Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 72.5°F | Humidity: 47% | Pressure: 29.84in (Steady) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NW | Wind Speed: 7.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17896 Subscribers

Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 03/21/17

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

JB86 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:48 PM

We have been happy with the Cat House for the past 10 years, for two cats. Good thing there is the cats get 'out time,' as they might want it. Amazing how when you get so many cats together, they get along fine. More recently, with an 18-year-old having health issues, we have boarded him at La Concepcion, which is actually cheaper than Cat House, but he has gotten individualized care and done fine. One of their Techs - Cat, short for Catherine, as luck would have it - is super with cats.

COMMENT 764920P helpful negative off topic

Interior Designer

2017-03-21 11:12 PM

Well, for a more recent update, I'd like to continue the support of Colleen Macey at SB Window Fashions off of State Street on Figueroa. I chose them based on a recommendation from a friend who wanted some Santa Barbara blinds. Well, blinds that looked like they fit her SB home. Colleen is an awesome interior designer and her sense of color is phenomenal. She has great ideas. She works with great products, and just talking to her about color choices for my kids room opened my eyes a lot. I also like their storefront too. A lot of great options and visuals to see. Really helps you get a sense of the design aesthetic that they have there. Hope it helps!

JB86 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:52 PM

I avoid 154 in good weather, let alone rainy conditions like today. Spend an extra 10 minutes and take 101 to 246. Safer and more relaxing.

COMMENT 764918P helpful negative off topic

Spirit Movie & Talk: NDE Film Heave...

2017-03-21 09:50 PM

Do not purchase the bridge.

read complete comment thread

RICHYRICH helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 09:45 PM

They're big and harmless and when they get in the house I don't want to kill them. I catch them on the wall or a window with a glass cup, then slide a piece of paper in to catch them and then I open the door and let them go. Recently I did that and the crane fly flew out to a big rock and landed and a second later a big lizard snagged him and eat him up! Oh well, I did my best. True story

ANIMALLISTNER helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:37 PM

Sending prayers and healing thoughts. All you nay Sayers, request more patrol on our roads, and highways. Give it a rest. Our officers our here to serve and protect.

So many experts in armchair La la land. What have you done lately for your community?

COMMENT 764915P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:30 PM

Good ol Chumash( chu-smash) highway. Rip. So sorry for the fire fighter and his wife...;(

COMMENT 764914P helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 09:01 PM

Lotsa insects -- all varieties -- are showing up right now.

COMMENT 764913 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 08:58 PM

887P,
Thank you.

COMMENT 764912 helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 08:52 PM

Entertaining to watch! My kids called them 'bumblebugs' because of their crazy flying. Just enjoy their antics - they are harmless.

COMMENT 764911 helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 08:42 PM

Skeeter

COMMENT 764910 helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 08:42 PM

Yep, crane flies also known as 'mosquito eaters' even though they don't eat mosquitos. They are seasonal and harmless.

COMMENT 764909 helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 08:39 PM

Crane fly is right and they are right on time and all in my house!

COMMENT 764908P helpful negative off topic

Lawn Watering Ban Lifted

2017-03-21 08:36 PM

“We’re fortunate that increased water supplies will help us meet needs during high summer use periods so the lawn watering ban can be lifted,” said Water Resources Manager, Joshua Haggmark, “but we are still in a drought and water conservation remains a top priority for our community.”

Mr. Haggmark has mastered the political art of double-speak, known in non political circles as speaking out of both sides of one's mouth at the same time!

You can go ahead and waste our short supply of water on your lawns if you can afford the cost, but we still have a drought, so conserve water even as you are wasting it on watering!

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 08:35 PM

@899: Sadly, I'm afraid you're 100% right.

COMMENT 764906P helpful negative off topic

Bug ID

2017-03-21 08:32 PM

you can't get rid of them, they come every year. harmless but annoying. Crane flies

COMMENT 764903 helpful negative off topic

Lawn Watering Ban Lifted

2017-03-21 08:23 PM

Ah, now I can expand my beautiful lawn. I was worried I wouldn't be able to water it appropriately.

COMMENT 764902 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 08:21 PM

886 it's unconstitutional that I pay property taxes on my house but people park in front of it to live and they don't pay taxes!!!

COMMENT 764901 helpful negative off topic

Lawn Watering Ban Lifted

2017-03-21 08:19 PM

Thank goodness the city and the naysayers are finally admitting the back of the drought has been broken. Several of us have been saying this for sometime. Glad to see it official.

COMMENT 764900 helpful negative off topic

Car Crash on Cliff?

2017-03-21 08:17 PM

I did. It sounded like a loud door slam from my neighbor's house so I paid no attention to it.

COMMENT 764899 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 08:15 PM

C'mon REX, you've got enough mileage on you to know that if you give a person a partial story the mind automatically fills in the blanks to help make sense of it. Your comment is a bit like blaming the press for the activities of the tweeter-in-chief.

COMMENT 764898 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 08:12 PM

Who cares why it happened...I mean, it's just your tax dollars and those are nearly inexhaustible.

COMMENT 764897 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 08:05 PM

749, you're wrong and 705 is right. I have been privy to the discussions re this ordinance. Yes, the city will be sued (and I know by whom) if it doesn't deal more equitably with those impacted. FYI, it was a series of suits against the city in the first place that caused all of the previous RV parking signs to be installed. And the suit has been drafted and is waiting for enforcement to begin. Enforcement will not begin until issues regarding handicap placards and permits for out-of-towners and other issues have been dealt with. That's straight from the city attorney and city Council.
Whether or not Goleta has been sued is irrelevant. Santa Barbara has been sued over these issues in the past and will be again. Count on it.

COMMENT 764896P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:56 PM

Speaking about ears plugged! The data on dog attacks clearly show that pit bulls are dangerous. Plug your eyes and ears all you want, but that fact does not change. Feel free to endanger yourself, but put some thought toward those around you.

Entitlement, sentimentality and super-optimism. Just like the poorly reasoned argument and logical irrelevancies of 873's screed.

COMMENT 764895 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:48 PM

Here's an idea - without "controlling" rent:

Set a cap on rents by requiring owners to provide their mortgage information.

Allow them to charge rents that no more than "X" percent of their mortgage.

And watch how they run to get their OWN jobs to make ends meet! Or hey buddy, can't afford to own that home? Move somewhere cheaper. Done deal.

STOP MAKING RENTERS SUBSIDIZE YOUR HOMES.

COMMENT 764894 helpful negative off topic

Car Crash on Cliff?

2017-03-21 07:45 PM

CHP driving through for reason(s) unknown?

COMMENT 764893 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:39 PM

Tell me about the cat owning neighbors, I used to go out and see rabbits playing out in my yard and lizards all over my driveway. Last week I heard this weird shrieking sound I have never heard before and found one of my neighbors cats had cornered a baby bunny and I had to chase that cat away.

COMMENT 764892 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:35 PM

what draws me to them? their heart, loyalty, unwavering eye contact, intelligence, personality, unconditional love, and many more.
Their origins do NOT mean that every one is innately mean. The VAST majority of pit bulls are friendly creatures who are wonderful family pets, yet all you hear about in the news are the negatives, and even if there are positives, you apparently just sit there plugging your ears, screaming NANANA...
Only 2 of the 50+ dogs rescued from Michael Vick were put down. The rest were rehabilitated and placed into homes with other dogs and children and some even became therapy dogs that visited hospitals. If these dogs were truly, innately vicious, how on earth do you explain the fact that once rescued, these dogs became docile, loving family dogs? I implore you to open your heart and open your mind. Advocating for the killing of all pit bulls just because they were born a certain breed is pitiful and disturbing.

COMMENT 764891 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:19 PM

873: I never thought about it like that before, and your comment has changed how I feel about pit bulls. Prior to reading your comment, I thought pit bulls were the type of dog breed that would be used for dog fighting, and would be very good at it....dog fighting/biting/killing and such. Now I have a different opinion, so thank you for your insight.

COMMENT 764890P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:55 PM

So happy Enzo is doing well. Best to you, Enzo. I hope you and your owner soon overcome your traumatic experience. As my dear old Mum used to say: "If you're alive, things are bound to happen to you."

COMMENT 764889 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:50 PM

873 - Big difference, dog breeds are entirely man made. We bred traits into dogs. Man literally selected every breed type and trait. A blood hound has an innately superior sense of smell because man bred that trait into it, likewise pits have aggression bred into them. It is not some sort of dog racism to acknowledge man made traits. Dogs are bred to be superior/inferior man is not. Your equating the two is foolish and kind of racist in itself.

COMMENT 764888P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:46 PM

By the way, kiddies: the word is "brakes."

COMMENT 764887P helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 06:43 PM

775. You need to do some research on marijuana and its effects on young and still maturing brains.

I have a significant other who truly wishes he had never started smoking pot. He began smoking it at age 15 and it has been a monkey on his back ever since. He likens it to a "wet blanket" and has used it his entire life to avoid dealing with reality. He recently quit and we both hope he can beat his addiction to pot.

When I was in High School my friends and I used to smoke to "expand our minds." I quit at age 22 when I realized my short-term memory was being adversely affected.

It was fun smoking Lebanese hash and Afghani hash oil and Thai stick and all that "special" stuff. My friends could not believe I quit and I received a lot of peer pressure to start up again.

Pot smoking isn't healthy. It may help increase appetite and alleviate some ailments, but I would never EVER advocate that anyone start smoking it recreationally, especially when that person is a young person.

COMMENT 764886 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:42 PM

Watch the issue as it unfolds in Los Angeles.

A federal appeals court says a Los Angeles law that bars people from living in parked vehicles is unconstitutional.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that the 1983 law was vaguely written and discriminates against homeless and poor people. The three-judge panel ruled the law "opens the door to discriminatory enforcement against the homeless and the poor."

COMMENT 764885 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:41 PM

870: youd know if you blew a tire. unknown.

COMMENT 764884 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:37 PM

Yes many plausible causes such as hydroplaning. IF he blew a tire, etc. then say so. But since the cause is "unknown" I suspect none of the legitimate causes are at fault.

COMMENT 764883 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:33 PM

786P - you need renters to subsidize your mortgage and property taxes. Otherwise, you'd have to pay them yourself or have to move.

ALL of you high-horsed homeowners telling renters to leave can shove it. What would you be left with? A bunch of crotchety, entitled owners fighting over RV parking and no one to serve your food, sell it in the grocery stores, read your gas meters, fix your cars, mow your lawns, draw your blood, take your vital signs and file your charts, teach your grandkids, etc.

This is NOT a matter of low-income laborers not being able to afford SB. This IS a matter of the middle class, full-time individuals or even two income families being priced out of their own communities.

Solely for being a "homeowner" does not make this solely your community.

COMMENT 764882 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:29 PM

"Nobody has a "right" to live here, as in at the price I can afford. That is absurd thinking."

Agree 10000000000%

COMMENT 764881 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 06:28 PM

State Farm is my renters insurance. They don't judge unless the individual dog has been deemed vicious. Wonderful company, I love them!!!

COMMENT 764880P helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 05:58 PM

A beautiful poem!

COMMENT 764879 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:54 PM

Thank you _777 for providing some facts for the discussion. Ask an insurance agent about homeowners coverage for pit bull owners and on what factual basis the insurance company has established that policy.

COMMENT 764878P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:46 PM

It's the entitlement and sociopathy speaking. Notice the JD.

COMMENT 764877 helpful negative off topic

Carpinteria Receives Grant for Bluf...

2017-03-21 05:42 PM

+2. I am happy to have contributed a couple hundred $ to this effort, anony-mouse-ly. It's easy to take open space for granted, until the story poles go up!

COMMENT 764876 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:40 PM

873 - With such sterling credentials, what draws you to own such a breed? Honestly curious.

2017-03-21 05:38 PM

I heard them say it was a Charger thanks @852...

SWARFMASTER helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:36 PM

726 How about humans being killed by a mountain lion. Same play different actors. Duh!

COMMENT 764872 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:30 PM

I'm sorry you have such large obsticles to overcome in your neighborhood. Ugh the stuff we have to put up with

COMMENT 764871 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:24 PM

Ill take hydroplaning for 500

COMMENT 764870 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:20 PM

I agree with Rex, he could have blown a tire, lost his breaks, hit a big puddle or had other mechanical issues...and yet everyone has to give their uncalled for speculation. I hope the officer is okay and glad that no one else was involved.

COMMENT 764869 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:14 PM

Rex, somehow I think probably not as foolish as the officer does.

COMMENT 764868 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:08 PM

Enzo's doing pretty good for a dog who "had its neck almost completely severed". Must be a helluva good vet. Or maybe, just maybe, some folks are prone to exaggeration and histrionics.

To the dog picker-uppers, guess why the other dogs want to sniff you and approach in a manner that is likely uncomfortable? And what are you teaching your dog? BE AFRAID! I understand your thinking, but might not be the best thing in the long run. If the other party's dog is truly vicious, do you really want it jumping on you? If your little dog is so terrified, it seems cruel to take it out where it may encounter the source of its fear, then for you to reinforce it. Better to find a big gentle dog to let your pet get acquainted with and reduce its anxiety, and coincidentlay yours.

COMMENT 764867P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:08 PM

Another informative tidbit:
A 2006 study from the Journal of Interpersonal Violence revealed that owners of vicious dogs were significantly more likely to have criminal convictions for aggressive crimes, drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, crimes involving children and firearms.

These findings were confirmed in a 2009 report published in the Journal of Forensic Sciences. The authors of that report wrote, "Vicious dog owners reported significantly more criminal behaviors than other dog owners," and they were ranked "higher in sensation seeking and primary psychopathy."

And a 2011 study, also in the Journal of Forensic Sciences, found that "vicious dog owners reported significantly higher criminal thinking, entitlement, sentimentality and super-optimism tendencies. Vicious dog owners were arrested, engaged in physical fights, and used marijuana significantly more than other dog owners."

COMMENT 764866 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:05 PM

@810 - After the dog loses it's balance and falls over, don't let go of the feet. The dog will NOT be able to get at you.

It's been my experience, after using this technique, the dog is confused, and runs off. Probably, because I was able to dominate the dog.

COMMENT 764865 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:04 PM

Sounds like reckless operation to me. Anyone else?

COMMENT 764864 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:03 PM

i don't mind my neighbors, co-workers and fellow santa barbarians parking their personal vehicles by their residences. i do mind the growing population of car livers dropping their trash, changing clothes in public or performing other hygiene while i try to walk my dog around them. and yep i pick up so they should. I mind them taking up parking spaces the that the city grinds the business for.

COMMENT 764863P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:01 PM

748. Former Samsung dryer owner?

COMMENT 764862P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 05:01 PM

The pictures look awful.

COMMENT 764861 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:59 PM

I drove by right after it happened and about a dozen people were looking over the side of the cliff as if a car had gone over the edge but not sure. I did see the Prius that was crumpled up and from the looks of it, no one could've survived that. RIP

COMMENT 764860P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:59 PM

Officer crashes vehicle solo, unknown reasons. Oops.

COMMENT 764859P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:55 PM

How awful. Condolences to the loved ones, family, all who knew the two who passed away.

COMMENT 764858 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:38 PM

People are insane, I often see a guy bike through shoreline ... followed by his pitbull a good 100ft behind him just running wild trying to keep up. Other times I see muscle bound pits with battle cropped ears (these are not rescues) being walked on a chain and yellow nylon rope as if they are just trying to intimidate people...

COMMENT 764857 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 04:38 PM

To 764769. It seems to me that writing poetry is a hobby not a job. I always made sure that I had a good job, did hobbies on the side. Thus I could afford to live and also contribute to the common good. .

This is an expensive town with public services that are very costly. Property taxes support many of these services and rentals help pay these taxes.

Of course, supply and demand is a big factor --especially in a town impacted by so much housing for out of town students.

COMMENT 764856 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 04:35 PM

My common sense tells me to just simply move out of the way as soon as it's safe to do so.

COMMENT 764855 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:35 PM

I just drove by. Looked like a high speed impact northbound, maybe the Prius spun out in the first turn of the double lane section then t-boned by the larger vehicle. Not good. It's been raining all day up there. Sorry to hear about the casualties, hope it isn't anyone I know. RIP.

COMMENT 764854P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:34 PM

Except the Prius was a Honda; and yes, the Honda occupants were the fatalities.

COMMENT 764853 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:27 PM

In the past twenty years, I've had two friends attacked by dogs, both dogs that they owned. Both were pit bulls. One person was scalped for the most part. The other friend was bitten on the arm and cornered in the house until help could arrive. I've witnessed a pitbull chase down a child with intent to kill (lucky owner was able to step on the leash.) I can't say I've seen this problem with ANY other breed of dog and I'm almost 50 years old.

COMMENT 764852 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:27 PM

KEYT has the story with a photo and it's a full size Dodge Ram P/U, not a Charger verses the Prius, so fatalities likely in the Prius.

COMMENT 764851 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:14 PM

776 and 793 - The Cat House Hotel administers meds and injections for an extra fee. I boarded my 19-year-old cat there, and neither his age nor his daily meds were ever an issue for them.

COMMENT 764850 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 04:13 PM

Now there is a deterrent if ever I heard one.

Line up 10 beer belly guys as guest speakers for the kiddies - the kind of beer belly with the massive 10 month pregnant gut with the little outie belly button.

Tell them if you drink you'll look like me, then have them take off their shirts for the coup de gras.

COMMENT 764849P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:13 PM

Free markets lead to exploitation, especially in an environment where the egotarians are cutting education budgets to insure a pool of uneducated supporters.

COMMENT 764848 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:11 PM

People defending pits and other bully breeds need to google "dog bite statistics" and discover for themselves how dangerous these dogs are. They were bred as weapons and that's what they remain no matter how sweet yours is to you. Keep them leashed and muzzled if you insist on disregarding the facts and owning one.

COMMENT 764847 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:11 PM

813 - Where has it been reported?

COMMENT 764846P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 04:09 PM

If only I could hose down my irresponsible cat-owning neighbors. Alas, I must let karma do its thing.

COMMENT 764845P helpful negative off topic

Carpinteria Receives Grant for Bluf...

2017-03-21 04:05 PM

What FLICKA said.

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:58 PM

Wow, not one, not two, not thee, but FIVE wildly speculative, yet completely groundless posts about the cause of this accident. Well-played, Edspeculators! Don't you all feel…oh, I don't know…foolish?

COMMENT 764843 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:57 PM

Thanks for the update, glad Enzo is on road to recovery!

COMMENT 764842 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 03:54 PM

Chacha- Not providing LTR is considered jacking renters to me because you are taking away a potential home from somebody that works and lives here, this is part of the problem. I understand you have the right to do what you want with your owned home but if you can't see that you are adding to SB rental problem then it's not even worth arguing.

I can't believe some of the comments people make on here :(

COMMENT 764841P helpful negative off topic

Rickie Lee Jones & Madeleine Peyrou...

2017-03-21 03:51 PM

My husband and I really enjoyed seeing Rickie Lee Jones back in the 90s? She was really good then. The last time we saw her......not so much, sorry.

COMMENT 764840P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:50 PM

@793 Ask at your pet hospital. Often the vet techs will do pet sitting as a side job (or know someone who will) for animals needing extra care. With older cats, it's important to keep the stress levels down. Whether that is boarding or in-home care is a conversation to have with your vet.

COMMENT 764839 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:48 PM

If there were a shortage of English teachers, their salaries would go up.

Free markets work. Controlled ones don't.

COMMENT 764838 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:47 PM

Must have hit a wet spot.... err, I mean slick patch. They just sneak up on you when you're not paying attention.

COMMENT 764837 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:39 PM

How about texting while driving? Hope he's ok though.

COMMENT 764836 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:36 PM

Lots of traffic Take Old San Marvos Pass if possible.! Sorry to hear about fatalities

COMMENT 764835 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:26 PM

If pit breeds aren't a problem, why did my home insurance carrier ask if I owned a pit breed dog? My car insurance doesn't question whether I drive a red car because there are no stats showing that red cars are involved in more accidents. So I can only surmise that there must be some statistical basis for homeowner insurance companies to inquire about the breed of dog.
Thank you to all of you responsible pit dog loving owners who keep them on leash. Those of us who are admittedly uncomfortable around pit breeds truly appreciate it.

COMMENT 764834 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:19 PM

"unknown reason". I'm going out on a limb here and suggest the officer knows the reason. I plan to use that defense if I ever have an accident. I would prefer this officer not return to behind-the-wheel duties if he crashes for "unknown reasons".

COMMENT 764833 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:17 PM

I thought that I heard that the CHP here discontinued all Crown Vics?

COMMENT 764832P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:17 PM

Beautiful upper Garden is looking pretty shabby with those 3 old junker RVs parked along there as people are heading to the mission. Would be nice to get rid of the graffiti painted on that green mesh in front of the construction project around the corner. Libertarians: if you were selling your house, you bet you would clean up your property and try to get your neighbors to clean up theirs, to include getting rid of illegally parked trailers, RVs, etc. So, sucking it up doesn't quite work when your pocketbook might suffer.

COMMENT 764831P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:16 PM

Yes. Noozhawk reports the 2:35PM accident left two dead and two injured: one with moderate injuries, one with minor injuries.

COMMENT 764830 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:15 PM

Another city council fail. Drain the swamp

COMMENT 764829P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:14 PM

825 - and jail time for you for assaulting another person who is posing no threat (ie, not attacking you so self defense doesn't apply).

COMMENT 764828 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:14 PM

2 fatalities and 2 others injured.

COMMENT 764827 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:13 PM

Interesting that no speed was mentioned. I constantly see cops driving in very unsafe ways. Saw one going about 100 mhp last week on the freeway and had to slam on the breaks to avoid rear ending someone (no light or sirens). He was probably typing on his computer or phone as well. But we all know cops have super powers that make them immortal and won't hurt anyone else in a crash.

2017-03-21 03:12 PM

If I hear more I will post CHP Website for info also.

COMMENT 764825 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:11 PM

Pepper spray. For the attacking dog and its owner as well.

2017-03-21 03:11 PM

Black Toyota Prius and a Black Dodge Charger...

COMMENT 764823 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 03:09 PM

The youth need to be informed on one of the great dangers of alcohol, its high amount of calories. Mix alcohol with sodas and you gain weight in no time! I learned my lesson.

2017-03-21 03:07 PM

I can hardly hear anything down here

2017-03-21 03:04 PM

Ah Gee horrible Thank You MOUNTAINMAN was afraid of that...Sad.

2017-03-21 03:03 PM

Radio breaking up cannot hear too good heard there was a yellow tag= non life threatening injury did not hear if there were any more injuries but heard the vehicles were blocking WB Lanes don't know if they still are...

COMMENT 764819P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:03 PM

525. Please enlighten us as to how one can tell, on sight, whether or not a female dog has been spayed.

MOUNTAINMAN4865 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:02 PM

Sounds like 2 fatalities, waiting for extrication. Near Windy Gap.

COMMENT 764817 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 03:02 PM

776 - I totally understand. I've had many geriatric kitties over the years who required sub-Q fluids as well as meds. Luckily I have a friend who, like me, has a medical background and loves kitties. She was the only one to care for my cats while I was away which limited my comings and goings.

Please let me know if I can help. You can reach me at:
Joesmom at live dot com.

COMMENT 764816 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:56 PM

@756 I don't know about you but I want my kid's school to have english teachers. The fact is businesses are struggling to remain in the area due to home prices. If you went into a business that depends on high skill/professional labor you would understand.

COMMENT 764815 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Concrete Pouring

2017-03-21 02:46 PM

Love the comments that the OP should learn to love the noise. Obviously from people that don't live near the construction site. Imagine the complaints those people would have if their precious sleep was interrupted.

What is the attitude of the City towards disruptions to people that live in the area? I'd call the City and your CouncilMember and give them an earful.

COMMENT 764814P helpful negative off topic

Hope Ranch Power Outage

2017-03-21 02:42 PM

Power back on Just a short bit ago!

COMMENT 764813 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:38 PM

794, the fact that you will be happy at a dog being killed who had the misfortune of having an idiot owner makes you a hater.

If you said that you reluctantly would support the euthanization to ensure the safety of the community, then maybe you wouldn't be a hater.

No reasonable person takes pleasure in the killing of another sentient creature.

COMMENT 764812 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 02:38 PM

651. It would be nice to get the opportunity of taking wAter balloons to a friend or your families funeral just to have some laughs.

COMMENT 764811 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:33 PM

937 towns/cities in the US have breed specific legislation banning pit bulls. I'd say this breed is a health and safety issue.

COMMENT 764810P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:32 PM

Pick up a pit bull's hind leg(s) and lift. Pit bull will lose balance, spit out dog it has chosen to kill, and refocus on you.

read complete comment thread

CHACHA helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 02:32 PM

635, I'm sympathetic to you to a point. It's tough, and I mean this sincerely, that costs have gone up so much. Personally, I have put pretty much every dime into my house and rental, I have personally done the work to rebuild/improve a couple of homes over the last three decades--I have done bathrooms, laid tile and wood floors, drywalled, built decks, painted god knows how many times, borrowed money to pay for supplies, and paid a boatload of property tax for a long time all so that I can get to a point where I make money on my rental that adds to my quality of life. I don't jack up the rents on people, only raised rent once in ten years, by ten percent. I had a crazy tenant though, and didn't want to go through THAT again, so I went STR and I make some more money with that, and it's work, because I manage it and clean it and deal with people's requests 24/7--and where I am STRs are legal, so you can cap any comments on that right now. So, I'm not greedy, at least I don't think I am. Maybe you should stop for a minute and think about the kind of work that people have to put into buying a home in this area and not assume that everyone is jacking renters all the time.

If I do end up going LTR again someday, I won't be looking for the highest rent, I will be looking for quality people first and foremost. You can change your life if you want, figure out a communal living situation, find something further out, move, whatever it is, but your attitude is that of a victim. It's all up to you, ultimately.

COMMENT 764808 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 02:28 PM

Must pose quite the conundrum to address alcohol use whilst wedged in between the tasting rooms of the former Funk Zone, the bars of State Street and the thousands of acres of vineyards and their wineries just over the hills.

Rather than being naysayers, perhaps we should teach them how to imbibe with a modicum of sense.

Battery Assault at Beach

2017-03-21 02:24 PM

Who cares what they think with our new president there will be many more camps up people are just living their lives there best way they can leave them alone.

COMMENT 764806 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:23 PM

This law is so ridiculous. Fed Ex, Marboorg, UPS, Firetrucks, ambulance, contractor trucks, food and beverage trucks, semi trucks, road work equipment, roll-off box trucks, food trucks, taco trucks all pose the so called hazards yet they have been around for ever. If the City Councel used any logic, they would need to remove all the above vehicles from the streets. I wish they would just enforce the over night vehicles/ campers on the streets, this would help us all. Sprinter Vans were actually designed for narrow European streets, if you look at them they are a hair wider than a car and get excellent fuel mileage with smal v-6 and 4 cylinder Diesel engines.

COMMENT 764805 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 02:22 PM

In respect to the deceased, drop back, turn on your headlights, and follow the last car in the procession.

COMMENT 764804 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:20 PM

Ahhhh, Summerbreeze, Seals & Crofts, makes me feel fine and one of my favorites to make me smile all through life, sends me right back to my childhood and seeing that curtain with mom behind it in the kitchen making dinner. Thanks for the memory. We've been watching an alligator lizard we rescued from a cat in our yard, it's tail is growing back and it's getting larger every year, pretty cool!

COMMENT 764803 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:20 PM

I would have rather been an English teacher, but instead I went into business so I could afford to live in SB.

Folks who work in non-lucrative fields, like writing, art, etc., have no right to special rents so that they can afford to live in SB.

COMMENT 764802 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 02:17 PM

@770 lol missed the freeway part!! SO in that case, move over :D

COMMENT 764801 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 02:15 PM

775- It may be healthier, but it is not healthy. And should not promoted as such to "start them young". I say this as someone who has used marijuana for 25 years and still does.

COMMENT 764800 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:13 PM

@525 ---- I really don't think ANYONE is happy about this incident ...

@184 ---- Yes, 8 million Pits, usually do not attack their owners, or animals or humans in their own pack....

As a dog walker, and trainer, there is one method that I've used, that really works and is easy.

Get behind the attacking dog, and grab hold of both their back feet and LIFT up, and the dog will lose balance, fall over and run away.

Grab back feet of attacking dog, hold tight, lift up till the dog falls over. Works every time.

Grab one back leg or even one back foot, hold tight, lift up till dog loses balance and falls over. The attacking dog will run off.

Police can run partial plate, and get the registered owners info.

COMMENT 764799 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:12 PM

726P - Coyotes?

COMMENT 764798 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:12 PM

Pit Bull owner here... not a menace to society, not a gang member, just an average white girl in her mid 40's who is a very productive member of society. I have seen a pitt bull attack another dog and lifting the hind legs off the ground is the most effective measure to stop the fight. I have seen Jack Russels attack other dogs and the hitting and kicking works for those aggressive dogs. I have seen Golden Retrievers and Labs threaten and snap - not much you can do there other than lift the hind legs. Animals are animals, dogs are dogs and if you cannot handle them being violent to each other, then I suggest you get rid of your pet, because THEY ALL HAVE A VIOLENT SIDE.

COMMENT 764797 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:10 PM

Recently visited San Roque Pet Hospital - they provide cat boarding.

COMMENT 764796 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:09 PM

778- Exactly! That's why we need rent control so all the landlords that are only hanging on by a thread by charging WAY too much money for their rentals can either get a day job to subsidize their OWN life or move. Rent control, rent control.......

COMMENT 764795 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:03 PM

To all of the people posting that pitbull attacks are not surprising and think that asking for a ban on the breed is necessary:

Even if a pitbull (or any dog for that matter) IS aggressive against other dogs, it is the owner who takes the responsibility of keeping their dog on leash, with a muzzle, or away from parks where dogs frequent.

If you adopt, you are told about their personalities and habits so that you do not put themselves or any other animals in harms way. If you raise a dog, you socialize them to be non-aggressive companions.

That goes for ALL dog breeds.

Just because a small chihuahua isn't as strong as a pitbull, it doesn't excuse the many times I've seen them try to attack other dogs, but no one cares to ban them because they are more easily managed at such small height/weight. Same goes for terriers and many other breeds I am sure.

COMMENT 764794 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 02:00 PM

782 - Not a hater, but will be happy if the offending pit is put down and the owner prohibited from ever owning another.

COMMENT 764793 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:54 PM

776, I wish there were answers. I have an old cat and need to give him subcutaneous fluids twice a week and also daily medication, and syringe feed at night to make sure he gets enough nutrition. Regular cat boarding or pet sitting probably wouldn't provide this. We need specialized eldercare for cats.

2017-03-21 01:51 PM

I am sorry that Enzo got attacked and I am sorry that the attacking dog will most likely be put down the owner of the dog who attacked should be in jail.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Carpinteria Receives Grant for Bluf...

2017-03-21 01:50 PM

This is wonderful news. Our 52 acre Carpinteria Bluffs Nature Preserve was saved from grossly excessive development because the Land Trust partnered with local citizens in the 1990s to buy and preserve the land in perpetuity. Open space is important to the well being of everyone.

Maintenance Man Caught in Shower

2017-03-21 01:47 PM

You touched no nerve everyone learns things in life and from what I have learned I believe that to be true from my own personal experiences....

COMMENT 764789P helpful negative off topic

Ballard Spring

2017-03-21 01:42 PM

Awesome pic! I know that corner well...nice to see it looking so pretty.

COMMENT 764788 helpful negative off topic

Old is the New New

2017-03-21 01:38 PM

Thank you UCSB!

COMMENT 764787 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:33 PM

778-and nobody has a "right" to make rental prices that are unpractical, that is an absurd practice to say the least!

772-agreed

Absolutely on rent control!

COMMENT 764786P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:30 PM

Yes, I need to have other people subsidize my housing through rent control, otherwise I'll either have to get a job or move someplace else.

COMMENT 764785P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:27 PM

782 - Unfortunately, you may be right.

COMMENT 764784 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:24 PM

768, if a truck is parked in a red zone and blocking the lines of sight, take a picture and contact the offending driver's supervisor. Remind the supervisor of their liability if the illegally parked vehicle causes an accident.

I nearly got run over by a car I couldn't see due to a USPS truck blocking the sightline. I got pics and contacted the post office. The mail carrier has not parked like that since.

The Police take a hands off approach unless a complaint is made. But if you complain they will address the situation.

COMMENT 764783 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 01:22 PM

I would just go on Edhat and complain about the 4 minutes of lost time that the funeral took from your life.

/end irony

COMMENT 764782 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:21 PM

Has been reported that a 3-legged pit has been confiscated and is in lockdown at the County Shelter. That dog will probably never make it out of the shelter alive. Hope that makes all the haters out there happy.

COMMENT 764781 helpful negative off topic

Maintenance Man Caught in Shower

2017-03-21 01:19 PM

@Rodger

Guess I touched a nerve.

The only people who are offended . . . that is an incorrect statement. Some people are offended when bias and opinion kicks in and portrayed as facts. You are correct. I do not know you, I just know what you write.

Flicka - a thicker wallet does not give anyone any more rights than those whose is thinner. That is an elitist attitude. He should report, not extrapolate and make false assumptions. Libel laws exist for a reason.

read complete comment thread

JOHN WILEY helpful negative off topic

Leapin Lupine

2017-03-21 01:18 PM

Seems so long since we've seen the Santa Clara River running past SZP. Today's rain here in SB was nice, and maybe we'll have more. The SBC Rain site has Painted Cave area at almost 2" and even over 2/3" along the eastern SY River watershed. Will we still have water in the SY into Summer?! :)

COMMENT 764779 helpful negative off topic

Maintenance Man Caught in Shower

2017-03-21 01:14 PM

In every clean mind resides some dirt.

COMMENT 764778 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:13 PM

COMMENT 764777 helpful negative off topic

Leapin Lupine

2017-03-21 01:05 PM

Beautiful! Several different scenes, so much to see in a short time from the air!

COMMENT 764776 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 01:05 PM

When I had my 20 yr old cat nobody would sit for her; boarded or in home. It was terribly frustrating.

COMMENT 764775 helpful negative off topic

Underage Drinking Town Halls

2017-03-21 01:00 PM

Hopefully they will be discussing the benefits of promoting to teens how Marijuana is a healthy alternative to Alcohol. You should start them young, then maybe in the future the number of adult drinkers will decrease. It may prevent the tragedy that Mr Dies is trying to eliminate ( someone who makes a living serving alcohol, gets run down by someone who drinks and drives.. all in the middle of alcohol culture) promotion as an alternative will make a bigger impact than abstinence.

COMMENT 764774 helpful negative off topic

Maintenance Man Caught in Shower

2017-03-21 12:51 PM

If he wasn't guilty or doing any wrong - why did he run away?!?

COMMENT 764773 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 12:51 PM

While the homeless and RV's are a problem, it is a tiny part of the larger problem; too many people on too little land with too few resources. With such extremely limited supply of the above, it becomes dog eat dog with no mercy for anyone. Not fun.
There are huge houses, tall buildings, and traffic where once there were open, green spaces, views of mountains and sea, and our biggest complaint was the stop lights on 101. The demise of SB has not been caused by the homeless or their RV's, but by all the entitled people who moved in, and local government that encouraged unsustainable growth. Some of us liked the sleepy town it was in the 70's, and have had to move elsewhere to regain those qualities.
In our case we had to move half way 'round the world to find them, but we did it. When asked if we miss SB, we reply, "The SB we knew and loved left us years ago. We missed the old SB for years before we left, but that sense of loss vanished once we moved on to a better place."

COMMENT 764772 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 12:31 PM

I'm definitely in favor of rent control. I've remained in Santa Barbara for years after obtaining my English Lit degree at UCSB. Its nearly impossible to find affordable housing and I've been forced to rent a small room in a house. I have just as much right as the next person to live here in Santa Barbara. YES on rent control.

COMMENT 764771 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 12:31 PM

756-The point isn't about being able to afford to live in SB, the point is people are charging thousands of dollars for crappy ass houses that are NOT even worth that amount of rent, that is not ok. That needs to end. Many people feel the same so I'm sorry but your wrong an I'm sorry your so well off to see that.

COMMENT 764770 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 12:25 PM

No, 701. Do not pull over on the freeway.

COMMENT 764769 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 12:22 PM

I'm all for rent control. I rent a small room in a house because I can't afford to pay rent for a whole apartment. I've been busting my butt for years writing poetry and find it nearly impossible to pay rent that way. You might say I'm unappreciated and undervalued. YES on rent control.

COMMENT 764768 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 12:16 PM

I should have stopped and taken a photo, but the other day while driving home I couldn't help but notice a very large City of Santa Barbara truck, parked in the Red zone, blocking the view of the intersection. It seems that the worst offenders of blocking site lines at intersections are the vehicles that have been made exempt from the new ordinance ... like FedEx, UPS, USPS, Marborg and City vehicles. Even if this ordinance was drafted to omit the Homeless Rv's from the streets of Santa Barbara, it does highlight the need for safe site lines at our intersections. And NO vehicle should be allowed to block those site lines without a flag person directing traffic

COMMENT 764767 helpful negative off topic

World TB Day

2017-03-21 12:08 PM

Of course, there are domestic and international sources of TB in the US. Would it be safe to assume that developed countries are more successful in TB surveillance, treatment, and control than poorer ones? I've never understood why public health officials here have been so demure about border enforcement, except that their political bosses would be displeased or that they have decided to ignore some tenets of epidemiology.

COMMENT 764765 helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 3/20/17

2017-03-21 12:05 PM

"All units in the area, be on the lookout for a subject carrying two large bongs."

COMMENT 764764P helpful negative off topic

Old is the New New

2017-03-21 12:05 PM

In other words, cleaning up the way in which computers and cellphones and other such related electronics are dismantled and recycled. Isn't all that processing done in other countries? (Shamefully so.)

COMMENT 764763 helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 11:58 AM

713. Mr. Brilliant's epigrams are sheer poetry. His PotShots are published locally and in many other states and countries. He has written many books. He gives guest lectures and also reads his short stories for local elementary school children. Yes, he does create some of his own illustrations, too.

His talents are many. Poet Laureate would be well-deserved.

COMMENT 764762P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:51 AM

We've used the Humane Society in the past and it's really nice. They don't seem to want old cats though.

COMMENT 764761 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Concrete Pouring

2017-03-21 11:44 AM

As someone who had a view of the work out my window, there were a whole lot of trucks (lined up from the worksite at Mason and State, around the corner onto Chapala, and back to Carrillo. So about 1.5 blocks, and 20-25 idling trucks at any one time) queued up to feed the pump truck that morning. I think they finished pouring between 10 and 11. So conservatively, I'd put it at 4 hours of trucks cycling through there.

I'm beginning to wonder if West Beach will ever get back to a quiet construction-free area. If you count the residential, hotel, and infrastructure projects in the area, there are 5 projects in about a 1 block radius from the Chapala and Mason intersection.

COMMENT 764760 helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 11:43 AM

Do people get paid for this job? (No snark, please, honestly want to know.)

COMMENT 764759 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:42 AM

It's not economical to live here any more. I've been here 23 years. I'm leaving.

COMMENT 764758 helpful negative off topic

Battery Assault at Beach

2017-03-21 11:41 AM

It's disgraceful. Same as the tents right along the freeway. Whole campgrounds set up, with laundry drying on the fence and little grills set up. Old mattresses strewn about.

Take the Surfliner train from SLO to San Diego. The tracks along Santa Barbara have by far the most homeless camps set up right between the freeway and the train. You will see people urinating and defecating, drinking, fighting, cooking. It starts when you hit Goleta and it stops when you get past Carpinteria. You don't see those camps in LA or San Diego or any place in between. Can you imagine what tourists think???

ANIMALLISTNER helpful negative off topic

Philip S. Gadon

2017-03-21 11:41 AM

So sorry for your loss Lynn. Godspeed Phil....sending love and prayers.

COMMENT 764756 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:39 AM

You can't "get control of your housing, SB."

Trying to control rents is like trying to control the weather.

It's impossible. With rent control on some apartments, the supply of free market apartments would decrease and rents for the majority would rise even higher.

The solultion is simple. If you can't afford to live in SB, move somewhere cheaper. There are thousands and thousands of other places to live. The choice is yours.

COMMENT 764755 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 11:32 AM

Renters will never move out if they are coming here for school, 25,000 for UCSB and another 30,000 for SBCC. And they will live 4 to a bedroom for the few years that they are here. Add to that the loss of housing due to STRs and you have a perfect storm allowing landlords to make a killing. Hopefully they are paying their state taxes on the profits so at least the State is benefiting.

The service industry employees will move to Oxnard and Lompoc and join the army of commuters clogging up the freeway during rush hours. Have you noticed how the traffic improves when it rains? The service people get to take a day off!

COMMENT 764754 helpful negative off topic

Rickie Lee Jones & Madeleine Peyrou...

2017-03-21 11:32 AM

Not very well attended. I think they gave away more tickets than they sold. This could have taken place at the more intimate Lobero.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Traffic Accident Highway 101 at Mis...

2017-03-21 11:32 AM

Engine 7 can handle off the freeway engine one can cancel...minor injuries.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Traffic Accident Highway 101 at Mis...

2017-03-21 11:31 AM

Crash at 500 West Mission...

COMMENT 764751 helpful negative off topic

World TB Day

2017-03-21 11:24 AM

Whatever happened to that immigrant from SM that had the antibiotic resistant form of the disease but refused to be quarantined and took off? Did they ever catch him?

Talk about a scary disease!

COMMENT 764750 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:23 AM

Google "Cat House"

COMMENT 764749 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:21 AM

705, you are making things up. The city will enforce it when the signs are up and the permit system is in place. Of course they are moving at a snail's pace as usual so it will probably be summer by the time it gets rolling.

Goleta hasn't been sued over their RV ordinance, why would SB be sued? Aren't there any civil libertarians in Goleta?

COMMENT 764748 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:20 AM

must be a Samsung dryer

COMMENT 764747 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:20 AM

I'm always struck by how much easier it is for folks to sic the law onto neighbours over annoyances than it is to just suck it up and stop being annoyed over petty stuff and just learn to get along.

Sadly "getting along" these days means always getting the other guy to do what you want. Thank you #MAGA

COMMENT 764746P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:19 AM

Quit subsidizing 20% of the homes so that the middle class can afford their rent or mortgage without paying someone elses.

COMMENT 764745 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:19 AM

The City may be "going after illegal short term rentals" but the fines are a joke.

To shut the illegal STRs down we have raise fines substantially and keep fining and collecting fines until they are shut down and taken off all short term rental websites.

2017-03-21 11:18 AM

Engine 5 released and heading home, Roger over and out for now.

2017-03-21 11:12 AM

Sure That is what I'm here for...... Thought I heard the Fire Personnel say everyone was safe no injuries...

COMMENT 764742P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:12 AM

We used the Cat House many years ago when we were remodeling our house and were very pleased with the care. The cats are allowed out of their cages (if they chose) and my daughter and I had a lot of fun visiting our cats and the others. If you would consider a pet sitter, I can recommend Santa Barbara Cat Sitting. The owner is very experienced and provides great service. You can find her on FB at https://www.facebook.com/SBCatsitting/ or email her at sbcatsitter@cox.net. She was a lead volunteer at ASAP for many years and can administer medications, if necessary.

COMMENT 764741 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 11:11 AM

Really the only solution here will be when the renters start moving out, which is happening more an dmore. Too bad it will be too late then. These landlords who want others to subsidize their decisions will be in an even worse predicament when they lose tenants or can't find any, then they will realize that they will have to do what they should have done long ago - sell if you can't afford it and move somewhere you can.

COMMENT 764740 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:08 AM

There is definitely demand for a Cat House II. Every time I've gone there they were full full full and all the kitties getting along famously in the rather close quarters.

COMMENT 764739P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:08 AM

I really appreciate your reports, as I am in one of the mobile home parks right off of El Sueno and when there is a fire (at least in a mobile home park) it can spread to other homes very quickly so I get a bit nervous when I hear fire, structure, and El Sueno. Thanks RD!

2017-03-21 11:07 AM

Fire is knocked down in 10 minutes..

COMMENT 764737P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:07 AM

The oversize vehicle parking restrictions are ostensibly meant to improve visibility and maneuverability on the streets. Large parked vehicles block views when turning corners or pulling out of driveways, and encroach too much on narrow streets. They can also impair pedestrians' safety. Technically the ban is not meant to get rid of RV dwellers, though that is of course what prompted it. I'm all for it-- we've got people in our neighborhood using big boxy trucks (parked randomly throughout the area) as storage containers for their party rentals business. I guess it is cheaper than paying for a storage facility.

COMMENT 764736P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:05 AM

The SB Humane Society has very nice cat boarding facilities and the staff and volunteers take very good care of your cat. I don't normally board my cat because I have family and friends usually do it. But twice I needed to board my cat and once used the Humane Society and once The Cat House. At the Humane Society each cat has a private space that allows the cat to go in or outdoors (or just in if you prefer). The cats can see each other, but can't get to each other. It is also a much cheaper than The Cat House on De la Vina. My cat seemed unhappy and freaked out at The Cat House, but very relaxed at the Humane Society.

2017-03-21 11:03 AM

On Command 4....

COMMENT 764734 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 11:02 AM

The Cat House is the best. Another option is in home care, I used Snoopy's and would recommend them highly!

2017-03-21 11:00 AM

Engine 5 is responding SBCity Fire mutual aide...

2017-03-21 10:59 AM

Address is 525 El Sueno...

2017-03-21 10:58 AM

There is a working fire.

2017-03-21 10:57 AM

Lite smoke, single family, single story..The Sueno incident. working fire one additional engine and ambulance.

COMMENT 764729P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:56 AM

Keep me posted RD as I am in that area, and currently hear the sirens. Thanks.

2017-03-21 10:55 AM

I must have mis heard that?

2017-03-21 10:55 AM

Possible explosion thought I heard someone say the dryer..

COMMENT 764726P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:53 AM

Not false equivalency at all. That argument is used to dismiss uncomfortable facts that rebut a biased position that one holds for emotional or other non-rational reasons. Defending the failure of pet keepers to impose limits on the destruction their pet does because of the natural impulse of the pet to kill other things is not different than supportng a society that let alligators roam free to do their thing. Like it or not. BTW where would you draw the line between animals that are allowed to kill freely and those that are not and where would you draw the line between what they are allowed to kill and what they are not allowed to kill?

COMMENT 764725 helpful negative off topic

City Council to Discuss Tenant Righ...

2017-03-21 10:53 AM

@676, the landlord didn't hire you to do those things, so you don't get to deduct rent for your time and effort. Unless you come to an agreement, being difficult (in your own righteous way) will lead to eviction and perhaps a difficult time for you to find another willing landlord.

COMMENT 764723 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:46 AM

Yes, @712, the Cat House on De La Vina is still open.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Spring Has Sprung

2017-03-21 10:42 AM

They are all very nice. The gull is fantastic.

COMMENT 764721 helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 10:41 AM

Very pleasing, indeed!

And, in honor of World Poetry Day, I decided to spend the morning reading some poetry.

Interestingly, many of my favorites begin, "There once was a gal from Nantucket..."

COMMENT 764720 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:38 AM

Includes ANYTHING over ANY one of the sizes noted. Such as your expensive Sprinter soccer mom, family, or contractor vans. Your city council, at the constant urging of Randy Rouse, is responsible for this travesty in their zeal to remove motorhomes. $75,000 for 270 signs and yes the city will justifiably be sued for this discriminatory boondoggle.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Leapin Lupine

2017-03-21 10:38 AM

Whatever is putting on the color show, it surely is pretty. Thanks for all the nice photos.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:36 AM

Cats may not like boarding but if their owners will be gone and there is no one to take care of them, with boarding they will be safe. Best option. Good luck finding a place.

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 10:35 AM

Good stuff...

COMMENT 764716 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:33 AM

Owners and investors can rent out their houses and units for 3x the price of normal renting with short term rentals (like Airbnb) and not have to lock up their homes long-term. This is what is driving up the price of rentals.

2017-03-21 10:33 AM

No,no,no, Your not getting me..@700...I'll run on slow motion they will never catch me.

COMMENT 764714P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:31 AM

Cat boarding is available at the Santa Barbara Humane Society.

COMMENT 764713 helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 10:29 AM

Do you mean cartoonist?

COMMENT 764712 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:27 AM

Is the Cat House on De La Vina still around ?

COMMENT 764711 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:25 AM

And 692 wins the prize for false equivalency!

COMMENT 764710 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:24 AM

Does "affordable" housing mean there are going to be more complexes like the one on upper State Street or the ones the border the 101 near Milpas?

COMMENT 764709 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:20 AM

get these tweaker vans/rvs out of SB.

COMMENT 764708 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:18 AM

To discuss affordable housing? Lmfao, that is an oxymoron in our town.

Please go an voice your opinions people! It's the only way.

COMMENT 764707 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:15 AM

What about RVs that aren't "dwellers"?

COMMENT 764706 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:15 AM

An average 1-bedroom rents for $1900. An average 2-bedroom rents for $2500. These are on the lower end.

The median income is $49k/year, and about half that for the thousands of waitstaff, bartenders, kitchen and hotel workers in our city. Depending on your profession here, we are spending anywhere from 50%-75% of our incomes on rent alone.

It's not rocket science. GET CONTROL OF THE RENT, SB.

I know, I know, it's the funniest thing I've heard all day, too...

COMMENT 764705 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:15 AM

Not happy day, the city has stated they will not enforce it due to the potential lawsuits from civil liberties etc. The only hope is some might leave because of all the non enforceable signs the city wasted our money on.

COMMENT 764704P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:10 AM

700 - hope not because I'm both haha!

COMMENT 764703 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:09 AM

The AUD is: Anti-Worker, Anti-Renter, Anti-Family and pro-Gentrification.

Between Rent increases of 20% last year and the AUDs astronomical rental rates its no wonder moderate and middle income earners are fleeing the City. We need housing affordable to our workers and we are only getting housing for the top income earners in the City while everyone else is pushed out.

Why wouldn't Cathy Murrillo, Randy Rowse and Gregg Hart vote to pause the AUD? They could have simply changed the number of units in the trial to do this, but they refused. Now the AUD program will continue to run another 2 years with an untold number of projects proposed and approved before we can shut the door.

COMMENT 764702 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:05 AM

Waterboarding is bad enough, cat boarding is clearly torture. The cats are probably not too fond of it either.

COMMENT 764701 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 10:03 AM

Dude just pull over.

COMMENT 764700 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 10:02 AM

Next up - very tall or wide people on the sidewalks.

COMMENT 764699 helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 10:01 AM

697-I agree, he is, Brilliant!

COMMENT 764698P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:57 AM

Happy day. Get those behemoths off our City streets, out of our neighborhoods. Bye-bye.

COMMENT 764697P helpful negative off topic

Where the Hum Begins

2017-03-21 09:54 AM

I hope Ashleigh Brilliant is the new Poet Laureate. He should be recognized and honored as the most popular, talented, widely read poet we have here in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 764696 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 09:52 AM

I like these questions, they serve to remind of things that we might not remember. I rarely if ever have seen funeral procession cars have windshield markers.

I would just continue driving at the speed limit until the cop flashed their lights at me to get out of the way.

COMMENT 764695P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:49 AM

If they exceed the size limitations, then yes.

COMMENT 764694 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:48 AM

From the City's Website:
An oversized vehicle means a vehicle or combination of connected vehicles that exceed 25-feet long, or 6-feet 8 inches (80-inches) wide, or 6-feet 10-inches tall (82-inches).

The following are included in the measurements:

• Vehicle body, including anything permanently affixed to the vehicle (except as noted below).

Examples include:
o Spare tires
o Trailer hitches
o Roof racks

• Truck mounted cabs, campers, cabinets, or racks
• Sunroofs, skylights that project from the vehicle (assume closed position)

Pickup trucks under 25-feet long and 6-feet 10-inches high are excluded.

Get out your tape measures and start calling the city!

The City has not completed the necessary signage and permit system so is not enforcing it yet.

COMMENT 764693 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:48 AM

"Some people say his town dont look good in snow. You dont care, I know, oh oh oh oh oh oh...." :-) Thank you for the reminder, now I will be humming Ventura Highway by the band America all day now :-)

COMMENT 764692P helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:47 AM

688-just doing as nature dictates is a remarkably stupid defense. Should we just let alligators (real ones) run around eating our dogs, cats and small children for that reason? geez

COMMENT 764691 helpful negative off topic

Funeral Procession on the Freeway?

2017-03-21 09:43 AM

Really wondering what the point was of posting this question to edhat, have people forgotten (or never learned) how to google? "My question is, what are my obligations in this situation? Am I supposed to get out of the way? What if I don't? " This just seems like you want to stir up drama. Its a funeral, have some respect and change lanes. End of story.

SWARFMASTER helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:24 AM

688 Domestic cats are not part of nature.

COMMENT 764689 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Concrete Pouring

2017-03-21 09:21 AM

Why don't you provide the the part that states there will 12 concrete pumps and about 40 laborers plus several finishers.

COMMENT 764688 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 09:16 AM

687 - Instead of torturing the cat, who is just doing as nature dictates, why don't you give its owner that treatment?

COMMENT 764687 helpful negative off topic

2017-03-21 07:53 AM

A good two minute full pressure hose down will permanently change a cat's attitude. Gotta catch 'me first though, and the shower is a two person job, one to hold the feline firmly by the scruff, and the other to play fireman.

COMMENT 764686 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Concrete Pouring

2017-03-21 07:36 AM

Enlighten yourself by reading the building permit and planning documents pertinent to the project.

You armchair quarterbacks crack me up! One pumper…hahaha

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Animal Control Responds to Stray Po...

2017-03-21 07:18 AM

Me too gotta watch out for our little friends.

Battery Assault at Beach

2017-03-21 07:16 AM

I don't know perhaps because there are so many campers they at least know where some are...Either way this was not a Homeless involved crime.

COMMENT 764683 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Concrete Pouring

2017-03-21 07:16 AM

They've been working at night at the Cottage in Goleta for years(?) now. I can often hear the trucks after midnight.

read complete comment thread

MAXPILOT helpful negative off topic

Night and Day

2017-03-21 07:02 AM

So green and lush, who would have thought it could change so quick? :-)

read complete comment thread

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 4 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY