Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 81.1°F | Humidity: 55% | Pressure: 29.91in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send in your news to ed@edhat.com

16577 Subscribers
      632 Paid (3.8%)
     40 Commenters
     32901 Page Views

MA in Clinical Psychology Info Session!
MA in Clinical Psychology Info Session!

6th Annual Tequila Harvest Festival
6th Annual Tequila Harvest Festival

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 08/04/15

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

CORKY helpful negative off topic

Mystery Gourd

2015-08-04 08:52 AM

I agree. Leaves and fruit look like squash.

COMMENT 635543 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:52 AM

That guy is probably wealthy and just a cheap SOB.

COMMENT 635542 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:48 AM

This is a good example of people who think "if it's not chained down, then the owner's don't really want it!" I hope they nail this thief!

COMMENT 635541 helpful negative off topic

Highway 101 Castillo Ramp Closure

2015-08-04 08:47 AM

Again?

CORKY helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:46 AM

Wow 24 P! I know others were laid off, but one of our former students in Special Day Class has worked at Fairview Vons for many years, so not as likely to be able to go out and find employment elsewhere.

COMMENT 635539 helpful negative off topic

The Dream Team

2015-08-04 08:45 AM

"Nobody wants to business in California" because the DoD awards a research grant to UCSB? Huh?

COMMENT 635538 helpful negative off topic

33 DUI Arrests in June

2015-08-04 08:44 AM

No, not the drunk tank. Not at the jail, but a motel like place that was on east Haley and used for just what it sounds like if the person was allowed there. If they are too unruly or violent they go to jail.

D8VANILLA helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:42 AM

@531- The guess the key word is "hidden".... how is that thief supposed to see a "hidden" camera???

And, YES, there are some cameras that are easier to spot than others.....

Now, if the plant owner had put those little tracking devices, they would be able to track them down.

COMMENT 635536 helpful negative off topic

Dog Allergies

2015-08-04 08:39 AM

446, man, if you think Hendry's is a "fashionable" place to go then you must not be from here. Enjoy your secluded, wide-open beaches, champ... I don't think anyone who visits H's will miss you or your opinions.

COMMENT 635535 helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 08:38 AM

Why do you think they put that oil derrick in that precise location in the first place? Saying the oil derrick is the cause of the seepage is like saying the bandaid is the cause of the blood.

CORKY helpful negative off topic

How to Relocate a Rabbit

2015-08-04 08:38 AM

I think that's a little harsh for the poster, who just wanted to relocate I think. No comparison to the hunter.

COMMENT 635533 helpful negative off topic

33 DUI Arrests in June

2015-08-04 08:34 AM

What is the Sobering Center? Is that a euphemism for what we used to call the Drunk Tank?

COMMENT 635532 helpful negative off topic

SB Public Market Stall Closures

2015-08-04 08:34 AM

@776P Its been like that for years now.

Yuppies and non-natives killed this town. I'm glad I moved out during the peak of the recession.

COMMENT 635531P helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:33 AM

I guess some people still don't know how to spot hidden cameras. It's not really that hard. I hope they ID and catch him.

COMMENT 635530 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:33 AM

Who thinks it is a realtor or someone staging their house for sale and did some accessory shopping?

COMMENT 635529 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:32 AM

Despite the boycott talk, people are or aren't shopping at Haggens on the basis of price/selection. As far as supporting the remaining employees, if the store fails another will take its place, and if successful, even more employees will be hired. Poorly managed stores don't deserve automatic support.

COMMENT 635528 helpful negative off topic

Chorro Fire Continues Burning Near ...

2015-08-04 08:32 AM

Its another colossal waste of money. 200 firefighters for a fire that will burn through deep wilderness and will probably never get near a home or ranch. Just like the Zaca fire, that only got near a couple homes back near Los Olivos and cost Hundreds of Millions of dollars. We need to get back to the fire "management" science and recognize that the wilderness NEEDS to burn every 5 years or so. Cleans out the under brush, helps many plants re-seed AND it lessens the risk of very big and hot fires as a result. Current techniques are only about how much money can go into pensions and pay for subcontractors supplying fuel and flying planes.

COMMENT 635527 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:30 AM

I heard Haggens is now blaming the individual store managers for their failed sales predictions

I feel bad for the first round of people laid off, then the disabled, and the old contract lifers who are working harder and for few hours just trying to keep a hold on their jobs

What Haggens needs to do is to apologize to all the communities, reset their prices and beg the customers to return or they will be out of business before any lawsuit gets to court

COMMENT 635526 helpful negative off topic

Fiesta Pub Run Theme

2015-08-04 08:29 AM

The Fiesta cruiser bike ride is not happening this year. The cops put a stop to it

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

33 DUI Arrests in June

2015-08-04 08:25 AM

I had one beer, it was a keg.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:24 AM

I guess I cannot comment here it would not be proper..

COMMENT 635523 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:23 AM

By opinion:

This is a Private Equity Ponzie scheme.
With No intention of serving the public.
And Not in it for long-term business purposes.
It's a short-term milking play for raking all the cash.
Chosen as a patsy to satisfy FTC monopoly requirements.
It is massively debt-laden and not sustainable, by design.
Layoffs, high prices, late bill payments, all a part of the ploy.

See it now for it's guaranteed to disappear later. By design.

It's not an illusion and not your fault if it goes out of business because nobody shops there. The intent is to take out as much cash as possible, as fast as possible and leaving behind an empty carcass is irrelevant.

COMMENT 635521 helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 08:21 AM

I hate to say "I told you so."

COMMENT 635522 helpful negative off topic

Mystery Gourd

2015-08-04 08:21 AM

zucchini usually grow in more of a bush than vining across the ground. 342's got it- a hybridized volunteer squash from a random seed.

COMMENT 635520P helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:21 AM

You can’t say he’s from Montecito just because he’s IN Montecito at the moment. If wishing for accuracy makes one a “Picky McPickleton,” so be it. Better to be a Picky McPickleton(!) than remain ignorant.

COMMENT 635519 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:18 AM

At Haggens on Fairview, the Hahn Cabernet went from $9.99 (Sunday 07/26) to $11.99 (Sunday 08/02) but it's still cheaper than Gelson's (always $15.99).

COMMENT 635518P helpful negative off topic

Coast Guard in Santa Barbara

2015-08-04 08:15 AM

It is the most brilliantly white plane I've ever seen.

COMMENT 635517 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:15 AM

He's gentle because that's a respectful thing to say.

He's from Montecito because that's where he's actually at in the photo.

Come on Picky McPickelton's. Some things are just what they are.

Although he must be from Margaritaville based on the pants.

read complete comment thread

SMARTYPANTS helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:14 AM

Should tell him about the plants I need removed and give the man a shovel......

COMMENT 635515P helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:13 AM

A dissatisfied customer? A disgruntled employee or associate? It's not like he can pawn those plants and be cash rich for a day or so.

COMMENT 635514 helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 08:09 AM

How many of you walk through the process of discovery in your mind. A helicopter flies over. People look out a window. They decide it's natural seepage. Are they right? It's guessing.

Occam's razor suggests the obvious. Oil "seeping" in an area that has an oil derrick right in the center of it? Hmmmm. Wonder what it could be.

Not to mention. In foods? "Natural ingredients is the catch-all for everything not qualified as real food. Like MSG is a natural ingredient. Is it natural? Is seepage out of an old well natural?

Naturally, the industry needs you to think it is.

COMMENT 635513 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 08:07 AM

504, no, there are not. But the corporation doing the layoffs has to pay some of the unemployment salary that the state provides. I think for up to 26 weeks. During the recession you could get unemployment for up to 99 weeks or something.

Vons can't wait until Haggen goes under and they have a virtual lock on supermarkets in this town. Then we will be much better off, I'm sure.

COMMENT 635512 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:05 AM

How do we know he's from Montecito?

COMMENT 635511 helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 08:03 AM

Gentleman? Why even go there?

COMMENT 635510 helpful negative off topic

Motorcycle Accident on Cabrillo

2015-08-04 08:02 AM

@491, not necessarily true. A motorcycle isn't designed to broadside a steel car at 40mph and bounce off. The U-turn implies the car was not moving in the direction of the motorcycle, so the difference in speeds between them was high - full impact speed for the moto if the car was perpendicular to traffic.

COMMENT 635508 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 07:57 AM

good, I hope they win.

COMMENT 635507 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 07:57 AM

I just purchased some items at Haggen's that were cheaper than those at Von's.

I will continue to shop at Haggen's, unjustly targeted by biased reporting. Pathpoint has done a great disservice to the community and to the disabled. Now hiring a disabled person will risk a lawsuit.

Please consider supporting the remaining employees at Haggen's and stop the witch hunt. Haggen's is certainly less expensive than some of the alternatives in town. .

read complete comment thread

DEEKER helpful negative off topic

2015-08-04 07:55 AM

Montecito gentleman?? Since when is a thief a gentleman?

COMMENT 635504 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 07:54 AM

Are there no laws regarding large layoffs from large corporations?

COMMENT 635502 helpful negative off topic

Mystery Gourd

2015-08-04 07:45 AM

Looks likes a zukini but I don't know everything even though in here

COMMENT 635501 helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 07:44 AM

This will greatly disappoint the anti-oil crowd looking to blame every drop of oil found or every tar ball and oil sheen observed on the big bad unwanted oil companies (or even any company associated with an oil company).

COMMENT 635500 helpful negative off topic

Butterfly Beach Litter Removal

2015-08-04 07:42 AM

Thanks for taking time from your schedule to help clean up the beaches. My family does this every year on New Years Day
and what seems to be most prevalent are bits of foam(remnants of foam cups) and butts. Smokers! Please dont ask others to clean up after you!

COMMENT 635499 helpful negative off topic

Mystery Gourd

2015-08-04 07:42 AM

Looks more like summer (yellow) squash to me or even pumpkin rather than zucchini.

COMMENT 635498 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 07:41 AM

It's pronounced Haggen not Haggen's, that really bothers me that you guys think you know so much but don't even know how to pronounce the name of the store. Sheeeeesh

COMMENT 635497 helpful negative off topic

Haggen Sued for Discrimination

2015-08-04 07:38 AM

Long before these lay-offs the Haggen chain came in cleaned up the stores a little, hung a new sign and jacked up most of the prices except for a few loss leaders. To the apparent surprise of the upper management the price increases did matter and large numbers of customers began shopping elsewhere. I have shopped at the Vons/Safeway in the Turnpike center for 33 years and I estimate fairly accurately my family and I have spent roughly $200,000 dollars there during that time. Like most of my neighbors I am not rich and I am not lazy. I will drive a little further to a store like Ralphs (Magnolia Center) to save substantial money, NOT just a few dollars. Current price of dog food at Ralph's is $.79 cents a can, at Haggen's $1.49 for the same can. The difference on just that one item is $5.00 a week for me. This is not indignation over lay-offs but rather pure economics.

COMMENT 635496 helpful negative off topic

Chorro Fire Continues Burning Near ...

2015-08-04 07:27 AM

Why on earth would someone burn chorros? Those things are delightful. There's a yellow food truck in town that makes good ones although I think they use crisco!!

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Coast Guard in Santa Barbara

2015-08-04 07:26 AM

Wow beautiful picture Thank You Max..

COMMENT 635493P helpful negative off topic

Motorcycle Accident on Cabrillo

2015-08-04 07:25 AM

@491: Very good point.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 8-3-15

2015-08-04 07:25 AM

She just showed up the next door neighbors kid wanted to take her over and I thought she wanted to be her friend not lock her up in the house and smother her when I found that out I said "No, it takes time for a wild kitty to be comfortable, not to mention money." I don't know what her folks told her but probley something bad about me... The little BRAT started yelling at Joey and chasing him around. Now I'm looking at family woodchippers on Amazon...:). Kittys eat aHELL of a lot of Food OMD! I have to order a few cases of friskies for her they hate that no grain stuff (I end up eating it and it tastes like shreaded poop) I don't have any money but I have a Chaumers Big and Tall credit card..Anyway today she ate her food with me standing next to her...Hopefully she will get comfortable and stay away from the brat kid.

COMMENT 635492 helpful negative off topic

Delicious Sandwiches To Go

2015-08-04 07:17 AM

The South Coast Deli off Patterson is consistently good ! I Won't ever go to the one on Chapala again. They dont even make the sandwhiches the same way w/same ingredients ?

COMMENT 635491 helpful negative off topic

Motorcycle Accident on Cabrillo

2015-08-04 07:09 AM

While it's pretty clear that an illegal u-turn makes the Lexis driver blameworthy, if the motorcycle was "broken in half" or even close to broken in half it must have been moving at a very dangerous speed. Even a full freeway speed collision normally won't break up a motorcycle structurally.

COMMENT 635490 helpful negative off topic

Highway 101 Castillo Ramp Closure

2015-08-04 07:05 AM

Shouldnt be done until Cabrillo and State bridge project is finished. Harbor and beachfront area traffic will have to use Garden St exit and Cabrillo is a nasty choke point at State Street. With 7 busses parked along Cabrillo and huge volumes of tourists clogging the crosswalk there. POOR TIMING!!!

COMMENT 635489 helpful negative off topic

Dog Allergies

2015-08-04 06:52 AM

There are some kind of Sea Lice here with the warm water now. I have pics ( but cant post them cause I am not a member). I was knee deep at West Beach and about 20 or so had bitten my feet and lower legs. There was a small match head size bit of blood weeping from each bite and some were still attached. Came home and used straight white vinegar. Itched and had bumps for a couple of days. Check with the citys lifeguard supervisor.

COMMENT 635488 helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 06:29 AM

Aww man I wanted to grab a banner and go protest or something!? Oh well Mother Nature, you are hard to sue.

COMMENT 635487 helpful negative off topic

The Dream Team

2015-08-04 06:22 AM

Wow that's a lot of dough. @414 you crack me up! And those ivory towers don't just pay for themselves.

read complete comment thread

TMO helpful negative off topic

Goleta Oil Sheen Confirmed as Natur...

2015-08-04 06:18 AM

COMMENT 635485 helpful negative off topic

Chocolate Malt

2015-08-04 06:04 AM

The Royal Ice Cream Parlor was wonderful. I worked at my great aunt's Shoe Store (Cornwall's Shoe Repair) during vacations and each afternoon I went to the Royal (10 sec from the back door of the shop) on my break.
The best ever!

read complete comment thread

MEOWPURR helpful negative off topic

Scanner Reports 8-3-15

2015-08-04 03:32 AM

I'm so glad to hear you got a new kitty, Roger!! Kitties are the best

COMMENT 635483P helpful negative off topic

Mystery Gourd

2015-08-04 03:29 AM

Chayote. Delicious.

COMMENT 635482P helpful negative off topic

Butterfly Beach Litter Removal

2015-08-04 12:46 AM

Nice job... thank you.

COMMENT 635481P helpful negative off topic

Sundown Tonight

2015-08-04 12:45 AM

Nice sunset.

read complete comment thread

33% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 3 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY