Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 78.3°F | Humidity: 33% | Pressure: 30.11in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15899 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 11/23/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 571870P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:57 PM

Cloud-seeding is a very, very well-known procedure. It has been going on since before CC/GW was ever talked about.

It is not the same as contrails. The fact that those are confusing, speaks volumes about understanding.

Cloud-seeding is only done a) when there are clouds b) the clouds are suitable for cloud-seeding c) it is local to the place that has clouds and needs rain d) it is probably never done on the east coast, especially around Buffalo.

Cloud-seeding can be done by man or by nature.

[wiki]The usual intent is to increase precipitation (rain or snow), but hail and fog suppression are also widely practiced in airports.

Cloud seeding also occurs due to ice nucleators in nature, most of which are bacterial in origin.[2]:

The first attempt to modify natural clouds in the field through "cloud seeding" began during a flight that began in upstate New York on 13 November 1946. [/wiki]

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:50 PM

GIGGLES: Before Randy Mantooth, former co-star of TV's "Emergency," got famous as an actor, he, too, parked cars as a valet on the wharf. One afternoon he accidentally ran a new Thunderbird off the pier into the water. The owner, a prominent LA doctor, and his wife were taking the scenic route to San Francisco and decided to stop at the Harbor Restaurant for lunch. Unfortunately, all their luggage was in the car, and wifey's mink coat and other accoutrements of gracious uber-richness were ruined, as well as the Thunderbird. Poor Randy lost his job over that.

BTW, if you ever run into Randy Mantooth, you might remind him that he still hasn't returned my 45-rpm record of Roger Miller's "Dang Me," which he borrowed in 1964.

COMMENT 571867 helpful negative off topic

Ice Skating Rink Breaks Ground

2014-11-23 03:48 PM

Woo-hoo!! Can't wait. Years ago I took a spill at the Ice Patch, smacking my knees on the ice and hobbling around for weeks. Looking forward to doing the same again!

COMMENT 571868 helpful negative off topic

Vince

2014-11-23 03:48 PM

Have had pits all my life. They are great dogs sweet natured, athletic and well behaved. It's the dog owners of all breeds that I worry about!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMENT 571866P helpful negative off topic

Carsyn

2014-11-23 03:46 PM

Adorable kitty! Tuxedos are the best!

COMMENT 571865P helpful negative off topic

Sunday Sunrise

2014-11-23 03:42 PM

Ahh...sunrises and sunsets in Santa Barbara are such a natural beauty for photographs.

COMMENT 571864P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:32 PM

855P here, again. I am amending my earlier comment: It is 19,000 2-inch and larger pieces that are "tracked." 500,000 pieces in all are "being tracked."

There are 20,000 pieces larger than softball size, which are being tracked. There are millions of pieces too small to track.

Average speed is 17,000mph. The 35,000mph speed I wrote of in earlier comment is a "combined speed" of two objects impacting, not one object hurtling along at 35,000mph.

Only about 1,000 of the objects are operating space craft.

COMMENT 571863 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:30 PM

To the chemtrail debunkers, Here is a link to the SB County Public Works page on 'cloudseeding'.

wwwDOTcosb.countyofsb.org/pwd/pwwater.aspx?id=3740

The first sentence reads, 'The Santa Barbara County Water Agency conducts a weather modification program better known as "cloudseeding" to augment rainfall and runoff in watersheds behind the major water reservoirs'.

Do your research people! There should be no debate on the existence of the spraying. However, debating the incentive for it can get a little cloudy.

read complete comment thread

MISTA helpful negative off topic

Fish Thief Sentenced to 6 Months

2014-11-23 03:23 PM

He is fortunate the authorities are dealing with him VS the other commercial fisherman who would have doled out a much harsher consequence...

COMMENT 571860P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:13 PM

Oh. And some of that junk can travel as fast as up to 35,000 mph. Kind of boggles the mind.

COMMENT 571859 helpful negative off topic

Two Men Sentenced 8 Years for Gang ...

2014-11-23 03:08 PM

Wonder if Cathy Murillo is going to include them in her pro youth coalition? Because that's been sooooo effective.

COMMENT 571858P helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 03:07 PM

"The gift", otherwise noted as con-artistry.

COMMENT 571857P helpful negative off topic

Gaviota sunrise

2014-11-23 03:05 PM

I like this photo a lot.

COMMENT 571855P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:04 PM

There are 500,000 bits of space junk the size of a marble or larger orbiting Earth. 19,000 pieces larger than two inches in diameter. Old rocket stages, pieces off old satellites.

COMMENT 571856 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:04 PM

839P - if it's that predictable, to mention it would make you an incredibly dull person and/or the kind of person who likes to point out the obvious. Just sayin'

read complete comment thread

REDTOP helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 03:03 PM

My husband and I have lived on De La Vina for ten years in the 1400 block. De La Vina is a very dangerous road night or day for cars, bicyclists and especially for pedestrians. Bicyclists habitually ride on the sidewalks along with commuting skateboarders. De La Vina desperately needs to be one lane for cars plus a bicycle lane. I hope I live long enough to see that happen. As it is, walking across DLV is a very risky business, even at intersections.

COMMENT 571853P helpful negative off topic

Figueroa Mountain Cannabis Grow Sit...

2014-11-23 02:59 PM

849 - that is inside your house, where wildlife do not set up home, but you do.

Maybe the people doing the clean-up did not want any weed. Not everyone does.

COMMENT 571852P helpful negative off topic

Ice Skating Rink Breaks Ground

2014-11-23 02:53 PM

Like the name. Kind of an oxymoron of sorts.

COMMENT 571851 helpful negative off topic

Ice Skating Rink Breaks Ground

2014-11-23 02:40 PM

Puck Yah!

COMMENT 571850 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 02:40 PM

USO's or Unidentified Submersible Objects have used the Channel Islands as their home base in the Pacific since 1943.

COMMENT 571849 helpful negative off topic

Figueroa Mountain Cannabis Grow Sit...

2014-11-23 02:25 PM

With all respect to the people cleaning up this mess, the person writing it could very well be describing my place.

I admit it, I'm a slob and I don't invite people over. There are beer cans and plastic bags scattered about, I sleep on my couch and my clothes pile up in my bedroom.

Outside there are garden hoses weaving across the patio and any number of old paint cans, fertilizers and other containers liter the area. Honestly.

What makes me sad about this is there was no weed left for those that did the work to clean it up.

COMMENT 571848 helpful negative off topic

Figueroa Mountain Cannabis Grow Sit...

2014-11-23 02:18 PM

Easy; legalize it.

read complete comment thread

CORKY helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 02:11 PM

We moved here in '71, but I remember Brays well.

COMMENT 571846P helpful negative off topic

Figueroa Mountain Cannabis Grow Sit...

2014-11-23 02:10 PM

Thank you, LPFW. This type of illegal growing is beyond distressing. I wish there were a way to stop it before it starts.

read complete comment thread

BONNER helpful negative off topic

Vince

2014-11-23 02:05 PM

Just finished walking in Douglas Preserve and saw several off leash dogs that looked very similar to Vince running around and playfully interacting with other large and small dogs. IF your dog has aggressive or possessive traits then act accordingly and keep it on leash and in control, or at home behind a fence. But don't always judge by it's breed, but rather by how it was brought up and used as a pet or guard dog, etc. Vince seems like he's been in enough circumstances at the shelter to know his behavior and that face is sure telling a sweet story, wish I could have him.

COMMENT 571844 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 01:55 PM

Space junk, remains of a Russian booster (SL-8).

COMMENT 571843 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 01:35 PM

Yes! That was amazing!

GIGGLES helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 01:25 PM

REX----LOL You may be a little younger than he, but your stories (and of course your humor) remind me so much of him! That's probably why I love reading your posts! That and the fact that you are a Scorpio!!!Interestingly enough, I have 2 father in laws. One is Mr. Giggles' step father (who is the one I am referring to in the current post) and the other is Mr. Giggles' biological father (who was born in in '47), He was also born and raised here in SB and used to pal around with "the Montecito people." In fact that book by Christopher Buckley "Cruising State" actually mentions him by name! He was a good kid for the most part but was a bit reckless when it came to driving. I believe he and a buddy accidently drove a car off the pier when valet parking one day. Whoops!

COMMENT 571841 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:57 PM

819- Try Congress's. They are even lower- if fact the lowest in history.

COMMENT 571839P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:54 PM

Pictures or mention of clouds and contrails bring out the loons, predictably.

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:54 PM

Hey, Giggles: Dang, your father-in-law is even older than I am, which is something most people these days aren't. We had San Marcos High going when I was at SBHS, and I think that's when we started losing touch with who was who, which is too bad, because what your pa-in-law told you is absolutely correct--everyone DID know everyone else back then.

And hey, I know all about stop-sign pilfery. One night when I was in high school, I crashed a party at Dick and Ann Ames' house at Mission Canyon & Foothill Roads, and someone put a stop sign--still attached to the top half of its wooden post--inside my '57 VW Beetle. It took three of us to get it out.

read complete comment thread

MACPUZL helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:47 PM

We saw it from between Ventura and Ojai. It was just a meteor. Comets are slow moving, taking days to traverse the angular extent travelled by a meteor in seconds.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 12:24 PM

I think there was another before her...Rex Ha,ha,ha..I'm part gypsie...

COMMENT 571836P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:07 PM

Yeah, let's imagine we have no drought.

COMMENT 571835 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 12:07 PM

808, try this: This evening, take a pencil and a flashlight into a dark room. Hold the pencil at arms length above your head and parallel to the ceiling. With your other hand, point a flashlight up at the pencil to cast a shadow of the pencil on the ceiling.
The flashlight represents the sun, the pencil the contrail, the ceiling the cirrus cloud, and the shadow, well, is the shadow. By manuevering the flashlight and the pencil you can make the pencil and its shadow line up the way shown in the photo.

COMMENT 571834 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:56 AM

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." -- Albert Einstein

COMMENT 571833 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:43 AM

I called the police once and voiced my concerns about speeding on De La Vina. In a perfectly calm voice the man said ' we're digging a pit soon." I laughed, and he said seriously that they didn't have enough personnel to police the street but they did the best they could. With everything else they deal with in town I guess it's minor.

COMMENT 571832 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:40 AM

The American Meteor Society isn't showing any fireball events last night. Probably just space junk burning up as it re-enters our atmosphere.

COMMENT 571831 helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 11:32 AM

urban hikers provided some awesome pictures

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 11:25 AM

They did not have the story till I wrote "Happy Hour"

GIGGLES helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:25 AM

REX----Not sure what generation you are in but my father-in-law (born in '39) was born, raised, and still lives here. He also went to SBHS and his home away from home was that Blue Onion place. And the stories I have heard about that cop (I forget his name but everyone knew him and thought he was way cool). My father-in-law wasn't a "bad" kid either but did some pretty crazy things. I think I head a story about taking a stop sign from somewhere. Just silly stuff like that...He said that back then EVERYONE knew each other so if you are of that generation and were a good kid but got a little wild every now and then, it makes me wonder if you both ran with the same pack.

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:17 AM

To me it looked like the further political aspirations of our entire City Council and mayor after a lengthy series of REALLY terrible decisions.

Let us hope.

COMMENT 571826 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:15 AM

damb missed another one

COMMENT 571825 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:14 AM

I like to call it "De La Freeway" even though that is an unfair exaggeration. But then I don't live next to it.

read complete comment thread

MESARATS helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 11:01 AM

Yep. Looked green. Falling star?

COMMENT 571822 helpful negative off topic

Thanksgiving Volunteer Opportunitie...

2014-11-23 11:00 AM

I think these organizations get a lot of volunteers on the actual holiday but could really use help before and after the day.

COMMENT 571821 helpful negative off topic

Swede Berlin's Motorcycle Shop

2014-11-23 10:55 AM

Ah yes, Levi 501's with the pant leg cuffed -- stylin' in the 40's - 50's.

COMMENT 571820 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:54 AM

We need an overall theme of traffic flow. In Fiji they say "It's Fiji time" meaning slow as it goes. You're on vacation.

"What's the hurry, you already live in Santa Barbara"...

A theme to settle the whole city instead of focusing on the hot spots. Janet Wolf totally failed at calming the traffic on our street and abandoned us. Traffic is worse. Thanks for nothing, Janet. I even suggested the whole city theme to her and she dropped that ball.

COMMENT 571819 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:51 AM

I think that was Obama's approval ratings.

COMMENT 571818 helpful negative off topic

History of San Andres Hardware Buil...

2014-11-23 10:47 AM

Does anyone know anything about the tiny separate unit on the front corner of a corner residence on San Andres (on the left as you drive up from Foodland.) This separate 'building' is oddly shaped and the surface is made of what looks like a pebbled gray stucco. Someone told me it had once been a bee keepers property and the honey was sold out of this little detached building near the street corner. Thanks!

D8VANILLA helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 10:44 AM

ents_in_santa_barbara

COMMENT 571817 helpful negative off topic

Two Men Sentenced 8 Years for Gang ...

2014-11-23 10:44 AM

They'll turn it around if they can then they'll get an award and some huge donation for a boxing ring or some other financial windfall while the rest of us have been towing the line all along.

COMMENT 571815 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:38 AM

Those that don't understand science are condemned to believe in fantasy and superstition.

COMMENT 571814 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:36 AM

Anyone remember a gift shop next to the old Bank of American at State and Canon Perdido? This would be as far back as 1958/1960. Also - looks like Bill Bonham behind the counter at Benny's Liquors in Goleta.

COMMENT 571813 helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 10:31 AM

Noozhawk has an article on the accidents. One was 3500 block of State where a vehicle with three males hit a median and a few other things before flipping.

A second accident occurred five minutes later on the SB101 Mission Street exit.

COMMENT 571812 helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 10:31 AM

Noozhawk has the story.

COMMENT 571811 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:25 AM

Love this thread... my hubs and I spotted the jet and the visible contrails... then we chuckled about the possibility of numerous posts on the subject on edhat...

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 10:24 AM

They don't wake up till Happy Hour on the weekends.

COMMENT 571809 helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 10:22 AM

any more details?

COMMENT 571808 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:22 AM

I would like to believe the shadow on a lower cloud theory but the picture clearly shows the shadow extending miles in front of the jet. How could there be a shadow of a contrail that has not been formed yet?

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 10:21 AM

Flicka, I wondered the same thing about the 1947 birth date and 1951 licensing. Could it be that gypsies know when one of their clan is born with "the gift" and just get them started on their career early? But even still, the age of four does seem a little young....

read complete comment thread

LONESTARCA helpful negative off topic

The Common Gull

2014-11-23 10:14 AM

One afternoon spent in the Bird Hall at the SB Museum of Natural History is well-worth the time. It's easy to study the differences in each species, compare sizes, and learn to ID the birds. Bring your own birding guide and take notes! It's a beautiful newer exhibit with birds arranged by feeding guilds.

COMMENT 571805P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:08 AM

It was the SO2 in Pinatubo's eruption that caused the cooling. What in jet fuel emissions/contrails has the same effect? Was the 2ºF rise, coincidental or not? Pinatubo cause a cooling of only 0.9 °F. How could grounded jets cause a rise of 2ºF?

[wiki]The effects of the eruption were felt worldwide. It ejected roughly 10,000,000,000 tonnes (1.1×1010 short tons) or 10 km3 (2.4 cu mi) of magma, and 20,000,000 tonnes (22,000,000 short tons) SO2, bringing vast quantities of minerals and metals to the surface environment. It injected more particulate into the stratosphere than any eruption since Krakatoa did in 1883. Over the following months, the aerosols formed a global layer of sulfuric acid haze. Global temperatures dropped by about 0.5 °C (0.9 °F) in the years 1991-93,[7] and ozone depletion temporarily increased substantially.[8]
[/wiki]

Gavin Schmidt does include contrails as making a difference to warming.
language=en

Water vapor is a greenhouse gas, although only as long as it is in the sky. How could water vapor in contrails cause cooling? CO2, likewise. I doubt it.

read complete comment thread

OAKTREE helpful negative off topic

Carsyn

2014-11-23 10:05 AM

This is a beautiful cat and he comes with an extra bonus of love. Bon voyage, little one.

COMMENT 571803 helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 10:01 AM

she was a bull shitter but I did like her RIP

read complete comment thread

MAXPILOT helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 10:00 AM

Shadow. I was flying/piloting a jet yesterday and there were multiple cloud layers. The contrail shadows were neat yesterday and that is what this is. Chemtrails are bunk..no matter what anyone thinks here.

COMMENT 571800 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:44 AM

792, same reason the ice melts away quickly on some days and not on others. It depends largely on temperature, what's already in the air, and air currents.

read complete comment thread

RED CREEK helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:44 AM

Looks like pictures from the UCSB year books. They use to sell ad space.

COMMENT 571798 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:39 AM

775/778.

Pinatubo's eruption was the greatest of modern times, re. material ejected into the atmosphere. However - volcanoes are insignificant compared to CO2 etc. emitted by industry and fossil fuel burning; volcanoes emit (approx.) 0.3 Gigatons of gases and solid particulates annually, whereas human activity is responsible for 30 Gigatons of CO2 alone, almost 100 times that of vulcanism.

The effect of Pinatubo was measurable - being a signal in amongst the general volcanic "noise". Industrial activity doesn't have similar "spikes", but one instance gives us a clue: In the wake of 9/11 when the FAA ordered all flights grounded, an observant meteorologist noticed a rise (about 2ºF) of daily high temperatures during the period over the lower 48.

Global dimming (reduced insolation) is probably masking the true impact of global warming.

COMMENT 571799 helpful negative off topic

Thanksgiving Volunteer Opportunitie...

2014-11-23 09:39 AM

761 for the win! I'd laugh, but it's not funny. Everyone steps up and wants to volunteer at Thanksgiving... this is great, but we need to remember to do this during the regular times of year also. Check with the local churches. I know that Trinity Episcopal does wonderful things for the community and often asks for volunteers?

read complete comment thread

ARCHIE helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:38 AM

Brays!

COMMENT 571796 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:33 AM

I live on lower De La Vina st. and it is insane just to try and get out of my driveway! I ride my bike a lot, and I have to break the law and ride on the sidewalk until I get to a safer area where I can get in a bike lane. It's a narrow street, and there is no room for a bike. I also want to mention that there are NO streetlights at night, it is pitch black and very scary. I can't even walk around my neighborhood at night because of this, I wish the city would install some streetlights with all the tourist taxes! Geez, protect the locals.

COMMENT 571794 helpful negative off topic

Accident On State And Ontare

2014-11-23 09:28 AM

nothing in any local media yet

COMMENT 571793P helpful negative off topic

UCSB Students Protest Tuition Incre...

2014-11-23 09:23 AM

743P - I guess you forgot about Cheney's unitary executive theory.

What do price increases have to do with executive orders?

Prices have always gone up. Which period have they not gone up?

Both sides have their talking points - and one of the sides has demonstrably had the most misinformation. Just check the Benghazi episode.

And how does a talking point determine whether something is true or not. Something can be true regardless of whether a lot of people talk about it or a few do. Judge on the merits and not on whether it is a talking point. That is false logic, and if that is what you normally employ, then it speaks to the validity of your arguments.

And yes, I do know the history of other places by direct experience, and your list is unrealistic and pathetic.

Show me a country where those on the right have not been the most authoritarian, against human rights, mendacious (and religious).

COMMENT 571792 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:18 AM

Can someone explain to me, (and I'm asking this as an honest straightforward question) why some planes leave a vapor trail that vanishes very quickly while others leave lines across the sky that stay for a very long time and then fade slowly?

COMMENT 571791 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 09:13 AM

There were LESS PEOPLE! That is why it was better. Seriously. That is why.

COMMENT 571790 helpful negative off topic

61st Annual Milpas Holiday Parade

2014-11-23 09:10 AM

Yea Flicka, agreed! Maybe New Years day should be called Jan 1, as not offend any Chinese or others that celebrate other calendars

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 09:02 AM

I've seen her name at the wharf, and like Rex, figured she was an old crone. I just wonder how she could be "established and licensed" here since 1951; she'd have been 4 years old if, in fact, she was born in 1947. RIP Madam

COMMENT 571788 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:59 AM

648p the way posted speeds are set are standard. The reason for it was to eliminate speed traps and local jurisdictions from arbitrarily setting the speed to whatever they want. I know that they are speed limits, though not posted "maximum limit" which implies zero tolerance for enforcement based on conditions. Go ahead and be the guy on the freeway driving 55 or 60 on the freeway if you want, but once you start impeding the flow of traffic you become a hazard. The reason the speed went up on De LA Vina, is because after surveying how fast the prevailing speed of drivers was, the speed was much higher than allowed to be posted at 25. This left 2 options. Keep the speed posted at 25, but not have it legally enforceable or raise it to 30 and have the police able to enforce. Its very rare that posted signs will change the speed drivers behavior. So in practice the sign is actually a suggestion on how fast to drive ( a legally binded suggestion)

read complete comment thread

SEEDLADY helpful negative off topic

61st Annual Milpas Holiday Parade

2014-11-23 08:51 AM

what Flicka said.

COMMENT 571786 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:50 AM

Chem-trail believers, go sample the air and send it to an independent lab for testing. Let us know what "toxic chemicals" they find. I'll wait.

Then come up with another theory on why all independent testing labs are in on the conspiracy. Then take the air sample to a University for testing. Then come up with another theory on why all University testing labs are in on the conspiracy. Then take it to another country. Then come up with another theory on why all other countries are in on the conspiracy. Then build your own testing lab. Then come up with... another theory on why your own testing lab is in on the conspiracy?

Jeeze, You can't trust anybody!

COMMENT 571785 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:49 AM

Trader Joes needs a crosswalk- no other way around it.
Drivers in general need to slow down. I have lived many places and I would put California drivers as most obnoxious when it comes to not wanting to slow down whether it is when I'm merging on the freeway or making a turn onto a side steet- the person behind me is always irate. Californians as a whole seem so mellow and laid back, say compared to New York or Boston drivers who are simply horrible, but something about the need for speed makes them a scary bunch when they are behind the wheel. It's great that for the most part, sidewalks are very respected- so add more! Not only at TJ but all down the line....You who drive to fast on DLV are destined to hurt someone and yourself...SLOW DOWN...what's the hurry...really?

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

The Common Gull

2014-11-23 08:49 AM

Thanks, David, for the beautiful photos. I don't think I've ever specifically noticed this bird but will be on the lookout now.

COMMENT 571783 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:46 AM

The simplest explanation is often correct: a shadow cast by the contrail on a lower cloud layer. Manufacturing elaborate conspiracy based explanations is often a sign of mental disturbance.

COMMENT 571782 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:46 AM

I agree with 772. You're looking at a shadow of a contrail being cast on a very thin layer of cirrus clouds above.

COMMENT 571781P helpful negative off topic

Thanksgiving Volunteer Opportunitie...

2014-11-23 08:44 AM

Call around first thing Monday; it may take a little work to find the best fit, but planning in advance lessons stress on everyone involved. You don't want your efforts and talents to go to waste.

From past experience helping at community dinners, music is always appreciated. If you have a musical talent, perhaps offer that? Or offer to deliver meals to the homebound? Perhaps workers are needed to in advance to shop, prep or do other behind-the-scene yet vital chores, ahead of serving the actual meal. And then there's the post-meal facility clean up: mopping floors, stacking chairs, deep cleaning the kitchen area.

Good Luck and thanks for your concern for others.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Best & Worst Black Friday Deals

2014-11-23 08:43 AM

I can't imagine going out, fighting crowds, on Black Friday. I buy all year, mostly at craft fairs or local stores in Carpinteria, the money goes to the crafters or small store owners. Of course, my family isn't big on high cost items; we really believe it's the thought that counts. Christmas is more about getting together, cooking, baking cookies and having a good time.

COMMENT 571779 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:43 AM

Bray's (and the Flightline...) was the closest place to IV where alcohol was served! That was when there was still a ban on selling liquor within a 1-mile radius of a UC campus. Jim, the bartender at Bray's, served a mean Potted Parrot!

COMMENT 571778P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:41 AM

What one would have to do would be to inject something into the atmosphere on the scale of Mount Pinatubo's eruption to have any effect.

(Correction of a sentence describing the impossible.)

COMMENT 571775P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:36 AM

Climate engineering has been discussed but not implemented because of concerns about safety and not enough understanding of consequences. It is not happening.

Additionally, the effect of contrails on climate change would be too small and random to either be efficient or make any difference.

What one would have to do would be to inject something into the atmosphere on the scale of Mount Pinatubo to have any effect. Since this decade is the hottest on record, then any so-called effects of the so-called chemtrails are not working.

Chemtrails are bunk.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:36 AM

REX, you are funny! I think in those days even the "bad kids" would be considered good these days, compared to what the local crop does. During the 50s, chewing gum in class or passing notes was about as bad as it got at school.

COMMENT 571777 helpful negative off topic

Do You Notice A Hum?

2014-11-23 08:36 AM

I am hearing the hum again in the last couple of days - live just north of sycamore canyon at edge of sba & Montecito. It's not the noise from overhead power lines. It's a deep vibrational hum - kind of like if I'm in living room & fridge kicks on - except this has no obvious source & is super annoying. Constant. Hard to sleep!

COMMENT 571774 helpful negative off topic

Two Men Sentenced 8 Years for Gang ...

2014-11-23 08:32 AM

760 for the win!

COMMENT 571772 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:30 AM

When a jet plane at high altitude is flying and the angle of light from the Sun is in perfect alignment with the plane's trajectory, and the Sun is low on the horizon, the shadow of the plane can be visible from the ground as a long pencil-like black or dark grey shadow. I saw this once a few months ago one evening back in summer; it had similarities to the picture above, but in this case, it looks as though the photo was taken in broad daylight, rather than in the early morning or evening.

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

Gaviota Rest Area Closed

2014-11-23 08:30 AM

@758: Ick! I guess I'd blocked the Gaviota one from my mind.

COMMENT 571771P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:21 AM

767 - you said it all......

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:18 AM

GIGGLES: Your pa-in-law sounds like my kind of guy. The strange thing is that when I was in high school I really WAS a nice boy. I mean, other than smoking cigarettes and hanging around with juvenile delinquents.

@756: Hevvins, it wasn't ME who liberated those license plates. But unfortunately, I--err, I mean the present owner--have already promised them to my grandkids upon my demise. That is, the present owner has promised them to my grandkids. Wait, no--HIS grandkids. Yeah, that's right.

COMMENT 571769 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:17 AM

Stop signs every 3 blocks. Cheap, easy and simple.

But since its the city, it will take a 350k consultant and 500k in studies to implement a series of inventive but useless tactics...like bulbouts, humps, or a tree in the middle of the block.

Stop signs every 3 blocks. Yes, its really that simple.

COMMENT 571768P helpful negative off topic

Please Abide, Move Aside

2014-11-23 08:13 AM

I observed some dumas drivers at the Mission Street underpass not pulling over just Friday. Only one driver pulled over and the rest stayed in place. The ambulance had to pull into oncoming traffic to get around them. Brilliant! I didn't stay to watch, but I would also assume these same drivers probably would try to jockey in front of the one driver who pulled over. People drive like idiots in this town.

COMMENT 571766 helpful negative off topic

Best & Worst Black Friday Deals

2014-11-23 08:10 AM

The only comment consistent with the article is Rex Of SB. I agree. The % has nothing to do with the bottom $.

COMMENT 571765 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:07 AM

The exhaust from a jet engine is carbon dioxide and water vapor. The contrail is from that water vapor condensing. It is white like a cloud. The vapor has to cool to below the dew point before it condenses and that takes time. For a high efficiency, low noise engine like a passenger plane that time tends to be very short. For a high speed plane's engine (like some m military jets) that time can be much longer because the exhaust leaves the engine much hotter.

The hot vapor (and CO2) is colorless, but has a different refractive index than the air around it so depending on what angle the sun light hits it from it can look a little darker or a little lighter that the air until it condenses - then it turns cloud-white.

The plane is at the front of the dark part of the streak at a very high altitude.

COMMENT 571764 helpful negative off topic

Two Men Sentenced 8 Years for Gang ...

2014-11-23 08:07 AM

Your parents must be so proud. You guys made it in the news

COMMENT 571763P helpful negative off topic

Best & Worst Black Friday Deals

2014-11-23 08:03 AM

Buy something made in America on Dec. 1 at makersmonday.com or buy it locally. The comment about more aid going to conservative counties in CA applies to states nationwide. Residents of red states get more aid than blue states. The hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

COMMENT 571762 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 08:00 AM

I think that the planters proposed by one commenter would look nice but would eliminate too much parking and could be dangerous due to interfering with lines of sight if not built (and maintained) perfectly.

How about eliminating parallel parking in favor of diagonal parking on the right hand side of the street only? if done well it would increase (or at least preserve) the number of available parking spaces, make it easier to park and unpark, and leave a left lane with excellent lines of sight. Anything that reduces parking in this area is no good because the homes there do not have enough off street parking and it is effectively illegal to add off street parking in this neighborhood because of zoning and aesthetic rules.

COMMENT 571761 helpful negative off topic

Thanksgiving Volunteer Opportunitie...

2014-11-23 07:59 AM

Walmart is looking for volunteers, previously known as employees.

COMMENT 571760 helpful negative off topic

Two Men Sentenced 8 Years for Gang ...

2014-11-23 07:57 AM

And when they get out they'll put on a suit, go to college, get a job and pay their taxes. Then they'll vote, give out Halloween candy, put up a Christmas tree and marry a nice girl, settle down and have a nice family. Their gang life will be behind them due to our rehabilitation efforts in prison.

COMMENT 571759 helpful negative off topic

The Common Gull

2014-11-23 07:55 AM

The Botanic Garden also has frequent birding walks; just go to their website and the program schedule.

COMMENT 571758 helpful negative off topic

Gaviota Rest Area Closed

2014-11-23 07:54 AM

REX OF SB - If memory serves, both incidents occurred.

COMMENT 571756 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 07:49 AM

Rex, I like the S.W.I.M. reference ! Wanna sell those old plates? I have space on my garage wall!

COMMENT 571755 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 07:48 AM

The Stanley drive chicanes only reduced vehicle speed by 3 miles per hour on average (city study) More importantly this speed reduction on average is accomplished by having vehicles head straight at each other from opposite directions. I don't think having people head at each other and slow down to avoid head on collisions is worth a few miles an hour speed reduction, not to mention the many, many collisions of vehicles with these silly chicane structures often unkempt and difficult to see. Finally, it wouldn't work on DeLavina as all the cars are traveling in the same direction (i.e. one way street). The biggest problem with DeLavina is, it is too narrow and with curb parking and bicycles being allowed along with the speed limit that is in effect in order to move traffic more efficiently than on State Street, that makes the street rather dangerous for everyone.

COMMENT 571754 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 07:41 AM

Water vapor is a product of jet fuel combustion; on emission, it condenses and freezes into ice crystals, forming the artificial cirrus type clouds we know as contrails. The length of time they persist, they way they spread, or instantly dissipate etc. is dependent on weather conditions at 30,000ft or more.

Does this simple explanation debunk the notion that materials are being deliberately seeded into the upper atmosphere? No. Dr. Edward Teller, for example, the father of the hydrogen fusion bomb has proposed a "planetary sunscreen to reduce global warming". This could be attempted by the (large scale) seeding the upper atmosphere with nano particulate absorptive or reflective materials to reduce insolation.

Enter "geoengineering" into a search engine. It's easy to yell "conspiracy theory" at anything which doesn't sit comfortably. Truth is, we don't know.

COMMENT 571753 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 07:37 AM

The chemtrails are from secret chemicals being sprayed at high altitude to reduce global warming. As you have probably noticed the chemtrailers are avid global warmers who have inside information on all of this from Al Gore and others in the know. The government doesn't want the rest of us to know about any of it.

COMMENT 571752 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 07:30 AM

@749 nailed it. 'nuff said

PAGLINSB helpful negative off topic

Thanksgiving Volunteer Opportunitie...

2014-11-23 07:17 AM

It's a good idea to line up a possibility ahead well in advance. Some places end up with too many volunteers & others not enough. (Saw an article recently about more volunteers serving meals at a holiday dinner than there were guests.) Some volunteers need to be cleared (reference checks). Perhaps a worship center (any religion) is involved in a project--you could call around. I realize this is not the specific help you were asking for, but just sayin'.

PAGLINSB helpful negative off topic

Strandline Find

2014-11-23 07:04 AM

Had a rats nest once in a bougainvillea bush that I couldn't do anything about. One day a visitor said she saw a king snake go by. A few weeks later: no rats! Thank you for rescuing another beauty in Mother Nature's food chain.

COMMENT 571749 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 06:54 AM

Strictly observe the speed limit on DLV; don't appoint yourself "cop for a day" and slow down traffic to whatever speed you deem reasonable at the moment because that's dangerous.

The ire you feel when others pass you is multiplied for them as they pass you.

COMMENT 571748 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-23 06:49 AM

What is it with people and their obsession with chemtrails?

COMMENT 571747 helpful negative off topic

The Common Gull

2014-11-23 06:49 AM

Love the photos! Have seen both Royal and Elegant Terns on Goleta Beach in the past month. Beautiful birds.

COMMENT 571746P helpful negative off topic

Madame Sonia Rosinka

2014-11-23 12:54 AM

A friend and I went to see her and she was wrong about both of us and asked for more money in a white handkerchief which she would bless and bury under a plant to make the bad "karma"go away. I think that it was her mother and sisters who had a shop at Fairview and Hollister and one in Santa Claus Lane in that house with all of the interesting architecture.

read complete comment thread

44% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #