 AM

I was nearly hospitalized after my meal there!

COMMENT 351638P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:59 AM

The Santa Barbara View did a story on this: http://bit.ly/UtJ8NH

COMMENT 351637 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:53 AM

The water is the only thing good.

COMMENT 351636P helpful negative off topic

Shasta's Cap

2012-12-08 07:53 AM

nice definition of the mountain. great cloud shot as well!

COMMENT 351635 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:52 AM

Lessee.... Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day .... I think we pay a lot of attention to wars past throughout the year. You'd think we were invaded several times given what we spend on defense and the deference we give our military industrial complex.

COMMENT 351634P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:52 AM

One of my favorite restaurants.

COMMENT 351633P helpful negative off topic

Wedding Caterer

2012-12-08 07:51 AM

Michael's catering does a great job and they will help you make your decision regarding what to serve. There are many great caterers in the community now that City College is putting them out. Talk to Isidro in the catering department and get his recommendation. Also Renato at "Via Maestro 42" is a great person who can help with referrals if you do not like his prices. Renato is a wonderful human being who gives freely to many charities. His prices may be high but he is very honest and I guarantee no one will be disappointed with the quality and taste he offers.

COMMENT 351632 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 07:49 AM

You should buy a gun!

COMMENT 351631 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:45 AM

E-bar is nasty nasty nasty!!

COMMENT 351630 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:44 AM

9/11 is already a footnote too. That's nothing new, by the way--Pearl Harbor was a footnote by 1950 (the Japanese were our "friends" by then).

Smoke Investigation

2012-12-08 07:41 AM

Judges have their own private chambers.

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:41 AM

You might also consider a new portrait of yourself. Moms love photos and a neat idea a friend used: in a double, hinged frame, her 5th grade school picture and a current head shot, same pose, done in sepia and hand colored.

I'd team this with ANY of the wonderful suggestions made here, other than those playful attempts at comedy. But maybe some comedy in her life wouldn't be so bad either.

Above all else, a big old hug and a juicy kiss on the cheek, maybe a tear of gratitude or two.

COMMENT 351627 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:40 AM

Nice work. I especially loved the splash of colours in the close up of the plumage.

As for the zoo argument.... there are too many pros and cons on both sides. If it wasn't for zoos there would be no pandas for example. Pretty soon the only gene pool for tigers will be those in captivity. Elephants, gorillas and rhinos are being poached into extinction and other animals are slaughtered for sport by fee paying "hunters" - not for their meat but for trophies.

Sure, being cooped up in a well run zoo sucks but so does being in a private zoo without standards or in the wild with fewer resources for survival and high powered rifles with night scopes waiting to ambush you at every available watering hole.

COMMENT 351626P helpful negative off topic

Affordable Christmas Tree

2012-12-08 07:33 AM

I have an artificial tree which I purchased after Christmas which is a fiber optic tree. Got it for half price at a drug store having their honest clearance and have loved it over the years. Yes you can use it again and again.

COMMENT 351625 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:24 AM

I had an excellent New York steak at the E-Bar.

COMMENT 351624 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:23 AM

I thought the opinion columns where often over the top, but in defense of it, they did a lot of stories on local events. I will miss it

COMMENT 351623 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:18 AM

It won't be missed, that's for sure. Good riddance.

COMMENT 351622 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:09 AM

Chippendales gift cert

read complete comment thread

NMEYER helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:08 AM

A Gift Certificate for The Ultimate Decleor Aromatherapy Facial at Skin Deep...it is truly one of the most beautiful gifts of nurturing and relaxation - for anyone at any age. We have hundreds of customers who give this special treatment to others each year - it is one that many would not consider doing for themselves...and a gift that is never forgotten.

COMMENT 351620 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:08 AM

Not sad from my point of view.

COMMENT 351619 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:04 AM

The amazing point is that when mentioned in the news it is referred to as a "surprise" attack. 50 years later it came out that we had 2 weeks notice and responded by steaming the aircraft carriers to sea as we could not afford to lose them. Without the Pearl Harbor loss, the citizens would not have rallied behind the war. The imminent use of chemical weapons in Syria (echo wmd Iraq) are the lies for the next war. We cannot learn from a history we choose to forget

COMMENT 351618 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 07:00 AM

Set the snake free at the north edge of the preserve. Dont feed it. Thanks for rescuing it

Are we not part of nature? Some seem to believe our "intelligence" sets us apart, snakes live in their world and should adapt to "ours" and we should adapt nature to suit our needs.

To paraphrase a previous poster child "But my ultimate answer is that, since [you] DO encroach into [my] world, that [you] should learn to evolve around [me], as awful as that seems to be.>

Can we consciously evolve past the anthropocentric and narcissistic frame of mind please.

COMMENT 351617 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:58 AM

I saw it covered. Heard about it first thing yesterday morning, though not from any of the local sources.

COMMENT 351615 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:56 AM

Love the snake, and really love seeing 100% subscriber comments!

COMMENT 351614 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:53 AM

I guess she wasn't able to buy a county supe's seat so she'll take her efforts elsewhere. AZ is always amenable to moneyed interests.

COMMENT 351613 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:49 AM

While NATUREBOY makes a good point as relates to evolution I don't see how it relates to individual experiences. If mistakes made by individuals affected the entire species we'd have far fewer numbers than we do. Individuals learn from their mistakes/experiences not those of the collective clan/species. But the issue is really a lot deeper than a 400 character field can carry.

read complete comment thread

PETER helpful negative off topic

Medical Records

2012-12-08 06:41 AM

I have had no problem in getting copies of my records, even for years back, from Sansum. They have a records office that specializes in just that service. Records for UCLA were free. Otherwise, you pay by the page.

Obamacare is paying doctors to go to electronic records. The problem is that there are no standards. Each software company has its own data format. At this time there are two or three major software packages, and several smaller programs. They do not talk to each other.

That will change, but it will take a year or two for some independent company to jump in and fill the need.

COMMENT 351611 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:36 AM

To the OP...it WAS covered in the news. You just weren't looking. Or perhaps you were only looking at the News Press or KEYT; neither of which has any resemblance to a legitimate news organization.

COMMENT 351610P helpful negative off topic

A lead inspector with the City of S...

2012-12-08 06:32 AM

Make as much cash as possible. That is Pini's short sighted view of how run a business. As a businessman, Pini is a laughing stock. His apartments may produce a ton of cash today, but that won't last. The apartments he owns are so in disrepair that the buildings are worthless. And when his creditors figure that out, his house of cards will come tumbling down. Grab the popcorn for the show.

COMMENT 351609 helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 06:32 AM

I hope they had plenty of reading material for the wait 'til someone got the door open.

COMMENT 351608 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 06:18 AM

At first I laughed at 351546P, thinking sarcastically that nothing screams Christmas spirit quite like promising dear old Mom that you won't lock her away in a retirement home.

But then I re-read Matthew chapter 2, and while the three wise men did bring gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to baby Jesus, their REAL gift was not returning to King Herod to tell him the whereabouts of Christ so that Herod could kill him or "put him away".

So I guess the no-retirement-home gift isn't a bad one after all.

read complete comment thread

POWDRELL helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 05:36 AM

Beautiful photography. Thanks for sharing the images with us.

COMMENT 351606P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 04:08 AM

Of all publications in our "pond", the shuttering of the Valley Journal will result in the fewest ripples...ho hum.

COMMENT 351605P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 04:07 AM

598p.....Point. set. Match. Win. My point being that even those who do not adequately cover "local" news, somehow they got wind of this.

COMMENT 351604P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 02:38 AM

514. That's pretty darn funny.

546. You rock. I'd say 98% of moms don't want to move from their homes.

OP: Make that promise (see 546), make sure she knows you're serious. Then, follow through. Peace of mind at her age is a jewel beyond price.

Don't forget to make her that macaroni picture, a self-portrait, along with a handmade card. (Good one, 563.)

EMUWREN1 helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 02:21 AM

EDDIEKD. Your comment put a big, huge, goofy grin on my face. Boy, do I love snakes. All animals. And snakes are so, so cool.

@595P. Whatever you do, don't go to Australia. Loads of coastline/beaches and a plethora of snakes. Not just snakes and more snakes, but Aus also has one of the deadliest species of snakes found anywhere in the world.

Tip: Hawaii and New Zealand have no snakes, but then there's that coastline/beach issue again.

Why do people live in SB and not go to the beach? Must admit, I'm glad about it, though.

COMMENT 351602P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 01:34 AM

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, we went to war with Japan, we won. It was in the News-Press back when the N-P was a real newspaper.

read complete comment thread

YIN YANG helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:48 AM

Here's the SB Wildlife Care Network #

RESCUE HOTLINE: 805.681.1080

Hope it can live in your neighborhood if it doesn't go to Wilcox!
Thanks for helping the snake.

(Nature Boy, I see a bit of your point, but how is the wildlife around us ever going to adapt to freeways and automobiles, let alone pollution?! Your screen name is so ironic on your posts in this thread. Not meant personally, just my point of view.)

read complete comment thread

JUKINJAY helpful negative off topic

Roger Code Red

2012-12-08 12:39 AM

Oh, dear, what can the matter be?

COMMENT 351599P helpful negative off topic

So Cal Edison Hearing

2012-12-08 12:22 AM

The whole thing is a scam-holding those who cannot afford to buy a home, hostage to a corporate state. Imagine you are a person who by some other reasons other than your choice, are forced to move from your rental multiple times in a year. Each time you move, you must take the steps of opting-out all over and and therefore re-pay the initial opt-out FEE!!! Hello! Why should renters or temporary workers be forced into this weird arrangement with a utility company? It's like they are holding our electricity and health for a ransom/or hostage. I emphatically oppose the decision of the City of Santa Barbara to accept this dis-functional relationship. They voted Smart Meters OUT in Ojai, altogether. Why did we allow these folks to come in and take over our territory? It's sick.

COMMENT 351598P helpful negative off topic

2012-12-08 12:11 AM

The News Press is not a news outlet or journalistic publication.

read complete comment thread

46% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY