Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 80.2°F | Humidity: 50% | Pressure: 29.98in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 3.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com

17584 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

All Local News
- 08/28/16

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 726041 helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 03:15 PM

Bus came out of nowhere!

COMMENT 726040 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 03:01 PM

It looks to me this guy is local or a frequent visitor. He sure knows, was confidant about how to get away quickly, possibly into the adjacent neighborhood ...

COMMENT 726039 helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 02:45 PM

A Drunk Driver rear ended a bus, then ran away.... But the police found him in a nearby neighborhood. Way to go SBPD!!! Hope everyone on the bus is okay.

It happened at the same time as the sheriff car and ambulance...not related at all

COMMENT 726038 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Shot

2016-08-28 02:45 PM

No, but I heard eight rather quiet gunshots near Shirrell and Fairview about that time. Coincidence?

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 02:42 PM

They should turn it into a shelter so many homeless folks sleep there.

COMMENT 726035 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 02:32 PM

Any word on what started the chopper again? Was a sighting reported? The duration was certainly much shorter than yesterday's search.

COMMENT 726033 helpful negative off topic

Attempted Kidnapping

2016-08-28 02:28 PM

Of course, violent crime per capita has declined dramatically in the US since the 1970s so I'm not sure the "Rats in a box" analogy is worth much.

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Mobile Mechanic

2016-08-28 02:28 PM

I was the original op in 2012. I have had a great working relationship with bob castillo for over 4 years now and the 93 explorer runs great as does my 95 ranger. I still recommend him. problem turned out to be bad starter. he's done 4 or 5 other repairs no problem. cost about equal to casy guarage . BTW I am not Bob.

COMMENT 726032P helpful negative off topic

DUI / Driver's License Checkpoint A...

2016-08-28 02:24 PM

862 - I don't use Waze so don't know anything about it, but does it show in live time where the DUI checkpoints are & other useful tid bits like cops & their speed traps, yeah, those are "illegal," or the location of John Law on the 101 outside of Goleta? Thanks!

COMMENT 726031P helpful negative off topic

Views of the Venus-Jupiter Conjunct...

2016-08-28 02:19 PM

Beautiful photograph. Thank you for sharing your love of the Sky and posting this "especial" celestial tryst.

COMMENT 726030P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 02:17 PM

021 - everyone on earth does NOT necessarily have a cell phone. And some people with cell phones do not have smart phones with cameras. And some people who do have them do not live with their phones attached to their bodies.

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 02:03 PM

Heard a traffic stop in that general area around 1:45 but nothing else on brodcastify.com. 2:05 now.

COMMENT 726025 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:57 PM

I totally agree with Mesarats. Trolls also run the city of Goleta and Noleta too. No body manages the WATER.....Guess the firefighters should scoop the MUD out of Catchuma to put on the fire - then it would be dredged!!! What an idea, someone made a decision!!!

COMMENT 726023 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:47 PM

I live in the area and I am now hearing helicopters again and seeing police. Anyone have anymore info or know what's happening? I hope they catch this sicko!

COMMENT 726022 helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 01:47 PM

The OP is correct that the toll-free number in this letter is suspicious. Everything else in the letter looks legitimate - a very sophisticated effort! Now the OP should try to figure out if there are clues as to how his name and mailing address was selected. I will add that after my father passed away, my mother began receiving all kinds of mail and phone calls from suspicious senders. I think anytime new information becomes available in the public record (death records, property sales, etc.) there's a spike in phishing scams with the information - eventually they taper off.

COMMENT 726021 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:44 PM

No one could take a picture? Everyone on earth has a cell phone.

COMMENT 726020 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:42 PM

There is a helicopter circling the neighborhood again this afternoon.

COMMENT 726019 helpful negative off topic

Mobile Mechanic

2016-08-28 01:41 PM

I didn't have a good experience with Bob Castillo. He kept telling me over and over how honest he is. That to me is a red flag because it's like if he said it enough, I'd believe. But it was more than. He charged me $300 for a repair he said I needed. Okay. But then he said I needed more work that could possibly go up considerably. He mentioned my catalytic converter. He told me I could drive around town but I should save to get that work done. That wasn't true at all. One of my neighbors had a mechanic come out and look at my car for me. Turned out it was just a bad a spark plug. Cost me the price of a tune up. Maybe Bob just didn't know. I could give him that benefit of the doubt. But he does claim to have decades of experience. I'm not going to say he is or isn't dishonest. But you should take what I experience in as well as the other comments. Personally, i won't go to him again. I would have paid him $1000 for a $100 repair.

COMMENT 726018 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:40 PM

It's 1:38 on Sunday and the chopper is circling overhead again. Let's do this, neighbors. Find this person and get him locked up and helped and get our neighborhood safe.

read complete comment thread

MESARATS helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:29 PM

013P. Trolls don't run our city, high density developers do.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:16 PM

Actually there was more info on a possible suspect hopefully they will release more info.

COMMENT 726015 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:16 PM

New Police Station?

COMMENT 726013P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 01:14 PM

Even though Edhat comments are sometimes dominated by the trolls, they remind us to be thankful trolls don't run our fair city.

COMMENT 726011P helpful negative off topic

Views of the Venus-Jupiter Conjunct...

2016-08-28 01:12 PM

I am soooo ready to experience a Mars--Venus conjunction.

COMMENT 726010P helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 01:03 PM

In my experience, the clerks always verify that a credit card has been approved before they let you walk off with the merchandise. I've never heard of a vendor contacting the buyer later to say they didn't actually receive payment. Looks especially fishy since the OP never shopped there. He should certainly check his credit reports.

COMMENT 726009 helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 01:02 PM

What are you guys talking about? What ambulance and cop car? This here is a white pickup and an MTD bus on Upper State, not Old Mill Rd. Please take your off topic verbal sparring elsewhere, like the thread you are talking about. Thank you.

And RD if you don't like trolls you might want to avoid sounding like one when someone criticizes you in the tiniest way. You are really out of line here, in my humble opinion.

COMMENT 726007 helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 12:52 PM

978P... you missed the part where the OP didn't shop at Walmart or Sam's Club.

COMMENT 726006P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 12:45 PM

The mansion should open to all comfort-therapy animals from ground squirrels to pugs.

COMMENT 726005 helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 12:44 PM

Reported that AMR stopped for a yellow and sheriff couldn't stop in time, so following too close or distracted driving. No heart attack, no brake failure or any of the plethora of other options. If the truck into the bus was any different it would be unlikely unless it was driving while impaired, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Assn. Also there were 5 minor injuries in the AMR accident.

COMMENT 726004 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 12:42 PM

My takeaway is that Bellosguardo would get the most community support if it became a Center for Dog Therapy and the grounds became a Dog Park. Woof.

COMMENT 726003P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 12:41 PM

Too bad the victims didn't get a cell phone picture of this perv.

Now that I think about it, they probably did & the SBPD & SBSO will release his picture in 30 days after the trail is frozen solid & they are throwing their hands in the air once again how the guy got away.

COMMENT 726001 helpful negative off topic

Fruit Tree ID

2016-08-28 12:21 PM

Is not a mulberry. Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_(plant) - fruit and leaves are different.

Is not a Chinese fringetree. Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chionanthus_retusus - leaves are more pointed in wiki's photo.

Looks to be a Chionanthus virginicus (white fringetree) per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chionanthus_virginicus. Leaves and fruit (including color) do match in the relevant photos.

COMMENT 726000P helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 12:18 PM

#980P: You have absolutely no way of knowing whether distracted driving was the cause. I can name you half a dozen other things it could have been. Why speculate when you don't know?

COMMENT 725997P helpful negative off topic

Travel-Associated Zika Found in San...

2016-08-28 12:05 PM

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 12:00 PM

Sometimes I hear the police refer to an Ambulance as a Bus but I think that's more of an East Coast thing. Por guy.

read complete comment thread

BJGREEN helpful negative off topic

Views of the Venus-Jupiter Conjunct...

2016-08-28 12:00 PM

The Mesa has always been a good spot for star gazing. Back in the 1870s, the best telescope in SoCal was on the Mesa. A guy named S.R. Weldon who lived on the Mesa (near present-day Weldon Road) had a six-inch telescope, and held telescope parties where visitors viewed the very same Venus-Jupiter conjunction that we are seeing now. A reporter for the SB Weekly Press (8-15-1874) wrote about it in flowery Victorian language: "Last evening was an especial occasion of interest on the Mesa, and the attendance at Mr. Weldon's observatory parlor was unusually large. It has been apparent to the naked eye for some time, that a high bit of flirtation has been going on up in the firmament. Jupiter and Venus have been making up to each other in the most unmistakable manner." -- Betsy J. Green, author of MESApedia

COMMENT 725994 helpful negative off topic

Help with Spider ID

2016-08-28 11:57 AM

It was so cool seeing the good pictures and the positive comments about how to handle these beasties here on edhat. I never knew that brown widows existed, having only seen two species of black widows in this area. (The second species I didn't know about until 2011.) The link to CISR provided by 725765P was good (have bookmarked it). Per CISR, the brown widow has been invading this area since at least 2011...

COMMENT 725993P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 11:51 AM

As I and my dog were finishing our Goleta Bike Path walk, I saw a woman coming toward us at around 7:30PM. She was heading toward the path and it was getting very dark out.

I told her about seeing the Sheriffs and about the circling helicopter and advised she take care. She told me the neighborhood was very safe. But she did turn around and retrace her steps.

I am glad now that I said something. You never know. That perp stalking the mother and child could have been after the woman and not the young child. If you're going to walk in lonely or semi-lonely areas, carry pepper spray in hand, ready to use. Pepper spray only costs around $10 (or less) on Amazon.

COMMENT 725992P helpful negative off topic

Attempted Kidnapping

2016-08-28 11:40 AM

BIGWALLY. As one commenter remarked recently, "Rats in a box." Too many people.

When I was in my late teens, there were two books that addressed this problem. "Future Shock" was the book everyone was reading. "Dr. Rat" was a not-so-well-known book. The reading of both was extremely enlightening.

Too many people = more crime, more aberrant behavior, more suicides, more gender confusion, more war, more disease, etc.

COMMENT 725991 helpful negative off topic

Early Morning Shot

2016-08-28 11:36 AM

Yes I heard something around that time but Im off of Cathedral Oaks. The power went off for a moment because my alarm clock starting flashing 12:00. Maybe a transformer blew that sounded like a gun shot?

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 11:27 AM

I did not know he did all that hope they get him Sicko....

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 11:26 AM

Up there it looks like it posted at 10:56pm^^^^^^^^^^

COMMENT 725988P helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 11:21 AM

980P - or following too close behind the ambulance, thinking that the ambulance had unrestricted right of way.

COMMENT 725987 helpful negative off topic

Meadow Lake Reservoir

2016-08-28 11:19 AM

Thank you!!!

COMMENT 725986 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 11:16 AM

Dogs in the library is absolute nonsense unless they are aiding a handicapped person. Get serious!

COMMENT 725985 helpful negative off topic

Non-Lethal Squirrel Eradication

2016-08-28 11:15 AM

squirrels devastate fruit trees and have to be controlled. It is a sad reality.

COMMENT 725984 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 11:13 AM

Oh im rolling laughing at 979, Really ? Classic edhant banter

COMMENT 725983 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 11:07 AM

To 976 : The dogs at the library during the school year are part of the afterschool help with homework program and are certified Pet Therapy Dogs. The children do NOT bring their own dogs to the library. They pick out a book to read to one of the ARF dog teams. This program has been a great success in many ways :-)

read complete comment thread

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Meadow Lake Reservoir

2016-08-28 11:05 AM

Nice to see so much water. Thanks for taking time to include the history. Bird shots are delightful.

COMMENT 725981 helpful negative off topic

Good Karma

2016-08-28 11:00 AM

What a great recap ! I love all the changes/life lessons. If we have the courage to dig deep and work on our own pain, stop blaming everyone else or looking for our happiness in material things or what other people can do for us.......... then real change, and a grateful, happy life await us all :-)

COMMENT 725980P helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 10:45 AM

Let's see, on Edhat, coverage of the sheriff into ambulance accident yesterday at Old Mill Rd. Appalling example of distracted driving!

lance_near_santa_barbara#at_pco=cfd-1.0

COMMENT 725979 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 10:38 AM

A glorified McMansion situated on a pretend estate. The "art" is mediocre @ best, there may be a handful of rare books and the architecture is faux riche.

COMMENT 725978P helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 10:28 AM

walmartrecovery.com is real. I suggest that you go to the Walmart that you use and bring the letter with you. I had something similar happen at Costco a year or so ago and it was real. For some reason, the charge got mangled at their end and did not go through. I took care of it at the store. You might want to do that too. Or, go directly to their web site and use the reference number to check it out. Or, call the phone number listed on the web site. But, don't just ignore it.

COMMENT 725977 helpful negative off topic

Bumper Bus

2016-08-28 10:13 AM

The bus was all like, "Let's plan for a smooth journey," but the pickup replied, "That's your choice, not mine."

COMMENT 725976 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 10:11 AM

We don't need another board like the one at the library which urged children to bring their dogs to the public library to read to them!!

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 10:08 AM

well I didn't see it hear at 2 am when I got home . guess I must have missed it.

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 09:50 AM

951p this didn't post untill this morning. long after the event was over.

COMMENT 725973 helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 09:42 AM

I recommend you notify your credit card companies, all banks where you may have a debit card, and all credit monitoring agencies IMMEDIATELY!. The scam might be that someone is buying stuff on your dime with either your debit or credit card information.

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Scam Letter

2016-08-28 09:41 AM

Thank you dear Edhat Subscriber. :)

BIGWALLY helpful negative off topic

Attempted Kidnapping

2016-08-28 09:36 AM

This neighborhood has became quite the little hotbed for crime . wish my info had post last night while relevant . I have recently read calls for assault . robbery , burglary , domestic violence ,and a fatality hit and run of an 88 year old man. Now add attempted kidnapping . Is the country going bananas ?

COMMENT 725970 helpful negative off topic

Travel-Associated Zika Found in San...

2016-08-28 09:36 AM

COMMENT 725969P helpful negative off topic

Rey Fire Area Closed to Public

2016-08-28 09:29 AM

Record visitor numbers at the nation's first national park have transformed its annual summer rush into a sometimes dangerous frenzy, with selfie-taking tourists routinely breaking park rules and getting too close to Yellowstone's storied elk herds, grizzly bears, wolves and bison.

Law enforcement records obtained by The Associated Press suggest such problems are on the rise at the park, offering a stark illustration of the pressures facing some of America's most treasured lands as the National Park Service marks its 100th anniversary.

From Tennessee's Great Smoky Mountains to the Grand Canyon of Arizona, major parks are grappling with illegal camping, vandalism, theft of resources, wildlife harassment and other visitor misbehavior, according to the records obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

In July alone, law enforcement rangers handled more than 11,000 incidents at the 10 most visited national parks.

In Yellowstone, rangers are recording more wildlife violations, more people treading on sensitive thermal areas and more camping in off-limit areas. The rule-breaking puts visitors in harm's way and can damage resources and displace wildlife, officials said.

Just an example of what rangers have to deal with; people putting self-interest above safety.

COMMENT 725968 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 09:25 AM

When I come back I'm definitely going to become a lawyer.

COMMENT 725967P helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 09:13 AM

The last I read, they were hoping to get forgiveness for delinquent taxes in the $Millions. If that doesn't happen, they may not have the money for a museum.

COMMENT 725966 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 09:06 AM

The salt air environment above the breaking surf is a disaster for paintings, sculpture, or rare books. I don't believe there is an effective solution to this threat. It could be a meeting place for small professional symposia that would rely on shuttles from beach area motels/hotels. Public parking of significant size will have to rely on shuttles like at the Getty. Ms. Lodge has great judgement and could be a positive influence.

COMMENT 725964 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 08:50 AM

Lawyers and business managers have run her Estate for years.

COMMENT 725962 helpful negative off topic

Coyote Sighting on Fairview

2016-08-28 08:07 AM

Roger, you couldn't "bust a grape" in Gallo's backyard!

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 08:03 AM

The ones where you see the cops talking on their cell phones.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Bicyclist Down on Valerio

2016-08-28 08:00 AM

Subject transported to Cottage hospital.

COMMENT 725959P helpful negative off topic

Meadow Lake Reservoir

2016-08-28 07:49 AM

Thanks for a little summer vacation to the lake(s)! Nice pics!

COMMENT 725958 helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 07:47 AM

Roger, What is a phony checkpoint?

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Bicyclist Down on Valerio

2016-08-28 07:37 AM

600 Block of West Valerio Fire department on scene SBPD not there yet but responding.

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Bicyclist Down on Valerio

2016-08-28 07:34 AM

SBPD on scene.

read complete comment thread

EDDIEKD helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 07:25 AM

Nothing seems to be happening at all, except you can bet thousands of billable hours by law firms here and in New York have been generated since the last update any of us have heard.

COMMENT 725954 helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 07:10 AM

I highly doubt drunks check Edhat before they leave the club or bar. And yes they usually hang out their once a month.

COMMENT 725953 helpful negative off topic

Meadow Lake Reservoir

2016-08-28 07:03 AM

Good job---Great Pics

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 06:59 AM

That was the phony check point the real one was acouple blocks away.

COMMENT 725951P helpful negative off topic

Checkpoint on State and Islay

2016-08-28 06:58 AM

OP. Good job warning drunk drivers.

COMMENT 725950 helpful negative off topic

Tiny Lizards

2016-08-28 06:40 AM

Well, I'll defend cats: The so-called 'house cat' has been domesticated for at least 3,000 years, and no environmental catastrophe can be blamed on the species Felis catus. (At least none that I'm aware of, but maybe someone can gin one up.)

There's a whole army of small animals other than cats that will eat those baby lizards like potato chips, but I suspect the vast majority will be eaten by birds, because that's what birds do.

When my daughter was 10, "blue bellies" & alligator lizards were her whole world (she's earning her biology degree up at Monterey state) - we had a "secret" spot on the Santa Ynez river that was "blue-bellie Heaven" - some of the biggest, fattest lizards we'd ever seen were everywhere out there. When we visited the spot a year later there wasn't a single one, and there were no cats to blame. It didn't take long to find the culprit - a goshawk. When you see one hovering, he's probably about to swoop down on a lizard...

COMMENT 725949 helpful negative off topic

2016-08-28 06:20 AM

Attorneys Price, Postel and Parma were active in the affairs of the estate at the onset. Try asking them.

One recalls there were big plans for establishing an Art/ Museum center.

COMMENT 725948P helpful negative off topic

Attempted Kidnapping

2016-08-28 01:59 AM

This is one of the reasons I love Edhat. I knew the info would be here.

At around 6:15PM I was riding the Goleta Bike Path and saw a Sheriff's Dept vehicle with officers right next to the path, at Obern Trail entrance. Helicopter circling and circling.

On my way back, 10 mins later, another Sheriff's vehicle was parked at a different spot, taking up 1/2 the bike path. I slowed down, saying I'd be walking my dog in the area soon and asked did I need to worry?

I was told "no," but carried my pepper spray on my walk at dusk, just to be safe. The officers were gone by then, and the helicopter had left, but the whole thing was kinda spooky.

read complete comment thread

49% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

QUESTION ABOUT A COMMENT?

See a comment that you think should be deleted?? See a comment that was deleted, that you think shouldn't have been? Email ed@edhat.com. Thanks!

# # # #

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY